How have you found the Aussies?

• Replies 350
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Don't really interact that much with tradies from either country so can't really speak for them. However office workers seem to be a very similar breed here as they are in the UK.

I like the sound of the class distinction thing

Hope you don't mind having the p*** taken out of your accent Stacey, I get it incessantly. If we are ordering coffee or something some of the Aussie friends go "he said he want s a flat white" or whatever I've ordered. Never fails to amuse them.:wink:

Strange thing is when I went back to the UK and saw some of my old friends in Derbyshire they were doing the same because of my Aussie accent. At least the sense of humour is about the same, take the p*** every chance you get.:wink:

They lack the alleged gift of the gab as well. Notice it with tradies often. Agree usually more travelled just a bit short on words.

I think that's more of a generational thing flag. People are more interested in what's going off on their mobile phone than they are in having a chat these days. The art of conversation is a dying thing mate. People text each other rather than ring, never been able to understand that. Even my missus told me to text someone last week when I went to ring them to sort something out. Never thoght I would see the day.

Took me about 30 seconds of chat to sort out a few things, rather than 20 texts between each other and confusion.:rolleyes:

You are sounding very racist Flag.

It is all rubbish of course, Ridiculous to generalise the way you are.

You need to consult a dictionary to find out what racist means. Hence you won't sound sorry to say so ignorant.

Not rubbish at all. There are indeed national characteristics that are apt for every country. Doesn't mean all are like that. Collective culture, social living and education all contribute to forming a national culture. Those that get out and about will should have an idea what is being referred to.

I think that's more of a generational thing flag. People are more interested in what's going off on their mobile phone than they are in having a chat these days. The art of conversation is a dying thing mate. People text each other rather than ring, never been able to understand that. Even my missus told me to text someone last week when I went to ring them to sort something out. Never thoght I would see the day.

Took me about 30 seconds of chat to sort out a few things, rather than 20 texts between each other and confusion.:rolleyes:

I agree the texting culture is becoming the world culture sadly. The good thing about that is difference is increasingly nullified, not that I think all becoming the same is an overall improvement. Our differences is what made the world unique.

I tried very hard during our early years here to make friends and establish a social life, but came to the realisation that it wasn't going to be possible. I always found myself on the outside of the conversation, not knowing what people were referring to and needing to ask, or go away and Google it!. After a while though I realised that I just wasn't interested in what my work colleagues or my partner's friends were referring to. Whether it was Australian politics, culture, sports, current affairs etc, I just wasn't interested. That's not due to some sense of cultural supremacy, but simply down to the fact that this country holds no interest for me. I've got my own culture (right or wrong) and so I don't need anybody else's thanks.

Nowadays I don't get invites to things and I couldn't be happier.! There's nothing worse than feeling like a fraud, and Australians can smell them a mile away. I keep myself to myself and live my life in what a former poster referred to as a "pommy bubble" and I've never been happier here. :smile:

I tried very hard during our early years here to make friends and establish a social life, but came to the realisation that it wasn't going to be possible. I always found myself on the outside of the conversation, not knowing what people were referring to and needing to ask, or go away and Google it!. After a while though I realised that I just wasn't interested in what my work colleagues or my partner's friends were referring to. Whether it was Australian politics, culture, sports, current affairs etc, I just wasn't interested. That's not due to some sense of cultural supremacy, but simply down to the fact that this country holds no interest for me. I've got my own culture (right or wrong) and so I don't need anybody else's thanks.

Nowadays I don't get invites to things and I couldn't be happier.! There's nothing worse than feeling like a fraud, and Australians can smell them a mile away. I keep myself to myself and live my life in what a former poster referred to as a "pommy bubble" and I've never been happier here. :smile:

one of the few things I am concerned about is not having a shared "cultural identity". ie, in the UK, people of a certain age or generation, can chat about TV shows from days gone by, retro sweets, Spitting Image, that thing from 1988 etc... as soon as I set foot in Australia, I'm going to have pretty much no shared knowledge apart from very major world events.

I don't consider it to be a problem but I think it will definitely be a stumbling block at various points... You might have to budge up and let me into your pommy bubble :rolleyes:

In general I think they probably are a little less formal, certainly far less class-oriented (which I think is a good thing), quite savvy, and will definitely give you a fair go if you merit it.

I agree with this, and can only speak of my experience with fondness after a year living in South Australia. So many times I have thought there must be something in the water as I don't think I have (personal opinion of course) met a happier bunch in my years of travelling. Of course everyone's experiences will be unique and i would say that what you experience will have a lot to do with your perceptions , values and general outlook on life. Aussie's are different , but I have never felt more welcome. They say it like it is and can seem pretty tough at times, but the majority are so laid back and from those I have met really seem to enjoy life and being easy going .

