I dislike living in Sydney...

mehman

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Sad the original poster has dissed Sydney, I haven't lived there, but visit regularly as my daughter lives there, she is well travelled, lived on her own in London, Mexico and Kenya, knows Asisa well as moved around with us, but manages to have a great time there.

not sure how long the original poster has been in Sydney? perhaps there is more going on than initially realised? but best move on sooner than later if so disappointed.

The OP is living in Willoughby on the oh-so-conservative and genteel North Shore . . .

Thanks! So I'm not some idiot who feels this way, there are others. This only resolves it for me, that this is not my place after all...

You are absolutely not alone..... Those of us feeling the same just tend to stay away from this forum because as soon you say something that could potentially be "Anti-Australian" the thought police come running and give you a mental diagnosis because You Are the Problem, Not Australia! Everything is fabulous here..... I see that you have already met some of them.... Enjoy! They do make me laugh a couple of times as week...

You are absolutely not alone..... Those of us feeling the same just tend to stay away from this forum because as soon you say something that could potentially be "Anti-Australian" the thought police come running and give you a mental diagnosis because You Are the Problem, Not Australia! Everything is fabulous here..... I see that you have already met some of them.... Enjoy! They do make me laugh a couple of times as week...

Hahaha, you're onto something there. I was considering deleting my post as the quick fix solutions I was being given were intellectually lazy in my opinion. Anyway, I don't want a flame war, I was feeling down and out and just vented. Won't happen again on here! Some dude is judging me for renting in Willoughby, I don't even know what to say. Maybe I should say Lakemba and let the stereotypes play out.

Hahaha, you're onto something there. I was considering deleting my post as the quick fix solutions I was being given were intellectually lazy in my opinion. Anyway, I don't want a flame war, I was feeling down and out and just vented. Won't happen again on here! Some dude is judging me for renting in Willoughby, I don't even know what to say. Maybe I should say Lakemba and let the stereotypes play out.

I had to look where Willoughby was. It looks just far enough out to not be really close enough to enjoy Sydney, not close enough to anything else of interest to make you want to stay. Being in the wrong suburb in the best City in the world can make a world of difference. Where have you been and where would you like to be?

(I'm not saying Sydney is the best BTW, I've not experienced that many, but it has a bit of everything to me)

Isn't it interesting how different posters interpret posts and the replies.

i've just re-read all the posts, have predominately read posters trying to help and suggest areas that might suit better.

my daughter is in Paddington, that's another place the poster might consider.

When I posted there might be more going etc. just to clarify I didn't mean emotionally, so was not giving a mental diagnosis, (just in case you meant me) I meant hopefully the poster might find that there is a diversity of venues, activities etc so might find something to enjoy.

Any where new you move to can be tough, having moved more than 20 times and to some pretty Alien places in my time, I sympathise with feeling unsettled, but you have to either start to accept a new country or make plans to move.

It's a bit rude to call posters thought police, when most responders appeared to try and help.

in my case I only mentioned that my daughter is also well travelled and has settled here, as the implication was that because the poster had lived in other countries how far Sydney falls short to well travelled people.

It's not a crime to be unhappy/dislike a place, but sometimes years after leaving a place, you can end up remembering the good times as well as the bad.

My sons are in Sydney. One in Annandale and one in Newtown - they enjoy the atmosphere of these places. For me, nice to visit but wouldn't want to live there - young folks' places :cool:

Sounds like I'm past my Surry Hills use-by-date, and I should be moving to Tassie!? (It's about time I went there, too!)

There is objective and subjective criticism about, in this case, Sydney.

Is Sydney traffic awful? Yes (Objective.)

Is it expensive to rent a home on a beach? Yes (Objective.)

Does it take a long time to travel anywhere in Sydney? Yes (Objective.)

Is Sydney a worse city to live in than London, New York, LA, Hong Kong? Yes or No (Subjective.)

Are Sydney pubs worse than in London? Yes or No (Subjective)

Is Sydney boring? Yes or No (Subjective.)

I've got no argument with the first three of those questions, because everybody knows it's true. You can read about it enough in the news. But the second three are just indvidual opinions.

There is nothing wrong with living in Lakemba. It's got great food, especially if you have a taste for Middle Eastern cuisine, it's (relatively) cheap, and everything is open seven days a week. You can buy alcohol too, although someone told me that the only pub is closed now. I don't know if that is true. If I was to move out that way, I would prefer Bankstown because it has better public services and transport. But then again, I've got plenty of Middle Eastern cuisine here in Surry Hills, two mosques too. Do you like Willoughby?

