Is Anyone Happy?

HelenDoick

Hi Everyone.

I am new to this site, coming across it in a search to find fellow poms and their opinions on life in Oz. When I found this site I thought great, I can have a look to see if anyone is living in the suburb I want to move to etc etc. I have spent the last hour reading what I can only see as people from all walks of life not being happy living here. Everyone seemed to be leaving or wanting to leave. Is this true?

I have been in Sydney for 14 years. Originally from the south coast ( Worthing and Brighton) and have generally loved it here. Although over the last three years I have been home sick and miss my family beyond belief. In saying that I have a wonderful life here, with a huge group of friends ranging from Poms ( some whom I have been friends with since arriving) to Kiwi, South Africans, Aussies etc etc. I am generally happy. But can not help that little thud in my gut that I get each day, a little sadness towards home. It seems everyone on this forum may feel this too, Or is it just a few?

I would love to hear that people are still loving it and thinking if was the right move. Yes the cost of living has changed dramatically sinced I arrive in 2000, the damn GFC and house prices are just a sore subject to me, and lets not go into the politics ( groan), but do any of you genuinely feel its still the best decision?

Love to know.

Best.

Helen

PS: If a 'Soyboy' reads this, please let me know if you are still in Bundeena.....It looks a perfect place to live, even with the weir flooding rarely ( who cares about that!!!)

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am happy here. I've live more than half my life here now and this is now home. I visit friends when I'm in the UK and they come here to visit me so I never lose contact with Scotland/England. In a perfect life I would spend a few months each year in the UK and the rest here but my Aussie husband isn't keen on flying long distances anymore and a couple of weeks over there would be enough for him. I'm going on my own for a few weeks on 1st May.

As for it being the best decision - well it was for me but I think young couples with a family, house and a good job in the UK should think very carefully indeed before migrating.

Happy as a pig in muck and excited for our future. We've been here nearly 5 years. Looking forward to starting to explore after lots of hard work setting up and starting from scratch. I've a feeling things are just starting for us, a new chapter of exploration.Ive no ties back to the UK so no longing for me. All my children and my Grandchild live in Australia so I suppose for me it's easy. Loving my new found freedom of semi retirement and looking forward to my OH having a bit more free time soon hopefully. Our youngest is 14 next month and loves life here. If I could just drop a few more kilos life would be perfect :wink:

Lots of migrants are happy and settled here. As with anything the negatives tend to get publicity more than positives now a days, especially on social media. Its worth taking the negatives on board as you may learn something and may even avoid making the same mistakes. Cal x

As for me personally, we will mark 9 years here towards the end of this year and we have no real regrets this far.

I can only see as people from all walks of life not being happy living here. Everyone seemed to be leaving or wanting to leave. Is this true?

There is a special thread on PIO with positive stories of migrating and settling. Can't remember the exact title but a search would find it.

You have to remember that most people who have settled well don't frequent forums like this....they are off living their happy lives.

It is the people who are struggling who are most likely to go searching for support and advice from others on online forums. Therefore it is very easy to get a skewed perception just from reading a forum like this.

We're happy here in our little bit of Sydney and have been for six years. I do get the odd twinge of guilt about our girls growing up without their extended family, but they don't know any different and wouldn't want to move back to the UK so I tend to think of that as something that I have to shoulder. I don't really feel homesick, and although when we visited the UK in 2013 I felt nostalgic and wondered if we should move back, having come back home (because home is Sydney for us) those feelings have gone. To be honest, I don't post here as much as I used to, simply because I am out enjoying life. I think that you will find the same of most people who are PIO members and happy here in Aus. There is a bit of an imbalance towards the negative views perhaps because those people are coming here to find answers on returning to the UK, or letting off steam on the things that they aren't happy with. I only really post when something catches my eye, or if someone has asked a specific question about something I am familiar with.

We are in Engadine area, so only about 25-30 minutes from Bundeena. It is a lovely place, and we did consider moving there before we bought this house. Our only negative (which was the reason that we didn't move there) was because OH would have wanted to get the ferry/train to work rather than drive all the way to Hurstville, but in the winter the ferry stops too early for the hours he works so he would have had to drive home through the national park in the dark/rain/fog. We go to Bundeena often to walk or have a sit on the beach and I used to have a little jewellery stall there at the market once a month. I would still move over there, but I am outvoted by OH (who wants the easy drive/train to work) and the kids (who love their school).

Hi Everyone.

