Is Anyone Happy?

HelenDoick

I have spent the last hour reading what I can only see as people from all walks of life not being happy living here. Everyone seemed to be leaving or wanting to leave. Is this true?

I agree. A lot of ex-pats do seem to be unhappy here - from what I have read on other forums at least.

Shockingly a lot of people seem to watch Neighbours or Home & Away in the UK and think they will move to Oz based on that misguided view alone; without any real knowledge of the place. Years ago on another forum (no joke), someone was complaining that Rooty Hill was nothing like Home & Away!!!!! Given that Home & Away is filmed at gorgeous Palm Beach, and Rooty Hill is pretty much considered the arse end of the universe by many people - I am not surprised that they were unhappy. But it does show a startling lack of proper research before moving here for some people.

I do notice that a lot of people change when they have children (suddenly find themselves without family backup and support) and become very homesick for the UK.

I backpacked for a year here and then a few years later come here on holiday for six weeks and with those two visits I knew I wanted to live here. I have now been here for twenty happy years with no regrets. I have never felt sad or missed the UK at all.

But that is just me. Everyone is different with different needs.

Edited by jumpingjellybean

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The pubs are still alright in UK but the prices have gone up. You don't get much change out of a fiver now for a pint of beer. But then again we buy mostly slabs here and drink them at home, that's the thing to do.

A pint of beer a fiver ? ...absolute nonsense ....roughly £2.50 ...

Hi Everyone.

I am new to this site, coming across it in a search to find fellow poms and their opinions on life in Oz. When I found this site I thought great, I can have a look to see if anyone is living in the suburb I want to move to etc etc. I have spent the last hour reading what I can only see as people from all walks of life not being happy living here. Everyone seemed to be leaving or wanting to leave. Is this true?

I have been in Sydney for 14 years. Originally from the south coast ( Worthing and Brighton) and have generally loved it here. Although over the last three years I have been home sick and miss my family beyond belief. In saying that I have a wonderful life here, with a huge group of friends ranging from Poms ( some whom I have been friends with since arriving) to Kiwi, South Africans, Aussies etc etc. I am generally happy. But can not help that little thud in my gut that I get each day, a little sadness towards home. It seems everyone on this forum may feel this too, Or is it just a few?

I would love to hear that people are still loving it and thinking if was the right move. Yes the cost of living has changed dramatically sinced I arrive in 2000, the damn GFC and house prices are just a sore subject to me, and lets not go into the politics ( groan), but do any of you genuinely feel its still the best decision?

Love to know.

Best.

Helen

PS: If a 'Soyboy' reads this, please let me know if you are still in Bundeena.....It looks a perfect place to live, even with the weir flooding rarely ( who cares about that!!!)

You are probably being highly selective in the threads you look at. Count the number of threads featuring 'whingeing Poms' and then compare them to the number of 'happy' threads, or threads about topics which have nothing to do with whingeing, often about issues which have nothing to do with life in Australia.

And if you are interested in statistics on emigration to Australia from the UK, and the numbers of unhappy returnees, the happy 'living permanently in Australia' have always been in the majority.

I agree. A lot of ex-pats do seem to be unhappy here - from what I have read on other forums at least.

Shockingly a lot of people seem to watch Neighbours or Home & Away in the UK and think they will move to Oz based on that misguided view alone; without any real knowledge of the place. Years ago on another forum (no joke), someone was complaining that Rooty Hill was nothing like Home & Away!!!!! Given that Home & Away is filmed at gorgeous Palm Beach, and Rooty Hill is pretty much considered the arse end of the universe by many people - I am not surprised that they were unhappy. But it does show a startling lack of proper research before moving here for some people.

I do notice that a lot of people change when they have children (suddenly find themselves without family backup and support) and become very homesick for the UK.

I backpacked for a year here and then a few years later come here on holiday for six weeks and with those two visits I knew I wanted to live here. I have now been here for twenty happy years with no regrets. I have never felt sad or missed the UK at all.

Rooty Hill might have a funny name but it's never been the arse end of anywhere. It is "just" another Sydney suburb where they don't depend on living near a beach to have a good life. Check out Rooty Hill RSL club next time you are in the area to see how the suburb has prospered.

Anybody who emigrates to Australia solely because they liked the way of life depicted in a soap opera probably deserves to "fail" for not doing enough research.