I had to look where Willoughby was. It looks just far enough out to not be really close enough to enjoy Sydney, not close enough to anything else of interest to make you want to stay. Being in the wrong suburb in the best City in the world can make a world of difference. Where have you been and where would you like to be?

(I'm not saying Sydney is the best BTW, I've not experienced that many, but it has a bit of everything to me)

Are you coming over to 'Gotham' for the Sydney v Spurs game? There are plenty of people from all over OZ, including Perth, coming. Check out the Ozspurs Facebook page. You might have to ask to join, or also look at http://www.ozspurs.com.

you me both, another nomad.

Germany as a child, UK, Zambia as a single female in the 1960's, back to UK, 9 years Brunei, now Oz.

never hated anywhere, and Zambia after swinging London in the 60's was a cultural shock, but after the initial adjustment, managed to appreciate the difference, make the most of the experiences that anywhere different offered and ended up the richer for the experiences, but I've never had a closed mind, have always been up for the next adventure.

Sad the original poster has dissed Sydney, I haven't lived there, but visit regularly as my daughter lives there, she is well travelled, lived on her own in London, Mexico and Kenya, knows Asisa well as moved around with us, but manages to have a great time there.

not sure how long the original poster has been in Sydney? perhaps there is more going on than initially realised? but best move on sooner than later if so disappointed.

ps. Mary R please don't tell any one about The Lord Dudley, don't want the secret to get out!!!

I don't go there very much, now, but in the 1990's, it was a ritual on Saturday night, after watching 'The Bill', that I would get the train to Edgecliff and meet my mate Bill there, and we'd walk up to 'the Duddo' for four schooners (no more, no less) then walk back to Bill's place on New South Head Road, and I'd get a cab home from there. I often drive past it still on the way to or from the beach. My hangouts now are mainly in Surry Hills, along Devonshire St, Royal Exhibition tonight for 'pasta night', Strawberry Hills tomorrow for the trivia, Trinity on Thursday for the $12.50 schnitzel, Shakespeare any night - great $12.50 menu - bangers, mash and peas is my fave. Talking of beach, I'm going to be swimming in the dark!

Only a Forum. They won't bite you. If they do just bite back.Never has and never will stop me. You need to run against the herd at times. Freedom of expression is your cherished right. Use it.

if people get here and discover they miss their family or can't have the lifestyle they want - and they can afford to go home to where the lifestyle does suit them - why shouldn't they? Why should they go through suffering when they can go home and be happy?

Sometimes leaving somewhere that you have emigrated to can be harder than actually emigrating.

I remember when Mrs Pob and I left Canada, we had such high hopes and dreams of the future. They were frozen out of our grasp and swept away in a flurry of snow!

We were embarrassed to leave after saying all our goodbyes in England (again).

Coming to a decision that you don't like somewhere, is a difficult decision to make, assuming it is a mature decision and not a petulant one.

It can be heart wrenching to realise you have gone to the other side of the world, only to realise that you could have stayed right where you were and been happy.

For me, Australia giveth and Australia taketh away. What it gives to me, it takes away in equal amounts. I think it takes away more from other people that I know.

I personally would be happy staying for a few years, I would also be just as happy leaving too.

I wouldn't want to get old here though, not with the current healthcare business that is in place.

That is true, but we live in the Southern Hemisphere. Is the Southern Hemisphere worse than the Northern Hemisphere? Someone living in Asia would surely have Darwin as just one of many places, almost as close to Europe, as it is living in the UK. What would you say to someone from the Southern Hemsiphere who emigrated to England and then complained about the distance to South East Asia, and the South Pacific?

New Caledonia is not a substitute for France, any more than Australia is a substitute for England. It's somewhere unique, somewhere new to explore, along with Fiji, Vanuautu, Cook Islands, Samoa, Lord Howe Island, Norfolk Island, Tahiti, PNG. New Zealand, all different, all with their own unique cultures. I've just listed ten different countries/places you could spend the next ten years taking annual holidays to. Are they worse than going to ten different countries in Europe? Perhaps, subjectively, but it would be patronising to dismiss them as lacking in culture, history, interest, because of where they are.

Yes, there are first-class medical facilities in South America countries, but how many of them are welfare states like Australia? (They bloody well should be considering the wealth they all generate!) And they were comparing South American medical facilities to Australia.

I respect the right to criticise Australia, just as I would the UK. Imagine how you or I would feel if someone said 'I pity the poor old Pommies, living in their dirty, squalid little country, cold, wet, crowded, stuck in their memories of past glories, but then, they don't know any different.' I'd take umbrage to something like that!