I am new to this site, coming across it in a search to find fellow poms and their opinions on life in Oz. When I found this site I thought great, I can have a look to see if anyone is living in the suburb I want to move to etc etc. I have spent the last hour reading what I can only see as people from all walks of life not being happy living here. Everyone seemed to be leaving or wanting to leave. Is this true?

I have been in Sydney for 14 years. Originally from the south coast ( Worthing and Brighton) and have generally loved it here. Although over the last three years I have been home sick and miss my family beyond belief. In saying that I have a wonderful life here, with a huge group of friends ranging from Poms ( some whom I have been friends with since arriving) to Kiwi, South Africans, Aussies etc etc. I am generally happy. But can not help that little thud in my gut that I get each day, a little sadness towards home. It seems everyone on this forum may feel this too, Or is it just a few?

I would love to hear that people are still loving it and thinking if was the right move. Yes the cost of living has changed dramatically sinced I arrive in 2000, the damn GFC and house prices are just a sore subject to me, and lets not go into the politics ( groan), but do any of you genuinely feel its still the best decision?

Love to know.

Best.

Helen

PS: If a 'Soyboy' reads this, please let me know if you are still in Bundeena.....It looks a perfect place to live, even with the weir flooding rarely ( who cares about that!!!)

Without a shadow of doubt and has been for the last 52 years.thumbs.gif

Cheers, Bobj.

Happy as the day we got here and still appreciate it just as much. Sure the cost of living has gone up, houses are more expensive. Name me one place that hasn't seen the same. I've was back in the UK last November for my Dad's funeral. It was grey and depressing and the only thing I found cheaper was going out for a beer. That's good though as that is one of the only things that's available for a decent time out from the house and TV.

Happy as the day we got here and still appreciate it just as much. Sure the cost of living has gone up, houses are more expensive. Name me one place that hasn't seen the same. I've was back in the UK last November for my Dad's funeral. It was grey and depressing and the only thing I found cheaper was going out for a beer. That's good though as that is one of the only things that's available for a decent time out from the house and TV.

Still being able to wander down to your local is a delight in Britain. I realise they are declining in number but how much more social is that than staying home most nights most appear to in Perth.(especially during the week)

Hi Everyone.

Love to know.

Best.

Helen

Just a few 'empty vessels' who have made it their mission in life to deter anybody in the UK from coming and/or to 'encourage' everybody who is actually living here to go back to the UK.

I am on my second stint in Sydney - 1978 to 1996 and 2008 to the present - and I am happy here. I have my 'ups and downs' of course, but I have no intention of going back to the UK, perhaps not even for a holiday. There is no point. My parents have passed away and my family are here in Sydney.

I don't think about comparisons with the UK, though I love all things English, from English Premier League to reading the Telegraph and Mail on line. I do not care about the cost of living either, at least not in so far as comparing it to the UK, which is pointless. I live here not there.

Most of us are like me. They 'live' here, not in the UK. They may still have and miss their families, but they have no intention of returning to the UK to live. The ones who are unhappy are the 'tourists.'

Still being able to wander down to your local is a delight in Britain. I realise they are declining in number but how much more social is that than staying home most nights most appear to in Perth.(especially during the week)

When we were young in the UK we used to go to the pub most nights, cards dominos, darts. When we got a bit older and had kids and a mortgage it was too expensive for one and we didn't like waking up with a hangover at 6:00 am with the kids wanting to play. Times change and you have to change with them. My eldest is just the same as we were in the UK when we were his age, he's hardly ever in. There are locals here too flag, just like the UK, but it comes down to cost for one thing and if there are better things to do, which there are here, then it's a lot more healthy than going to the pub.

Don't get me wrong. I loved the selection of boozers in Melton Mowbray, where my sister lived, but apart from doing that it seems to be there really isn't much else that people get up to. Least not in my family, it was either the pub or going out for meals.

I made the effort of joining the local leisure centre while I was there. Only 25M pool for miles and there was only a window of a couple of hours every day where they kindly had one lane for swimming. Had a decent gym though. Couldn't use it if you weren't a member but luckily my nephew knew one of the guys who worked there and sorted a temporary membership. Otherwise I would have been bored out my skull. Only so much running in cold drizzle you can do.:wink:

When we were young in the UK we used to go to the pub most nights, cards dominos, darts. When we got a bit older and had kids and a mortgage it was too expensive for one and we didn't like waking up with a hangover at 6:00 am with the kids wanting to play. Times change and you have to change with them. My eldest is just the same as we were in the UK when we were his age, he's hardly ever in. There are locals here too flag, just like the UK, but it comes down to cost for one thing and if there are better things to do, which there are here, then it's a lot more healthy than going to the pub.

