Feel like I'm missing out...living in adelaide

Homeplease

Hey everyone

feeling jealous of my friends and family who love in uk. I have duel citizenship but can't move back to uk as I have split from my partner in Australia.

i'm struggling to find a purpose in oz, living in adelaide, just feel no-one really has a life here (I realise this isn't true it's just cos of how I'm feeling) but I'm so so bored, I have good friends, work etc but I'm over beaches, parks etc... I want cities, national trust, castles , museums..... The museums in Adelaide I can count on one hand... I used to love oz, I still do but there now seems to be nothing to 'do' .... I'm stuck here unfortunately (and stuck in Adelaide)

does re anyone know secret interesting places to explore in adelaide!!

i'm struggling to find a purpose in oz, living in adelaide, just feel no-one really has a life here (I realise this isn't true it's just cos of how I'm feeling) but I'm so so bored, I have good friends, work etc but I'm over beaches, parks etc... I want cities, national trust, castles , museums..... The museums in Adelaide I can count on one hand... I used to love oz, I still do but there now seems to be nothing to 'do' .... I'm stuck here unfortunately (and stuck in Adelaide)

I sympathise because this is one reason we're moving to the UK (for a few years at least). You'll get people jumping in telling you not to be so picky and enjoy what's there, but the fact is that we all like different things and you can't force yourself to enjoy beaches if that's not your thing.

Having said that, I'm sure the fallout from the split has a lot to do with your feelings. You're bound to be feeling stressed about that and it's highlighting all the other things you're unhappy with. And it's probably true you don't have as much to do - you probably did things with your partner that filled up your day before, and now you're at a loose end.

Unfortunately no one can magic some extra museums for you, but perhaps you could find some other cultural activities instead? Perhaps look into book reading clubs, art courses - get down to your local library and look at what's pinned up on the wall. Here in Sydney the uni runs regular evening classes and day workshops on European art, virtual tours of big cities etc.

I could probably suggest a lot of things you could do in and around Adelaide - both with and without your child - but get the feeling that none of it would sound attractive to you at the moment with the way you are feeling. Adelaide has some great museums - if you like that sort of thing have you checked them all out? The Tandanya Museum? The Migration Museum? The Maritime Museum? Have you been on a tour of the old jail? There are loads of organised walks you can go on - from ghost walks to photography walks to chocolate walks. Have you been on a tour of Ayers House and the hidden tunnels? Taken a wine course at the Wine Centre? Been on one of the guided walks of the Botanic Gardens or the Zoo? Been to Cleland and Gorge Wildlife Park and Greenhills and The Mount Lofty Botanic Gardens?

Thanks for the suggestions.... I haven't done a couple of those do it's definitely added to my list ...but I'm a big explorer so have done all but two of them... I've been here six years and just feel I'm over the honeymoon period.... I used to go to the beach every weekend for the full day.... This summer i barely went down ...I have a new partner now so have a partner in crime to explore Adelaide with .... I just feel bored.... I took my Australian partner to the uk in February and showed him where I grew up and ever since then I feel like I'm missing out.... I'm doing a masters at uni SA so struggle for time to join clubs etc with working,studying and child....

I used to love oz and know I just need to get out of this rut and rediscover that love.... Or count down the years til I can move back lol

I reckon you need a few road trips and/or weekends out of Adelaide.

Head North along the Stuart Highway via Cooper Pedy, Ulura and Alice Springs. I did a campervan relocation (so only had to pay for fuel) and it was fantastic.

Great Ocean Road to Melbourne is another great road trip worth doing.

Alternatively Melbourne/Sydney are only a (relatively) short flight away for a big city fix.

A mate of ours who used to live in Melbourne and misses it sometimes flies out from ADL just for the day as he and his other half miss the coffee and shopping :wacko: A bit extreme but sometimes you forget how easy it is to get over there.

Just off the top of my head I would say move to Melbourne or Sydney but I guess there would be problems there too given you have a child together. Adelaide is lovely but it is small and I can sympathize with you. Maybe join a new group if you have the time? New faces etc, get away from the same old, same old?

Thanks for the suggestions.... I haven't done a couple of those do it's definitely added to my list ...but I'm a big explorer so have done all but two of them... I've been here six years and just feel I'm over the honeymoon period.... I used to go to the beach every weekend for the full day.... This summer i barely went down ...I have a new partner now so have a partner in crime to explore Adelaide with .... I just feel bored.... I took my Australian partner to the uk in February and showed him where I grew up and ever since then I feel like I'm missing out.... I'm doing a masters at uni SA so struggle for time to join clubs etc with working,studying and child....

