Family moving, leaving me (a 21yr old) behind

JAC204

Hi,

my my family is moving to Australia in 2016 and leaving me behind back in the UK. I'm currently at university and will finish in 2017 so I clearly can't go with them. (This will be a bit of a rant because I don't have anyone to talk to about it so sorry in advance) I'm really scared and sad, I get very upset about it. What I'm worried about is

a) whether they will be able to come back to the UK for my graduation (they said they will do it) in 2017. Will the government allow it? All I know is we all have permanent residency visas. I don't know anything else really

b) my sister who is 17 now is at college and doing a BTEC diploma thing in health and social care to go and do nursing. She is applying for both UK unis and AUS unis (hopefully) but does anyone know whether her course will be accepted? Probably no one will know but it's worth a shot. Will she be able to get student funding/financial aid etc like we do in the UK?

c) if (god forbid) a family member passes away eg my dad's parents, will the whole family be able to come home for funerals etc.

d) my parents won't allow me to talk about it with any of out extended family or family friends because it caused an argument last time and my friends don't really understand. How can I somehow make them aware I need that support? I think sometimes they think I'm a lot happier about it than I actually am, I lied to make them go. I only want to see them happy.

Oh and how on earth am I meant to say goodbye to my family and get myself back on the plane to the UK? I'm going over in all the uni holidays but it's still really sad. I'm upset about it all the time. Silly really I guess, I should be able to do this all on my own.

sorry for the rant, if I could find someone who has even just had someone who knows their stuff to help me out a bit that would be great, thanks :)

Lots of worries there but mostly, really nothing to worry about.

Australia isn't a jail so as long as they have money in the bank they can come and go as they choose so if they want/need to be in UK with a sound bank balance they can be there in a couple of days.

Your sister wont won't get any support or finance from the government if her qualifications are enough to get her a Uni place. Your parents will have to pay up front by the semester but she will be eligible for domestic rates rather than International rates. It's essential that she finishes her school qualifications before she leaves though.

I know it will be hard for you - probably will be easier once they've gone and you're with your mates at Uni. It'll be hard for them too. If you're struggling once they've gone, your uni should have a counselling service you can access if you aren't allowed to lean on extended family. You can talk to them now if you're finding it hard, it's what they're there for!

Good luck! The lead up is likely to be worse than the eventuality! You're being very wise to finish the course you've started though!

This is tricky. I understand you are upset about this, understandably. However, have you looked into wether you could move over too and complete your degree there? I assume that you also have permanent residency in Aus from your post. This, I believe, would entitle you to education over there (others will know more than I on this though). As you finish in 2017 I'm assuming you are only in your first year? Even if you can't continue from Where you left off, would it be worth starting again over there to be with your family. Just a thought on trying to find a solution. It saddens me though that you feel you are being prevented from venting to your family and friends though.

Will she get support if she is an Australian citizen? You can apply for citizenship after two years, is that right?

I really don't like how they're messing around with her education. Neither does she, she's told me but won't tell our parents.

It only shows that you are a person who cares about people and who loves his/her family. They are certainly blessed to have you and I am sure that they realize that. Most probably, this is why they left without you - they know that you will all be together after couple of years, as you are obviously emotionally connected with them. So many parents wish that their children feel the same at this age!

2 years is not that long of a period and you will be busy studying anyway. Do not over think it. It is so simple...just be patient.

3 months ago we left our daughter in Australia, as we had to come back after validating our visas. She is 23 and transferred 2 years of studies to Australia, so we can all be together. It happened that we had to come back because of work commitments. Since we came back we talk everyday. She was very nervous in the beginning but she is getting used to it and I can tell that she sounds happy. We all know that it is just a matter of time and we will be together in the end.

This is all that matters.

Jac we moved to Borneo leaving a daughter age 13 newly at boarding school and 2 sons 19 and 21 at uni in UK. They all survived, even though my daughter did mention the word abandoned once! but what she gained in the end from fantastic new experiences out weighed that quite quickly, and she grew up to be a strong independent woman, who has lived and worked in both Mexico and Kenya, and is now here in Australia

I'm sure you are worried, but ours would never have stopped us going. We are now in Oz and 2 of ours have moved here after us and love living here.

Look into doing an exchange for a year at a local university here, there are lots of international students on an exchange at our local one.

honestly although you are upset it's not the end of the world, look at it as an opportunity to live in another country if you move here after uni, or just enjoy visiting here and getting to know where your parents have moved to.

Take care and try to be excited for your parents.

We moved to Oz last year and left my 20 year old daughter at uni in the UK. She was in the third year of a four year course and she decided that she wanted to finish her course. We had to move as our PR visas were expiring (events had stopped us moving earlier). She had fantastic support from my sister and brotherinlaw in the UK. We paid for her to come over last Easter and at Christmas and in the long summer holiday she worked in France. She was lucky enough to get a RRV granted. We FaceTime all the time and we are extremely proud of her. Her course finishes next week and she has a one way ticket to Oz arriving on 28/4. Again her decision to miss her graduation as we would have gone back to the UK if she had decided to stay. As long as you have your visa you have so many options when your course finishes. Good luck but you will be fine. Australia is only a flight away and as your parents are paying for your visits in the holidays you will probably see them as much as you would have if they were in the UK.