They don't need to be welfare states to be of use to foreigners in the case of South America or Asia for that matter. Not everything medical is free in Australia unless prepared to wait sometimes a long time. Dental is also very expensive which is another attraction to the South East Asian region or India. Same for cosmetic surgery.

No it would not be patronising to say the islands you mention lack history, they of course have own culture but are similar in kind if according to racial group inhabiting. Likewise European has a commonality by virtue of being European and a far longer and more intense history.

All sides of the world have their supporters, which is as it should be. I certainly have my preferences.

I think the art of critique is exactly not the England example you gave, although hardly untrue for those with such thoughts. Australians are beginning to wake up and speak out but still away to go before it becomes the norm and to critique is not seen as treason.

Perhaps too good for too long? The changing times may accelerate changing attitudes. Voting patterns have suggested disquiet.

Only a Forum. They won't bite you. If they do just bite back.Never has and never will stop me. You need to run against the herd at times. Freedom of expression is your cherished right. Use it.

I get the feeling Flag that you run against the herd quite a lot!

I think it's a good thing, makes the forum a more well rounded place.

Beach - Bronte was great despite arriving in dark at 810 and putting up with usual amount of dickheads on drive down there. It was so mild, warm even and no wind. Hard to believe it is Autumn!

Now in Royal Exhibition hotel after dinner with my Aussie friends. I first met them here tho I did not talk to them for a few weeks.

I don't think Sydney or Australia is better than England and I could prob happily move back to England tomorrow and settle back into village life with my friends there.

Moved here to Sydney from sunny UK (I'm not British, was living in the UK for a while) and I must admit I'm not enjoying it at all. I hate the houses available on rent here. The old constructions, the ransoms for rent, the insane traffic, the distance to everything, I'm hating it...

I've lived and worked in 4 countries apart from Oz and of them all I'm just not liking it here. I hate to feel this way. I don't see what the point of moving here was...bah...

edit: The traffic here has caught me by surprise. It clear the infrastructure was not built for the population this city has at the moment. I've looked at over 10 houses to rent and each and every one of them is either too old or just in a very noisy location.

Always makes me laugh when you people insist on keeping 'the stone in your shoe' to remind you which foot to limp on...

Cheers, Bobj.

I'm not "judging" you mehman. I'm judging Willoughby! I lived in Naremburn for a while and while the North Shore has nice aspects about it, I'm just saying that I felt Sydney was beige when I was living there, too. And I'm suggesting that since it sounds like you're stuck in Sydney for a while, it would be worth the experiment of getting out of the North Shore and moving somewhere with more colour and life, like the Inner West, because it might make your remaining stay more bearable - and give you some of that oomph you're looking for.

I guess we just got caught up with all the hype. I'm thinking of renting in Artarmon. The houses are a bit of a shocker here but hey, its only 20 minutes into the city, so I'm leaning towards this place.

I like Artarmon (and it's one of the few areas I'm familiar with) but it's one suburb across from Willoughby; so apart from getting onto the train line, what would be the benefit? Or maybe that WOULD be the benefit!

EDIT: reading your post again, it seems like the train would be the reason to move.

Always makes me laugh when you people insist on keeping 'the stone in your shoe' to remind you which foot to limp on...

I don't quite get that comment, Bobj. The OP has moved to Sydney and doesn't like it. I'm sure he's already working on where to go next but as you know, moving countries isn't something you do at the drop of a hat, so it will take time. In the meantime, he needs to vent.

It seems it's OK for Brits to vent about what a $^&*(hole their town in England is while they're stuck waiting to get to Oz, but it's not OK to vent about any Australian city. Why is that?

Guest leonburger
I know people do make the move without having visited before but I'd be surprised if they weren't caught out by something. Although moving to a city of nearly 5 million and being shocked by traffic and costs, is a little unexpected! I agree the distances are difficult if you're not used to it and the train network is not exactly comprehensive (hence so many people are driving everywhere) , but a visit beforehand would have told you all this.

In London you would be paying similar rents, the traffic is still crap although eased by a pretty good public transport system and helped by the majority of people *broadly* working in a few concentrated areas.

No one likes to live in Sydney unless you are in the Eastern suburbs or North shore

No one likes to live in Sydney unless you are in the Eastern suburbs or North shore

...or inner west or parts of St George and the Shire and....there are little pockets in quite a few places, but you have to know where they are.

It always amazes me how different Sydney suburbs are. One of the reasons we're leaving Sydney is the affordability of housing - and frankly, if I can't live in one of the lively suburbs, I'm not interested in living in any of the others - the vibe really is that different.

Archived