IELTS v.s Pearson Test of English Academic (PTE Academic) | My personal findings

supercow

Thanks KEn

How hard is it to get 8 in all the IELTS as a native English person?

That would depend on how good the native English person's English is. Some people should be grateful they don't have to sit the test as they wouldn't even get a 6. But if you're the sort of person who knows what an apostrophe is for and can tell the difference between there, their and they're it should be a doddle. At the time I took the test they hadn't introduced the 20 points so I was only trying to get 7 in each section. I only got a 7.5 in the writing paper but I'm convinced if I'd practiced beforehand I could have got an 8. I think the writing paper is the hardest and reading and listening papers are extremely easy (I got 9 in each) as they're not subjective you just answer the questions - but not everyone agrees.

Thanks KEn

How hard is it to get 8 in all the IELTS as a native English person?

Plenty of native speakers' English is pretty horrendous - so how long's that piece of string? :)

Hi Supercow,

after reading your detailed and considerate post, I felt that your English level is completely what I am after.

so I have to ask if you can read some of my essays to help me improve my skills?

Besides, I've taken ielts general training for four times and my speaking parts were all 6.5.

Can you also provide some tips to knock down another 0.5 mark please?

please send me an email at xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx if you would like to.

your help will be highly appreciated.

good night.

Gwen

Hi Gwen

I'm not an English tutor, and given my record with IELTS, one can argue I'm pretty rubbish anyway :D

Seeking professional tutelage would certainly be more beneficial. If you have any PTE related questions, then I'd be happy to share my experiences with you.

Hi djes, when my partner 1st took his ielts test he failed by 1/2 mark, we appealed this cost us £70 and took 2 months and the remark was the same !! He took the pte and failed too but it was much quicker to take the test again than to wait for a remark, hope this helps

Well, I'm just home after completing my Academic IELTS today in London. Jeezzzz I didn't think it would be such a long day. Registration opened at 0830, we didn't start the first exam until nearly 1030....1330hrs we finished, and I was given my speaking time slot for 1620 - raging I was gonna miss the All Blacks game! But I got finished at 1630, a bit ahead of time. Long day though, and tiring.

Think I smashed the listening and speaking parts....I'd guess I done OK in the writing, but it's so hard to tell. Think I may have lost a few points on the reading though. Those blooming YES/NO/NOT GIVEN questions are the bane of my life! Fingers crossed though. I shall sit and wait (not so) patiently for the 6th November for my results!

Hi,

I would like to share my personal experience of taking both IELTS-G and PTE-A with who concerns the comparison of these two tests.

I did 10+ times of IELTS before I tried PTE-A once. I got similar results with IELTS every time, about L 8 R 7.5 W 6.5 S 7. However, after so many times of failure to get 7 in each topic (especially for writing), I decided to try PTE-A for some luck. I did the preparation by completing the sample test on PTE's official website and went to have the test on a Saturday. I got L 67 R 66 S 60 W 76 for one attempt.

I reckon PTE-A is much harder to get the desired result (particularly speaking) than IELTS-G for the testers like me at the edge of 7 level. I have been doing IELTS for quite a long time and already been used to the structure and format. I find it pretty challenging to switch the pattern to a new type which requires a lot of testing skills during that 3 hours. Therefore, I went back to IELTS after that and finally got L 8 R 7.5 W 7 S 7 in my next attempt.

My suggestion is that unless you have plenty of time to prepare for PTE-A, you may stay with IELTS if you have already been doing it for a while. My experience is that you will eventually get what you want with IELTS if you try really hard for many times.

Hi

I'm British and English is my first language. I took IELTS last year and didn't do great. Got 9 in the speaking and reading but only got 7.5 in the writing and 8.5 in the listening.

I took PTE yesterday to get a better score. Although it is more difficult the scoring system seems to be much better. Got 90 in all four modules first time. I would recommend doing this test over IELTS as IELTS doesn't seem to give a true reflection of your ability to speak English!!

Cheers

Rob

Ahhh 9 in writing/listening/speaking....7.5 in reading!!! So annoyed!!

Gonna look at the PTE. Do i need a lot of preparation? Could I book it quite quickly, do you think? I did do quite a few practice tests etc for the IELTS. and obviously done OK apart from the reading...but I reckon I could go wrong again on those daft yes/no/not given questions if I were to go for the IELTS again.

My partner did the Pte twice, ielts 4 times and finally passed !! Just hang in there but the Pte is quick to get an appointment quick to get the results, but it's not the same examination setting as my partner found with the Pte there were to many distractions, but I suppose it depends on the test centre hope this helps

Hmmm.

Is it right that my marks will be ok for applying to anmac and ahpra??? It is just the dept of immigration that I'll need to get all 8s? Does that mean I can do the general ielts??

Yes, you can use different IELTS tests for the skill assessment and the visa application.

I'd do PTE if I were you. I did a few hours of preparation. You have to pay for the sample tests but they are 100% the same as the actual test. I got the results from my actual test within 24 hours as well! Much better than the 2 weeks for IELTS. Looking at my results I had a really low score for spelling meaning I made loads of mistakes but the scoring system still gave me full marks in each module as I guess they weight it against other factors...

I took the IELTS and it felt like I was in prison, 3 hours with no alotted break time. I had the smallest desk. It was so small, I could not have my answer sheet, and booklet on the desk at the same time. The booklet I had in my hand. As a native English speaker from the US. It was not too bad. Although, I can see how it can be stressful for a non native English speaker. I think the hardest was the reading. I took the General Training. When I studied, I studied for Academic and GT. I actually think the Academic is easier for me, but it is because I am in the Science field. I am use to science papers, and picking apart and analyzing data. I took about a week to study. I think my advice for Native English Speakers is tons of practice test and you will be fine. focus on the Reading and writing more and your timing! The speaking and listening was a breeze! One thing I do disagree with the Pearson study book is the speed reading. I found it better to to "glance at the reading passage", and go straight to the answers and work backwards. You save a ton of time that way, and you have to go back and look for the answers in the passage anyway. No sense in reading it twice :)

Guest jetandspade

I teach students for a few of the English proficiency tests and PTE seems to be the easiest. I have also sat multiple tests and its probably the most clear test.

Guest jetandspade

The IELTS test is by far the more chosen test in Australia and overseas. However I, and my friends have noticed a different in the amount of students opting for the PTE or TOEFL tests rather than the IELTS tests.

IDP Education (The owners of the IELTS test) are going to become publically listed soon on the ASX so I wonder if their float price will be effected by the extra competition from PTE and TOEFL. This article says that from just operating the IELTS tests they are worth an estimated 450,000,000 Australian dollars. http://www.theaustralian.com.au/business/dataroom/idp-education-float-likely-in-second-half/story-fnjw8txa-1227201948644

PTE test dates are easily available. Their results are declared in less than 5 days after the test. IELTS will hold that 0.5 score in one of the modules of the test. People in need of score of 7 or 8 in each module have to take IELTS several times. It is frustrating sometimes, since you score 8+ in all but writing.

I strongly recommend PTE over IELTS.