Help on choosing an area please

hollieb

Me and my family are looking to move to Australia but are struggling to find the area we want. We would like a to live in a large town that has lots of things for teenagers to do, as well as near the beach. We would ideally like a climate that ranges from around 16-30C that doesn't experience any flooding or weather extremes. We also like areas that have a bit more of a dramatic landscape rather than being completely flat.

If you have any ideas of areas that we might like please do suggest them, it would be very much appreciated.

Thank you!

there are lots of people here who can help, but you will need to be more specific. Have you been to Australia before, where did you visit? Any particular states or cities in mind?

[fun fact of the day: Australia is more than 30 times larger than the UK!].

I think your ability to find work will be your deciding factor. No point living in a nice place if you cant get a job. Anywhere in Australia can get extreme weather, be it drought flood, bush fires or storms and its just something you have to take into account and prepare for. These things dont happen very often but thats how australia is.

Me and my family are looking to move to Australia but are struggling to find the area we want. We would like a to live in a large town that has lots of things for teenagers to do, as well as near the beach. We would ideally like a climate that ranges from around 16-30C that doesn't experience any flooding or weather extremes. We also like areas that have a bit more of a dramatic landscape rather than being completely flat.

If you have any ideas of areas that we might like please do suggest them, it would be very much appreciated.

Thank you!

I'd say your first job would be to see where the jobs are. Queensland is out if you don't want weather extremes. Newcastle comes to mind straight away - a large city rather than town. There are several large towns but work could be an issue.

Lotsa places like that, but how about your work preferences?? After hours hobbies??

Cheers, Bobj.

would need to be near a hospital with a paediatrics ward work wise. We would like to be somewhere where there are likely to be other families and activities such as drama or dance groups for teenagers, as well as access to shops and places to eat out. We like being outdoors/walking/going to the beach and would be interested in trying new outdoor activities such as climbing or kayaking.

Thank you!

there are lots of people here who can help, but you will need to be more specific. Have you been to Australia before, where did you visit? Any particular states or cities in mind?

[fun fact of the day: Australia is more than 30 times larger than the UK!].

No have never been to Australia and are struggling to narrow it down because of how huge it is! We have been looking in New South Wales, Victoria and Queensland but don't want to live in the main cities

Thank you!

The problem you will find is that work can be hard to come by outside of the big cities. Much higher unemployment rates in Queensland outside of Brisbane for example

would need to be near a hospital with a paediatrics ward work wise. We would like to be somewhere where there are likely to be other families and activities such as drama or dance groups for teenagers, as well as access to shops and places to eat out. We like being outdoors/walking/going to the beach and would be interested in trying new outdoor activities such as climbing or kayaking.

Thank you!

Mackay, central coastal Qld. has a brand new $400 million hospital. It has about 130,000 inhabitants in the area. Plenty of magnificent scenery, plenty of excellent shops etc. Have lived in the region for 16 years and love it, albeit I live about 50 km NW of the city.

Cheers, Bobj.

I would say Townsville may be on the hot side. Never actually been though, time I ticked it off. Seems to get mixed reviews with my Brisbanite friends

Thank you!

Albany western Australia

No have never been to Australia and are struggling to narrow it down because of how huge it is! We have been looking in New South Wales, Victoria and Queensland but don't want to live in the main cities

Thank you!

The 'main cities' are where most of the work is, unless you have a particular skill that is needed outside of the cities. Then again, in the UK, you can live in a small village or town, and still be within easy 'striking' distance of a big city, if you need city services, like a major hospital. In Australia,that is not always so easy, if you choose to live outside the major cities, and you might find life in a country town rather more 'remote' than in that English village. You might have to drive long distances for things like medical treatment, cinemas, theatres. You might be able to find a nice home outside of a big city, but still have to commute to work there, so, eg. living on The Central Coast might mean two hours commuting each way to Sydney.

It is very hard to think of anywhere that fits the original criteria. Most places in Australia are going to be regularly over 30degrees and if they are not then it is still hard to avoid extreme weather. Australia has an extreme climate, exception maybe Tasmania?

I think it is a good point somebody made about the structure of Australia, it is not like UK where you can easily live outside a city but have easy access to the facilities when you want them. If you are well away from the main cities then there will be less facilities and Australia can become a little parochial and could be quite a culture shock for a Brit.

That said, like a few others, the place I managed to come up with to fit some of the bill, was Newcastle.

Thank you everyone for your advice, really useful to get lots of different opinions and interesting to see that a lot of people are suggesting the same things. Sounds like we may benefit from being in a city in terms of work and having access to things so will reconsider this.

Thanks for all your help!

I'm no expert, having not actually lived there yet - but it seems it's possible to live in a city in Australia, but it doesn't always feel massively urban., These suburbs are spread and out and sprawling - so out of the main cities (all the state capitals) you could be an hour or more out of the 'hustle'. Some of these areas have people living there who rarely go into the CBD. 80% of the population live in these cities - so maybe look at those too just to give yourself more options.

If you search through the various state sections, (NSW, Victoria, SA, WA etc) you should pick up a few ideas. Cross reference the names you see on Google maps.

Important questoni - if you've never been to Australia and don't know anything about what life is like in any of the States, why do you want to move here? If it 's the dream of "a better life", then that's no longer possible in many areas - Australia used to be a place where jobs were easy to get, houses were cheap and salaries were high, but that's not the case any more. The reality is that you're likely to be no better off financially (and if you come to Sydney, worse off). If you are a family it could easily cost you around $50,000 to get here (visa fees, air fares, shipping, temp accommodation, a few months out of work, replacing all the stuff you gave away, buying a car, etc, etc). If you don't like it, it will cost you the same again to go back home.

I'm not saying you shouldn't do it. After all I'm here and I like many things about Australia. As a childless couple, it wasn't expensive for me and my oh to come out here and treat it as an adventure - and I'm still here 30 years later, so there must be something right about it! However it's not all milk and honey: while clear blue skies are gorgeous, I can't stand the long, sticky, humid summer. When my parents died, I didn't make it home in time to see either of them (nearly made it for Mum - plane broke down in Singapore, later flights full), and I've slowly lost contact with all my UK friends in spite of all our confident promises to "never lose touch". Plus in 30 years I've never managed to make the same kind of friendships here.

I'm no expert, having not actually lived there yet - but it seems it's possible to live in a city in Australia, but it doesn't always feel massively urban., .

That's true, but don't think it's like an English village either (Oatley being one of those rare exceptions!). Many of those outer suburbs are virtually dormitories: they'll have a token cluster of shops, (many of which have closed down because everyone drives to the nearest Westfields for their weekly shop), no pub, no cafes and no restaurants (apart from a kebab shop and a Domino's Pizza). It's on of the reasons we're leaving Sydney: I can't afford to live in one of the lively suburbs and I wouldn't live in one of the cheaper, soulless kind if you paid me!

Archived