British citizen moving back to UK with Aussie baby

twister100

Hi there,

I was born in UK and moved here several years ago and now have dual citizenship.

I am hoping to move back to England within a few months.

My baby's Australian birth certificate is now in so I can get the ball rolling... however I'm not sure where or how I need to roll it?

Is she automatically British?

Do I need to apply for British citizenship for her?

What do I need to do to get UK passport?

Basically for her to have full British rights what do I need to do?

Many thanks

Yey we have just had an aussie baby too and we are moving back to UK too. We have ordered bubs an aussie passport. Exciting times xx

Hi bimbo bread ... Can I ask why you went for an

aussie passport and does it effect the baby's rights only having Aussie or cause hassle in anyway such as passport queues?

thanks, congrats and all the best

Hi bimbo bread ... Can I ask why you went for an

aussie passport and does it effect the baby's rights only having Aussie or cause hassle in anyway such as passport queues?

thanks, congrats and all the best

The baby will need an Aussie passport to leave Australia and a British one to enter the UK (as you say you want her to have full British rights etc).

If the baby was born here and you had at least PR at the time, then the baby is an Australian citizen. She is able to have dual nationality and it is not a problem to have both passports.

You will need permission to move back to the UK though if your partner/ex is not going with you.

Thanks, I started filling in form MN1 and the father has consented there... how can he consent through the online passport process?

I don't think you have to go through that process, just get the baby their UK passport by filling in a Form C2

Getting both passports is a pretty simple process, I applied for my Son's around the same time as each other and they came back within a few weeks. Alternatively, your Daughter will be able to apply for her own Aussie passport when she turns 18 if she wishes to come back, so you really only need to get her the British one for now. As Quoll said, you don't need to fill in MN1.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
The baby will need an Aussie passport to leave Australia and a British one to enter the UK (as you say you want her to have full British rights etc).

Baby doesn't need a UK passport to enter UK, it can enter on an Aussie passport, children under 15 don't need a visa (unless things have changed in the last year, my daughter has entered UK twice on her Aussie passport. She is eligible for a UK passport as both my HB and I are British citizens. We were going to get her passport when we were back in May but forgot to get her photos signed and then just decided that we would wait to apply for it until we moved back. We felt her Aussie passport was more important to get as we do plan to move back to UK and believe that it is easier to get the passport in the country in which you are living in e.g. If we move back to UK and she doesn't get her Aussie passport and in 20 years time decides to apply for one it could be a challenge for her!?

Baby doesn't need a UK passport to enter UK, it can enter on an Aussie passport, children under 15 don't need a visa (unless things have changed in the last year, my daughter has entered UK twice on her Aussie passport. She is eligible for a UK passport as both my HB and I are British citizens. We were going to get her passport when we were back in May but forgot to get her photos signed and then just decided that we would wait to apply for it until we moved back. We felt her Aussie passport was more important to get as we do plan to move back to UK and believe that it is easier to get the passport in the country in which you are living in e.g. If we move back to UK and she doesn't get her Aussie passport and in 20 years time decides to apply for one it could be a challenge for her!?

Any Aussie can generally enter UK without a visa - well, not have one before they board their flight unlike for Aus but they get a 6 month stay stamp in their passport at the airport. However that then records them as overstayers if they stay over the 6 months and not entitled to services until their citizen status is confirmed - better to enter "forever" on a UK passport just in case.

Any Aussie can generally enter UK without a visa - well, not have one before they board their flight unlike for Aus but they get a 6 month stay stamp in their passport at the airport. However that then records them as overstayers if they stay over the 6 months and not entitled to services until their citizen status is confirmed - better to enter "forever" on a UK passport just in case.

I was just pointing out that the baby does not need a UK Passport to enter the country as another poster had stated.

Though interestingly, as you had pointed out you get a 6 month stay stamp....when I had investigated it previously I was looking into only whether my daughter would need a visa to holiday in UK. We plan to move home this year also, once she enters the country, what would I need to do within those 6 months to, I guess, register her as a citizen?

Archived