Husband wants to return to Scotland after 28 years

RMac

Thank you everyone, I have lived in Canada before and I found that it was a matter of buying really good winter clothes and just getting out and moving around. I also have a very active dog which forces me to go out for a walk every day, I found Scottish people to be genuine and warm so all in all we are looking forward to getting there and sorting housing out. My only concern is that we are taking our dog and rentals don't seem to allow dogs so the poor thing might be spending a bit of time in a kennel.

You'll probably find one that does - we don't advertise as accepting pets but do on a case by case basis

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You'll probably find one that does - we don't advertise as accepting pets but do on a case by case basis

Thank you LR I hope you are right, I am planning on offering extra rent and an extra bond, plus we will pay for carpet cleaning etc, she is a very well behaved dog but quite big and hairy so I think she isn't very appealing to landlords

The thing is equally you will hear the same things from people in Australia, she just sounds incredibly homesick.

Also when you have your heart set on going to live somewhere else all you see are the negatives, it could be sunny for a month and the first cold day that is all you see. To be fair Scotland isn't somewhere I would live BUT I have quite a few friends up there and they seem to have very good lives.

Got to agree with this quote, I made the jump across the pond and return home next week. absolutely love Australia, even the challenges we have faced. I was back in Scotland last month, and being away makes you appreciate where you are from wether that be Australia or Scotland

Well I am going to disagree with the above. I am really so not the person to live in Australia and constantly daydream in my head about what I could have, or what I have known. I don't think it is as simple as label "homesick" and all you see is negative. I have not liked living in Australia for 8 years. Can not wait to move. But quite calmly and logically have two years to go, and am perfectly happy with my day to day life. I have a lot to be grateful for, and I see the positive every day.

Personality has to come into it. It does not mean I don't look ahead to when we move back to England. I can cope and use my time here wisely for me and my family.

But if you can't, and it is all consuming and the homesickness gets out of control, then I am sure that must be really awful and you need genuine support and understanding.

I agree. My first winter in Adelaide was so cold and miserable due to the inadequate insulation, heating and poor build of the rental that until I moved, I cooked only the once in the house after work. I spent those first 2 months eating out at at restaurants and fast food outlets before coming straight home and into bed. My flat in Scotland was far more welcoming and warmer.

This made me smile because is true. For Adelaide or Melbourne. Houses have poor insulation and no central heating. Freezing in winter and when we have heat waves is unberably hot. I never been so cold in my life (indoors). Houses in the UK are always warm and toasty. This cold I didn't expect and have to result to electric heating in a few rooms of the house.

Good luck with everything! I'm in a similar situation to you, I'm an Aussie, DH is Scottish. We lived in Adelaide for 10 years, and just moved back to Scotland 2 just over 2 months ago. So far we don't regret a thing!

We have 6 kids, 11, 10, 8, 7, 5 and 4, and they LOVE it here. We're on a farm in the highlands, so they have heaps of room to run about outside (something we didn't have in the suburbs of Adelaide). They have all made new friends really easily at school, and DH's famiily are much nicer and closer than mine, so the kids now have aunties/uncles/cousins/etc. that they get along with really well.

Anyway, it looks like you've already made your decision to move over, so i just wanted to wish you all the best, and i hope you all love it here as much as we do :)

• 1 month later...

Very reassuring Mrs Doyle, well thank you for all of the information, it's all happening now, our house sold in two weeks for a good price, due to an extended settlement on the house sale (I can't get my visa until we have the money) we are now looking at a mid October move date, we are all very excited, my husband is more relaxed than I have ever seen him and the kids can't wait to spend time with their cousins. My husband has found out that he will be able to keep doing his job (he is a software developer working from home) after we move so that takes some of the pressure off. I am planning on renting an air BnB house for a month if we have trouble getting a rental from here, the dog will go into a kennel and the kids will just have to home school until we are sorted. We are going to book a move cube because we are giving most of our hand me down furniture away. Currently planning a trip in the new year, flights are so cheap from the UK!

Very reassuring Mrs Doyle, well thank you for all of the information, it's all happening now, our house sold in two weeks for a good price, due to an extended settlement on the house sale (I can't get my visa until we have the money) we are now looking at a mid October move date, we are all very excited, my husband is more relaxed than I have ever seen him and the kids can't wait to spend time with their cousins. My husband has found out that he will be able to keep doing his job (he is a software developer working from home) after we move so that takes some of the pressure off. I am planning on renting an air BnB house for a month if we have trouble getting a rental from here, the dog will go into a kennel and the kids will just have to home school until we are sorted. We are going to book a move cube because we are giving most of our hand me down furniture away. Currently planning a trip in the new year, flights are so cheap from the UK!

You are making the right choice - Scotland is an amazing country.

Edited by Johnny

• 2 months later...
We moved to Scotland last month. It was a really easy transition. Particularly getting the kids unto schools etc. it is a beautiful and dramatic part of the world. We're on the islands so a bit isolated, but I love it.

Lucky you! :smile: If I had to live anywhere other than Tasmania it would be one of the Hebridean Islands.

We moved to Scotland last month. It was a really easy transition. Particularly getting the kids unto schools etc. it is a beautiful and dramatic part of the world. We're on the islands so a bit isolated, but I love it.

Which island? My husbands family are from North Uist ad we spent some time there, it is stunningly beautiful. The schools seem to have a good standard of education and I can't wait for school lunch. I should have my interview at the consulate in a few days, I have all of my evidence prepared so hopefully it is just a formality.

I take one point of your original post - you have doubled your equity in your property, and who knows how long the market will stay buoyant? Bearing in mind that you will likely be at least visiting to recce the situation, I would suggest selling your property now with the view to either buying in Scotland or, Plan B, when you return to Australia, to have a large lump sum to buy property in another area. As a West Aussie since 1965 I would recommend you look over here, but that is another topic.

I take one point of your original post - you have doubled your equity in your property, and who knows how long the market will stay buoyant? Bearing in mind that you will likely be at least visiting to recce the situation, I would suggest selling your property now with the view to either buying in Scotland or, Plan B, when you return to Australia, to have a large lump sum to buy property in another area. As a West Aussie since 1965 I would recommend you look over here, but that is another topic.

So far that's exactly what we have done, we so,d in early July at a bit of a peak and are now awaiting our move in a week or two