Yep I had a couple of nights where I struggled. The nephews and my Sisters fella paid for a boxing match on TV. We watched the warm up bouts, it got to something like 11:00 pm and the main fight hadn't even started. I couldn't be bothered to hang around and went to bed. Next morning, when they surfaced about 11:00am they told me I hadn't missed much as it was boring and over pretty quick.

What I found was that they got up a lot later than I'm used to. I would be up waiting for my Sis to come and take me up to visit Mum in the care home we had got her in. I would be up at 7:00ish which is pretty late for me and invariably she would ring about 9:00 saying I'm running a bit late.:rolleyes:

For some reason they always seemed to be in a rush too. Maybe I've become too relaxed living here?

We found similar, in that a "day out" with the relos meant them getting up at around 11am, having lunch, the heading out at about 1pm or so, then having to get back for around 4 to feed the dogs/see their TV programs/whatever else they came up with. Our days out normally start at around 8am when we get out of the house, and then we come back at sometime between 7pm and midnight. Takes some getting use to, so we never hold our breath when a "day out" is mentioned.

A pint of beer a fiver ? ...absolute nonsense ....roughly £2.50 ...

Over 4 pounds last time I was in London (2012) if drinking in a half decent bar.

Apparently now 3.50 in my home town in Midlands with wetherspoons being the only exception. Also most the pubs seem to have closed down.

Rooty Hill might have a funny name but it's never been the arse end of anywhere. It is "just" another Sydney suburb where they don't depend on living near a beach to have a good life. Check out Rooty Hill RSL club next time you are in the area to see how the suburb has prospered.

I have been to the Rooty Hill RSL many times in the past - great fun.

However, "arse end" is NOT my name for it. It is just one of those common terms that are popular amongst Sydneysiders. I was just repeating it here to illustrate a point.

For example:

Another common knowledge name (especially among the truck driving community) is calling the whole of the Central Coast "Mount-Druitt-by-the-Sea".

Or how people in Avalon are perceived to be pretentious ******s - see "Avalon Now" on YouTube

Or how Tasmanian's are supposedly "closely" related.

Or how kiwis love their sheep.

It does not mean any of this is really true (all very silly).......it is just one of those things that people say to identify a place.

We found similar, in that a "day out" with the relos meant them getting up at around 11am, having lunch, the heading out at about 1pm or so, then having to get back for around 4 to feed the dogs/see their TV programs/whatever else they came up with. Our days out normally start at around 8am when we get out of the house, and then we come back at sometime between 7pm and midnight. Takes some getting use to, so we never hold our breath when a "day out" is mentioned.

Here up at 5.30 all seasons ...gym for 6 ....back for 7.30 ...walk the dog ..shower ..daughter to school ....off to work ...if works not busy ....golf .....if its a Tuesday or Friday ..pub .....NO WORRIES ....no late finishes either......

Over 4 pounds last time I was in London (2012) if drinking in a half decent bar.

Apparently now 3.50 in my home town in Midlands with wetherspoons being the only exception. Also most the pubs seem to have closed down.

Oh dear iam going to have to take a photo ....i use one of the best pubs in Solihull ...£2.48 pint of worthingtons .....most of the beer is under £3....

Never met anyone moving here who thought it would be like 'Neighbours' (In fact like me most people I know have never seen the show - is it still aired?). People may come for an adventure, then feel they are ready for a different one, they may miss aspects of the UK that they took for granted, cultural differences may be too much for them (even workplaces of Brisbane and Melbourne are very different). Myriad reasons, rarely simple. Some like me may not be unhappy per se but realise that their priorities have changed and needs may be met more by a return to the UK.

