Visa Price Changes in the Budget

Nemesis

Anyone else seen this yet?

http://www.immi.gov.au/pub-res/Documents/budget/VAC-increases-fact-sheet.pdf

Visa price rises from 1st July

It includes a price increase in line with inflation (2.3 per cent) on visas which face strong international competition or have been impacted by recent price increases. These include specific visas within the Permanent Migration Skill Stream, Skilled Graduate, Temporary Long Stay Business (Subclass 457), Visitor and Studentvisa streams

Also makes onshore and offshore Spouse Visas the same price, $6865, get in quick if you;re planning to apply offshore!:arghh:

That's about treble (I think) what I paid less than 2 years ago for the 309/100. Wow.

I know! I can't remember exactly what we paid but I'm sure this new figure is about three times as much. Horrific. Thats two huge increases in offshore fees in two years.

Tax-free threshold for those on working holiday visas to go as well:

"From July 2016, those on a working holiday in Australia will no longer enjoy a tax free threshold of up to $18,200, and will instead be forced to pay 32.5 per cent tax from their first dollar earned."

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-05-12/budget-2015-working-holiday-crackdown-to-yield-millions/6464330

Edited by mungbean

"From July 2016, those on a working holiday in Australia will no longer enjoy a tax free threshold of up to $18,200, and will instead be forced to pay 32.5 per cent tax from their first dollar earned."

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-05-12/budget-2015-working-holiday-crackdown-to-yield-millions/6464330

Assuming it gets through the Senate ... one can never be certain about these measures getting cross-Bench support (given the ALP's default position of opposing Coalition proposals).

Best regards.

I paid just over 1500 GBP for my 309/100 in August 2013. Seems like two years later, this will be 3400-ish! Nice little earner...

Yes, and when you and I paid I think the exchange rate was about $1.60 to the £ so if the $ hadn't fallen the cost now would have been well over £4,000.

Wow my onshore partner visa was $3000 in Dec 2012.

Onshore partner visas have always been way more expensive, Offshore have now had two huge price hikes in a short time to bring them level.

Edited by Nemesis

I can't see where it says it. Because you pay $1,145 for the partner visa from pmv. All I can see is the partner visa's at full price

Really would be unfair to expect PMV to pay the whole price twice. Hopefully when it comes into force there will be an interim price.....hopefully.....

I can't see where it says it. Because you pay $1,145 for the partner visa from pmv. All I can see is the partner visa's at full price

Gosh - I sure hope you're right and I'm wrong!! Where did you find this fee?? I would like to hope we would get a reduced Partner visa fee.....

I don't think the existing PMV to 820/801 transition people have anything to worry about. I'd guess there'll be a new line in the Fees and Charges listing that says something like: 820/801 for holder of 300 visa lodged before 1 July 2015 $1145.

And given that PMVs applied for after 30 June 2015 will cost the same as 820/801s, I'd also guess that the cost for the transition to a Partner visa for those PMV holders will stay at $1145 or perhaps even reduce.

It looks clear that the Govt is trying to encourage offshore application for partner visas rather than onshore whilst on bridging visas, and that they want to dissuade backpackers who stitch together a de facto application with an obliging girlfriend/boyfriend at the end of a working holiday. If people rort the system, the scheme will change to close the loopholes, disadvantaging both rosters and genuine people in the process.

• 1 month later...

I don't understand this at all.

This isn't 2011 when the dollar was at an all time high and people were moving over here getting bumper wages.

The dollar is on a downward spiral, the cost of living is high and Australia needs working holiday visa holders to come in numbers to do the roles that many Australians are not willing to do.

This, coupled with the crazy visa fees strike me as an avenue the Govt can try to exploit to generate additional income that will neither upset voters nor cause a media storm. It looks like a quick fix without consideration of longer term implications.