Help! Moving to the UK

Newaussie11

Hi,

I'm a 28 year old Australian Female looking to move to the UK. As a qualified teacher, I am quite able to work throughout the UK, however I have no idea where I should live. I will be travelling on my own so its important that I can find a place that really suits me. Basically I'm looking for;

* a medium to large sized town or city.

* a lively place with lots of young, 20 somethings like myself (perhaps a university town?).

* a good nightlife and friendly people.

* some form of transport system

Are there are there places you could suggest? The weather and scenary are not that important. And it doesn't have to be close to London.

For comparison, I really liked edinburgh. Somewhere like that would be great.

Thank you so much for helping. As I said, I really have no idea where to begin looking.

Lancaster maybe.its got a great big university.good nightlife in the city, public transport/ trains and you are close to the Lake District /pennines and maybe an hour and half from the Scottish border.just a thought. Good luck.

Although i come from Newcastle,which i think is a great city.And not far from Durham City.Which i think is another great city,and both have what you are looking for.And much cheaper living than anywhere in the South of England.But my pick is Nottingham.full of students,and plenty to do.We stayed there for 3 months.The Shopping Center is fantastic.A real special time to be there is Xmas>The huge town square is made into a ice rink.It really is something.Even if you don't live there,it's a place to visit.Robin Hood country.

Hi,

I'm a 28 year old Australian Female looking to move to the UK. As a qualified teacher, I am quite able to work throughout the UK, however I have no idea where I should live. I will be travelling on my own so its important that I can find a place that really suits me. Basically I'm looking for;

* a medium to large sized town or city.

* a lively place with lots of young, 20 somethings like myself (perhaps a university town?).

* a good nightlife and friendly people.

* some form of transport system

Are there are there places you could suggest? The weather and scenary are not that important. And it doesn't have to be close to London.

For comparison, I really liked edinburgh. Somewhere like that would be great.

Thank you so much for helping. As I said, I really have no idea where to begin looking.

You could pick up a map and pick out just about any large town or city and they are all going to be lively, have young people, transport and plenty to do. If you know you like Edinburgh then how about that?

Within England, the northern cities will be more affordable than the southern ones which may or may not be a factor. If I were going north I would pick Manchester, York or Durham. In the south perhaps Cambridge, Bath or indeed London. Most of your fellow Aussies end up in London, I have never met one anywhere else!

I like Bristol - or Brighton, but it can be expensive.

If you are on a budget - there is lots of life up north. I quite liked Newcastle. York is a place I've also wanted to go to as from what I've seen it is very beautiful - maybe others can comment.

My advice is to head south! I come from Chelmsford, which has just been granted city status. It's growing at a great rate and has some of the best schools in the country as well as being a university city. It offers easy access to London, within 30 minutes, and is within 90 mins drive of 6 international airports, so taking off for the summer hols in Europe is cheap and easy. There's a second railway station planned and an extension to the city centre shopping is already under way. It was the sunniest place in the UK a few years ago but I think it's been knocked off the perch now. It's also close to the coast and TOWIE frequently films there....What more could you want ;-)

Any of the cities already mentioned would suit you, I think.

My pick would be Newcastle first - we moved up to the NE four years ago with three teenagers who've lived in quite a few cities and this is definitely their favourite, although our middle daughter is now in Bristol and absolutely LOVES being there!

There's a great public transport system in Newcastle, with the metro system which can get you direct to the airport, main railway station and the coast really easily. There's a good bus network and Blueline taxis which are very cheap! Housing is also inexpensive compared to much of the rest of the country. There's loads to see and do, and it's surrounded by beautiful countryside and fabulous beaches. I don't work for the tourist board, honestly!

There really are so many great cities for young people here - Leeds, Manchester, Sheffield in the north - all have really good music 'scenes'. Edinburgh or Glasgow in Scotland. Bristol would be my pick for the South, but it is more expensive to live there than further north. It's close to Bath which is worth visiting and also the lovely beaches and countryside of Cornwall and South Wales. Cardiff is also worth considering - everyone I know who live or have lived there love it.

Almost all UK cities are university towns, so you're really spoilt for choice!

I'd go to Bath or Bristol.Bristol is larger and probably more to offer culturally.Bristolman?Perhaps you can share your thoughts?

Bristol or Bath would get my vote for sure, both nice places to live and have a thriving night life. Bristol is definitely cheaper than Bath accommodation wise. Bath is too trendy for its own good lol

I would second Leicester.

Two big big universities in the city. Small enough to be easy to get about, big enough to have everything you need. Being central is a big plus as Nottingham is half an hour, London about an hour, Birmingham 45 mins.

Archived