Again in my experience only, my young son and I have been welcomed into the community and people seemed to appreciate a positive outlook . Culturally there are differences but of course that will be the case, it's how you integrate ourself in those differences. It's comforting to meet so many English but I found my favourite friends in the Aussies :-) I love how on the country roads most people give you a wave and when you walk on the beach nearly everyone says hello and wants to chat.. Certainly don't get that where I live in the UK sadly anymore.

People who are unhappy in a country, and it does not matter which country, will always perceive things differently. My nephew is living in England now, and his Mum says that he is homesick. Yes, Aussies do suffer from homesickness when they go overseas, even in England!

I don't notice differences between 'Aussies' and 'Pommies'. I'm surprised that people on here can get away unchallenged talking about the two as if that is all there is in Australia anyway, i.e. (mostly) white people who both speak English, but with different accents. So far, today, the only people I've mixed with, in the cafe outside my door, are all Asian Aussies. The other day I went to see my optometrist, who is a Greek Aussie. The guy in the chemist who filled my scrip is a Thai Aussie. Last night in the pub, I was mixing with all sorts, Poms/Irish/Aussies. I feel sorry for the people who have not settled here, the ones who go on about missing the English sense of humour and the English pubs, and the English 'everything.' I feel sorry for them, but I'll never be able to empathise with them

Too true MaryR. What is an Australian anyway? In my group of Sydney friends it was like the league of nations :wink: Chinese, Sri Lankan, Lebanese, Greek ,Russian with a couple of 3 or 4th generation Australians from the UK. What good times we used to have when we got together. Hopefully a few of them will come and visit soon. One has been already and we had a lovely old time catching up.

I don't get it either.

I don't know what an 'Aussie' is either. Is it someone anglo-looking who was born here? Or someone of any colour who was born here? Or anyone with an Australian passport?

I don't regard myself as an 'Aussie' or a 'Brit'. I'm just someone who lives here - just like all the other people who live here. I think that once you've lived here for a while you lose the fixation with where people are from. Everyone non-aboriginal came from somewhere else. Whether it was from the UK 10 generations ago or Hong Kong last week, what on earth does it matter?

I don't get it either.

I don't know what an 'Aussie' is either. Is it someone anglo-looking who was born here? Or someone of any colour who was born here? Or anyone with an Australian passport?

I don't regard myself as an 'Aussie' or a 'Brit'. I'm just someone who lives here - just like all the other people who live here. I think that once you've lived here for a while you lose the fixation with where people are from. Everyone non-aboriginal came from somewhere else. Whether it was from the UK 10 generations ago or Hong Kong last week, what on earth does it matter?

Gosh I never even thought of that.... My answer simply based on my experience of I guess the people I met that were Australian born, regardless of colour/ heritage.. And the Aussies themselves call themselves that and us poms so I don't think it should be taken too seriously. When I first moved there I too wondered this question but it was soon answered by how friendly and multicultural the place is and that's why I love it!

Too true MaryR. What is an Australian anyway? In my group of Sydney friends it was like the league of nations :wink: Chinese, Sri Lankan, Lebanese, Greek ,Russian with a couple of 3 or 4th generation Australians from the UK. What good times we used to have when we got together. Hopefully a few of them will come and visit soon. One has been already and we had a lovely old time catching up.

It depends on who is being asked and who is doing the asking. A French person with an Aussie passport may address themselves as being an Aussie but be met with subdued laughter by some on the mere mention. As such they main redefine themselves as French with Aussie citizenship. Still those out there that don't regard a Muslim, with an Arabic name, but born in Australia, and can speak Arabic as an Aussie. Same can go for Chinese and others. The waters are indeed murky but I would say racial type becoming less important, accent still plays a large part.

I don't get it either.

For me the stumbling block here is always feeling that I don't have anything in common with the people around me, whether they be Indigenous Australians or those who've descended from European or Asian immigrants etc. I'd argue that the common thing that all of those groups of Australians share is that they love this country, are interested in it, and are invested in it. I don't share that, so I remain an outsider even amongst my fellow Brits who love the place. My partner and our daughter love Australia, and as a family we have a nice life here, but mine is lived in isolation and I prefer it that way. In my experience, trying to fake enthusiasm for a place that you're just not into is too much hard work and it leaves you feeling like a fraud. I feel it's more respectful to be honest and keep my distance, than to live a lie.