Don't get me wrong. I loved the selection of boozers in Melton Mowbray, where my sister lived, but apart from doing that it seems to be there really isn't much else that people get up to. Least not in my family, it was either the pub or going out for meals.

I made the effort of joining the local leisure centre while I was there. Only 25M pool for miles and there was only a window of a couple of hours every day where they kindly had one lane for swimming. Had a decent gym though. Couldn't use it if you weren't a member but luckily my nephew knew one of the guys who worked there and sorted a temporary membership. Otherwise I would have been bored out my skull. Only so much running in cold drizzle you can do.:wink:

I sort of figured locals went out here in the early 80's. Drink driving laws and society change. Pubs not as cosy nor welcoming as a number of locals there. (Yes I'm aware of plenty of rough ones, have turned on heel and walked straight out of a number of English pubs with an aggro vibe) So IMV there are other factors outside of cost. One can easily go for a pint after work there as often did and rarely did here.

Not necessary a young persons thing either in UK. Far more so inclined here.

^^^ Yes, we enjoyed our nights out at the local pubs in the UK when we were young. Now though, I don't drink much at all and I have a good social life without going to a pub. Even when I'm back in the UK, I rarely go to the local pub.

That brings to mind a couple I knew from work, she Irish he English, who returned to England and couldn't reconcile themselves that the relatives they stayed with went out almost every night to the pub. They were used to bed before ten. It just shows how one changes and adapts to the culture one finds oneself in.

Just a few 'empty vessels' who have made it their mission in life to deter anybody in the UK from coming and/or to 'encourage' everybody who is actually living here to go back to the UK.

I am on my second stint in Sydney - 1978 to 1996 and 2008 to the present - and I am happy here. I have my 'ups and downs' of course, but I have no intention of going back to the UK, perhaps not even for a holiday. There is no point. My parents have passed away and my family are here in Sydney.

I don't think about comparisons with the UK, though I love all things English, from English Premier League to reading the Telegraph and Mail on line. I do not care about the cost of living either, at least not in so far as comparing it to the UK, which is pointless. I live here not there.

Most of us are like me. They 'live' here, not in the UK. They may still have and miss their families, but they have no intention of returning to the UK to live. The ones who are unhappy are the 'tourists.'

But then you live in Sydney (inner city)in the thick of things in a manner of speaking. If you lived out in one of the outer suburbs, (due to being unable to afford different) where life can be hard to find and definitely nothing happens for the most part after darkness you may well re examine the desirability of life under such conditions.

That brings to mind a couple I knew from work, she Irish he English, who returned to England and couldn't reconcile themselves that the relatives they stayed with went out almost every night to the pub. They were used to bed before ten. It just shows how one changes and adapts to the culture one finds oneself in.

It has nothing to do with adapting to the culture for me. Probably because I'm female but I'm not interested in going to a pub every night - even when young and surrounded by really good pubs in Liverpool, we only went out on a Friday after work and maybe a Saturday night before going for a meal. Also I worked in pubs and that put me off - listening to inane conversation all the time and keeping a cheery smile on my face no matter what :wink:

It has nothing to do with adapting to the culture for me. Probably because I'm female but I'm not interested in going to a pub every night - even when young and surrounded by really good pubs in Liverpool, we only went out on a Friday after work and maybe a Saturday night before going for a meal. Also I worked in pubs and that put me off - listening to inane conversation all the time and keeping a cheery smile on my face no matter what :wink:

Now you can get your own back. Have inane conversations of your own without the need of putting on a cherry smile on your face.

I think its normal to have that little tug of homeness pulling at you!Some people leave the UK like they'd leave an ex lover.Full of bitterness and hate and everything is "their"fault (meaning the country)nothing to do with them of course!:wink:They move to Australia,moving on so to speak and become quite anti UK and I guess for some?Thats they're way of coping with it.Some people leave the UK with an "open heart",just really wanting to try somewhere different but have an affectionate place in their hearts for their homeland.Like ex lovers though,just because you feel that little tug,does'nt mean you have to act on it and go back to them!Sometimes all you really need is to recall the good times,smile to yourself,and be grateful for what you have!(Not saying you aren't but you know what I mean lol)

Paul1Perth,its not surprising the UK was grey and depressing if you went in November!I spent 3 mths of winter time in Australia last year and yep p***** it down a lot of the time,quite monsoonal but cold,just like I remembered!:wink:

Edited by Jacaranda