To be honest I thought it would be like neighbours lol , but it's the timing now I do think that , I think if I had of come in 2006 ish like someone I know I think I may be singing from a differnt hymn sheet now maybe , one because my son in UK would of got on visa and another jobs ! And im loving UK if I'm honest I feel right at home lol spoke to my hubby earlier he said jobs fine just hate the family life situ atm he's at I've had enough stage I think now but I'll fly out to him when I get back . Also pints are cheap here it was 2:85 in a pub in Wales other day for a pint , a full English breakfast which was yummie was 3:49 in a cafe in Wales . Shopping cheaper and lots of variety meat and petrol dearer car insurance for kids dearer my 21 yr old pays 86 dollars a month insurance fully cp be about 3 grand in UK . My sons electrics cheaper carnt compare gas lol . Variety and a decent quality I'm missing that aswell for things , I miss lots of things lots and tons and I carnt explain but I know I feel comfortable but my other two sons in qld r sold on oz so we shall after see . Yes people do seem to rush around here but I miss that too call me strange but I carnt sit still I have to get things done lol :) I do struggle with the laid backness in oz I don't know why ! :) but deffinatley variety in UK and a sense of belonging . My husband isn't bothered he will settle anywhere but he knows what I'm saying also :) but we shall see over next twelve months how it goes :)

As you say we are all different. Also circumstances change as do people. Also far removed from only ex pats wanting out. An increasing number of educated Australians see futures elsewhere as well.

Something to consider for want to be immigrants. Kids taking off at some stage and a rather high rate of marital discord.

Never met anyone moving here who thought it would be like 'Neighbours' (In fact like me most people I know have never seen the show - is it still aired?). People may come for an adventure, then feel they are ready for a different one, they may miss aspects of the UK that they took for granted, cultural differences may be too much for them (even workplaces of Brisbane and Melbourne are very different). Myriad reasons, rarely simple. Some like me may not be unhappy per se but realise that their priorities have changed and needs may be met more by a return to the UK.

Where we live is more like Home and Away but without the murders, explosions, sleeping around (actually might be a bit of that going on that I don't know about:wink:), river boys, etc. etc. It's the murder and crime capital of Aus according to that program. You wouldn't dream of moving there.

No, in real life it's much better.:cool:

As you say we are all different. Also circumstances change as do people. Also far removed from only ex pats wanting out. An increasing number of educated Australians see futures elsewhere as well.

Something to consider for want to be immigrants. Kids taking off at some stage and a rather high rate of marital discord.

Kids take off at some stage no matter where you live these days flag. Don't think the rate of marital discord is any higher here than anywhere else TBH. Pretty high rates of marriage breakdown everywhere.

Oh dear iam going to have to take a photo ....i use one of the best pubs in Solihull ...£2.48 pint of worthingtons .....most of the beer is under £3....

That's good, but doesn't solve it being 3.50 in my home town which is around the national average after a google.

Kids take off at some stage no matter where you live these days flag. Don't think the rate of marital discord is any higher here than anywhere else TBH. Pretty high rates of marriage breakdown everywhere.

Rate of marital discord very high here among migrants. Over the years of knowing many Brit's/Europeans the vast majority by far are no longer together. And yes kids leave Perth not only for excitement but in many cases for a career opportunity. Perth has limitations in that area for uni educated and how.

Where we live is more like Home and Away but without the murders, explosions, sleeping around (actually might be a bit of that going on that I don't know about:wink:), river boys, etc. etc. It's the murder and crime capital of Aus according to that program. You wouldn't dream of moving there.

No, in real life it's much better.:cool:

I thought it displayed the great suburban slumber rather well. Together with perpetual blue skies and al too often one dimensional people. In the days when I caught it a few times in the 80's, it was number one in UK or up there a something of a motivator to move Down Under. Don't recall murders though. Or excitement for that matter. They must have spiced it up later to slow down the migrant intake?

Well Perth was the alleged capital of things Wicca around that time. So if a Witch or Warlock real life was likely better. Plenty of activity on the married action front as well both with and without the other partners consent.

Guest guest30085

Its funny how our individual perceptions can differ. I don't see higher levels of marital discord, in fact out of the people I know here who have migrated, I see stronger connections rather than discord, with couples having to rely on each other more due to less social support and learning to be more self sufficient, their relationships have strengthened. Of course, some will separate, but I haven't come across it as the norm. I also have seen far higher numbers getting married in Perth, particularly in the 20-30 age bracket, far more than those I knew in the same age bracket in the UK, (with the exception of those from the Asian community as marriage is still very much the considered path for young people). As for younger ones moving away, out of my six distant cousins here in Perth, who are all aged 24 upto 31, all of them still live in Perth, with only one who moved away for a year due to a long distance relationship, some are university educated also. Again, it's personal experience, but that's my reality and how I see it.