How long have you been here Endless? I suppose I settled and felt at home here because I left Scotland to work in England when I was 16. After 3 years there I lived and worked in other countries. I never felt entirely comfortable in France probably because of the language difference. I have felt comfortable and happy here most of the time. Of course there have been days when I would have loved to have been back with my family. I have to say though I respect you for being upfront with your feelings. There's just about nothing worse than somebody acting out fake enthusiasm :wink:

How long have you been here Endless? I suppose I settled and felt at home here because I left Scotland to work in England when I was 16. After 3 years there I lived and worked in other countries. I never felt entirely comfortable in France probably because of the language difference. I have felt comfortable and happy here most of the time. Of course there have been days when I would have loved to have been back with my family. I have to say though I respect you for being upfront with your feelings. There's just about nothing worse than somebody acting out fake enthusiasm :wink:

I've been here nearly seven years now. I hated it for the first 3-4 years but I've now learned to live with it, and I'm the happiest here now that I've ever been. Nowadays I feel that I have a much more honest relationship with the place and with the people who love it. Despite what a few PIO members might imagine, I'm always very polite about the place to others whilst making it clear that it doesn't float my boat. Most people seem to respect that, although there's sometimes the odd person who gets affronted by it, but I can't help that. :smile:

Hi people, this is one of my first post and I thought I would give my opinion. I have been in Melbourne now for nearly 3 months and have found it to be a lot more racist then I thought it would be. My wife is From Asia and my children are of course mixed race or better still a person. We have had a comment nearly every week from some one in passing. My children have been called half caste, at work and when I explain that it's a racial term because "caste" means pure, so if someone calls a person of mixed race "half-caste" they are calling them unpure! I just get the blank look and then the so this is Australia line. I have also found getting work hard, Its seems to be not what you know but who you know. Other than a lot of very small minded people the country is beautiful, clean, good produce (food) and some really helpful people. But i don't think I'll be staying unless things change with the people and the work front. Now before anyone starts with the "their not all like that" I know but this is my experience and I can't change it, I wish I could as I was so looking forward to coming and was the driving force behind the move and now feel guilty.

Hi people, this is one of my first post and I thought I would give my opinion. I have been in Melbourne now for nearly 3 months and have found it to be a lot more racist then I thought it would be. My wife is From Asia and my children are of course mixed race or better still a person. We have had a comment nearly every week from some one in passing. My children have been called half caste, at work and when I explain that it's a racial term because "caste" means pure, so if someone calls a person of mixed race "half-caste" they are calling them unpure! I just get the blank look and then the so this is Australia line. I have also found getting work hard, Its seems to be not what you know but who you know. Other than a lot of very small minded people the country is beautiful, clean, good produce (food) and some really helpful people. But i don't think I'll be staying unless things change with the people and the work front. Now before anyone starts with the "their not all like that" I know but this is my experience and I can't change it, I wish I could as I was so looking forward to coming and was the driving force behind the move and now feel guilty.

Sorry to hear that mrgray. That must be awful for you as a family, particularly if it's aimed at your children. The kinds of people who makes those comments are really ignorant and I bet they'd be the first to complain if they were ever exposed to similar prejudice. Hope things improve for you as a family.

I'm really sorry to read that sort of behaviour still goes on in Australia. Melbourne of all places, I am a little surprised. I've a Devon acquaintance living here in Perth in a mixed marriage with a son, now fifteen, and though not more than luke warm on Australia and people here, I recall telling me about four years ago, that he felt it easier here than returning to Devon with a mixed race child, at least to the village he came from.

I certainly recall the days when anyone of another skin colour was prone to experience abuse at least verbal but felt that had largely subsided since the new century. I wonder if you feel the abuse is generally widespread or more localised to a specific area. Some country locations I could easily expect such comments from elements of the population.

To state it not a once of occurrence is somewhat troubling as well. I can only hope things improve. With regards other observations, I actually feel the food quality has declined.

Just a foot note.I do wonder at the type of work place you find yourself in. I haven't heard the word half caste in decades. Australia has one of the highest numbers of mixed marriages of all countries these days.

I have read and heard Aussies can be very rude... How have you found them? Welcoming to 'Poms'? Arrogant etc? Is it just because us Brits are too nice :wink: so we interpret it the wrong way? What areas were bad/nice to be welcomed to? Or was it just a general dislike to any foreigner entering the Country?

I think a lot depends where you come from in the UK. Australians have no patience with the Hyacinth Bouquets of this world - if something needs saying, they'll say it. Some people see that as rudeness, others see it as bluntness and honesty.

I've told this story before - when I arrived in Australia (on Qantas), the usual announcement came over the speaker about staying in your seats until the plane had come to a complete stop (in those days, it was especially important because they came through the cabin with fly spray before you got up). Anyway, one businessman stood up while the plane was still moving and reached for the overhead locker.

One of the hostesses bellowed down the plane, "Sit down you idiot, we're not there yet!!" Ah, I thought, I'm in Australia.

Hi people, this is one of my first post and I thought I would give my opinion. I have been in Melbourne now for nearly 3 months and have found it to be a lot more racist then I thought it would be.

I'm sorry to hear that Melbourne is like that. I used to have an African American working for me, and he had moved to Australia because the lack of racism was so refreshing compared to his native Chicago.

Archived