To the OP, I'm sure you will be fine. Surely leaving home to go to uni is a sign that you are ready to stand on your own two feet. The time will pass quickly enough and soon if you wish you will be able to join your family here in Oz.

Guest The Pom Queen

I have deleted a number of posts, 99% of them there was nothing wrong with but they referred to an insensitive comment that I removed. Please all remember to consider others before you reply to posts.

Guest The Pom Queen
Jac we moved to Borneo leaving a daughter age 13 newly at boarding school and 2 sons 19 and 21 at uni in UK. They all survived, even though my daughter did mention the word abandoned once! but what she gained in the end from fantastic new experiences out weighed that quite quickly, and she grew up to be a strong independent woman, who has lived and worked in both Mexico and Kenya, and is now here in Australia

I'm sure you are worried, but ours would never have stopped us going. We are now in Oz and 2 of ours have moved here after us and love living here.

Look into doing an exchange for a year at a local university here, there are lots of international students on an exchange at our local one.

honestly although you are upset it's not the end of the world, look at it as an opportunity to live in another country if you move here after uni, or just enjoy visiting here and getting to know where your parents have moved to.

Take care and try to be excited for your parents.

I also will be putting my son in boarding school at the end of the month, it is something I'm absolutely dreading but I have another op coming up and I can't keep taking him out of school, he has missed around 6 months of school in the last 2 years and this year will probably be worse so we have decided that we have to move home to be closer to the hospital. Unfortunately we can't move until we have sold this house so I can't get him in a new school before the end of the month but thankfully the school he has now does boarding. Even though it's only a temp measure and we will be in the next town (although 4 hours away) it is upsetting me more than anything. I just keep reminding myself it's a way of life for a lot of children especially the ones who live rural and not in the big cities.

I also will be putting my son in boarding school at the end of the month, it is something I'm absolutely dreading but I have another op coming up and I can't keep taking him out of school, he has missed around 6 months of school in the last 2 years and this year will probably be worse so we have decided that we have to move home to be closer to the hospital. Unfortunately we can't move until we have sold this house so I can't get him in a new school before the end of the month but thankfully the school he has now does boarding. Even though it's only a temp measure and we will be in the next town (although 4 hours away) it is upsetting me more than anything. I just keep reminding myself it's a way of life for a lot of children especially the ones who live rural and not in the big cities.
Take care, wish we could help you more than just sending love and support.You never know he might love it, hope so xM

Will she get support if she is an Australian citizen? You can apply for citizenship after two years, is that right?

I really don't like how they're messing around with her education. Neither does she, she's told me but won't tell our parents.

No, 4 years for citizenship. But as a permanent resident she will have to pay lower fees than if she was an international student. She really needs to finish her BTEC though as she will be at a tricky stage for transferring and won't have the qualifications to get into Uni. If she's 18/19 she could stay too couldn't she?

Take care, wish we could help you more than just sending love and support.You never know he might love it, hope so xM

both our boys boarded, one of them loved it, the other appeared to hate it.

recently the subject came up, and our lad who hated it said they were some of the best years of his life.

i guess he was then, and still is a bit of a me me me drama queen!

suffice to say, it will likely be a lot harder on the parents, than the child.

the friends and bonds they make, will fix them up for life.

also the psychological molding is so much easier when they are there all week, be sure to choose a school that works with your values.

Hi,

my my family is moving to Australia in 2016 and leaving me behind back in the UK. I'm currently at university and will finish in 2017 so I clearly can't go with them. (This will be a bit of a rant because I don't have anyone to talk to about it so sorry in advance) I'm really scared and sad, I get very upset about it. What I'm worried about is

a) whether they will be able to come back to the UK for my graduation (they said they will do it) in 2017. Will the government allow it? All I know is we all have permanent residency visas. I don't know anything else really

b) my sister who is 17 now is at college and doing a BTEC diploma thing in health and social care to go and do nursing. She is applying for both UK unis and AUS unis (hopefully) but does anyone know whether her course will be accepted? Probably no one will know but it's worth a shot. Will she be able to get student funding/financial aid etc like we do in the UK?

c) if (god forbid) a family member passes away eg my dad's parents, will the whole family be able to come home for funerals etc.

d) my parents won't allow me to talk about it with any of out extended family or family friends because it caused an argument last time and my friends don't really understand. How can I somehow make them aware I need that support? I think sometimes they think I'm a lot happier about it than I actually am, I lied to make them go. I only want to see them happy.

Oh and how on earth am I meant to say goodbye to my family and get myself back on the plane to the UK? I'm going over in all the uni holidays but it's still really sad. I'm upset about it all the time. Silly really I guess, I should be able to do this all on my own.

sorry for the rant, if I could find someone who has even just had someone who knows their stuff to help me out a bit that would be great, thanks :)

I just want to check that you did get a visa didn't you? You can still finish your course in the UK, but it means you could join them afterwards if you so wish.

Regarding your questions, your family are not prisoners and will be able to come and go as the please.

ETA: sorry just reread and you do have a visa, good. In this case though, it is just like any other young person going off to university and leaving home for the first time. Terms are only 10 to 12 weeks I think and will fly by and you can see the family during holidays.

Archived