I used to love oz and know I just need to get out of this rut and rediscover that love.... Or count down the years til I can move back lol

I'm smiling to myself because your post reminded me when i was going out with my OH and he showed me the place he went for holidays when younger ... my reaction was "is this it", often its our memories that have enriched the experience.

I'm feeling like I'm missing out too on my uk friends ...they out all time , could of just gon on a cruise a few month back with one of me besties lol ...they out having cocktails going spa days ...staying in log cabins for weekend ...fri fun and frolics down the pub lol ...staying in hotels for weekends I'm so sick of em posting shite on fb I've had to ask them stop lmao ...love me buddies to bits in uk though I'm only messing with them and they know it ...I am gutted so I can relate xx

they understand me wanting hang on for citizen though and see if it pans out nicely ...but if it doesn't pan out nicely oh well ...I can get back to me fun and frolics lol :)! I would like it to pan out nicely here though or it's all been for nothing :)!

All those things you miss from the UK are just 'things'. It does not matter if a building is 500 years old, or 100, or 10, it still can't 'talk' to you. If you go back to England, there is no guarantee you will feel any better. In any case, you say you can't go back to England because of your child? That means that there is not much point in moving to Melbourne or Sydney, because you will still be a long distance away from your child.

You say you have a good job and plenty of friends, but you are bored? What about doing some voluntary work? (Something I have been meaning to do for some time.) I am doing an Open University degree which I started last month and I can recommend that. You can immerse yourself in all the history you want, and you won't have time to be bored either.

Some people are unhappy in Australia because they don't like Australia, but others are unhappy wherever they live. Perhaps it might be worth speaking to your GP.

All those things you miss from the UK are just 'things'. It does not matter if a building is 500 years old, or 100, or 10, it still can't 'talk' to you. If you go back to England, there is no guarantee you will feel any better. In any case, you say you can't go back to England because of your child? That means that there is not much point in moving to Melbourne or Sydney, because you will still be a long distance away from your child.

You say you have a good job and plenty of friends, but you are bored? What about doing some voluntary work? (Something I have been meaning to do for some time.) I am doing an Open University degree which I started last month and I can recommend that. You can immerse yourself in all the history you want, and you won't have time to be bored either.

Some people are unhappy in Australia because they don't like Australia, but others are unhappy wherever they live. Perhaps it might be worth speaking to your GP.

Doubt people are unhappy just because they dont like it here in oz

I say you go back to the UK anyway. Life is too short to spend all your time unhappy.

She he carnt go back because of her child :)

if you meant me well , I may well do , but my middle son won't come he says and he's nearly 22 lol ...so either way I look at it I'll av a kid there and kid here . But I still would go back if push come to shove ...I will see what the future brings .im not unhappy ...sad but not unhappy . I'm not depressed niether , I'm just had the life sucked out of me a bit I think :) but I'm not depressed I can get down one day and snap out of it the next lol :) and I do like auss I just need lay some roots if I'm ever going settle we will see :)

my my middle son is staying in brissie with his girlfriend aswell ...so I'm a bit peed off about that too . Doesn't matter which way I look at it I've stuffed up my family. Shud of thought about things more .

Once the tourist thing has worn off though, wherever you live it's pretty much the same stuff you have to do day after day. Don't know whereabouts in Adelaide you are, but might be worth joining the pomsinadelaide forum that's a sister/child to this one (http://www.pomsinadelaide.com/forum) and perhaps seeing if anyone wants to meet up? There's also a linked FB group to the forum. Search for Poms in Adelaide - Official Group. It's worth singing up to Weekend Notes for Adelaide for new ideas of stuff to do, and there is also a Play & Go Adelaide site I think which is more for stuff you can do with your children.

I belong to a social media group of women on the North East side of Adelaide, and we do occasional trips out together (we've got a winery trip to the Barossa we're doing in May), or there are a small group from there who go walking and then to a pub after, someone has recently started up a book club which is a bit of fun, and sometimes someone will organise a pub night out or post if they fancy seeing a particular film etc. Sometimes it's just a matter of finding different people to do everyday things with.

The WEA run some fun evening classes - I did conversational Mandarin for ten weeks through them and they do various hobby classes as well. I am also thinking about doing a wine course so that I can appreciate the great wine regions we have here in South Australia - this is what I am thinking of doing for that http://www.winesa.asn.au/wine-courses/2015-04-30/es-wine-essentials/

When you are living in a place, it's not really about the touristy aspects of it.

Archived