Australian citizenship, EU passport

FTA

Hi,

3 kids have dual citizenship. One once arrived in Australia on EU passport and I was politely asked to get Australian passport to make the immigration department's life easier (they get frustrated when they can't use their stamp). Immigration said that since my kids were Australian citizens, they did not need a visa and were allowed to enter the country no problem, even without an Australian passport. But since I am a nice guy and an upstanding Australian citizen, and respected the immigration dept., I went out and got Aussie passports for all the kids.

Things have changed. I no longer respect Australian immigration and have recently lost all faith in the system. I refuse to give them another cent of my money, if it can be avoided, and will not be renewing any Australian passports, until such time as I decide to move back.

From what they told me, this will not be a problem.

However, in the back of my mind I took what they said as a veiled threat that they could make my life difficult if they wanted to.

So what is the worst that can happen?

Will my family be made to wait hours at the airport while I am strip searched?

btw, I am white caucasian Australian, no criminal history, no security risk, never been taken aside by immigration for any reason previously.

Hi,

Things have changed. I no longer respect Australian immigration and have recently lost all faith in the system. I refuse to give them another cent of my money, if it can be avoided, and will not be renewing any Australian passports, until such time as I decide to move back.

The Department of Immigration and Border Protection do not issue passports - that is done by the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade.

It has nothing to do with a stamp. It is just the same for the UK - for a dual national, you will enter/leave with a UK passport, and enter/leave Australia with an Australian passport. But having looked at your rant, I would be happier if you stayed out of Australia. Try France.

Seriously?

Its not an Australian thing! A lot of countries around the world require this and if you had spent as much time researching that as you did typing your rant you'd be aware and know why it's required.

Also what on earth does being White Caucasian and not having any criminal record etc have to do with anything?

It is law that australian citizens enter and leave with an australian passport.

Thanks, Not what they told me, but I'll happily take your word for it instead of learning the hard way.

They can seize your other nationality passports if you enter on them.

OK

The Department of Immigration and Border Protection do not issue passports - that is done by the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade.

Thanks, I wondered why they only took a week to process.

I thought the same rules applied to all Australians :confused:

Of course they do, but if your name is osama bin laden, or you make regular short trips to thailand, or you have carried more than 50 ciggies into Australia previously, it could and imo should be harder for you to get through immigration control.

It has nothing to do with a stamp. It is just the same for the UK - for a dual national, you will enter/leave with a UK passport, and enter/leave Australia with an Australian passport. But having looked at your rant, I would be happier if you stayed out of Australia. Try France.

I don't have UK citizenship, so I wouldn't know.

But I have entered Ireland plenty of times on my Australian passport, whilst having dual citizenship and there has been no threats of passport seizure etc. Cue the irish jokes.

Yes, France is a viable option.

Anyway, what rant? I only said that I didn't like the Australia immigration, oh and border protection dept, which I thought applied to 99% of people who had to deal with them.

Hi,

3 kids have dual citizenship. One once arrived in Australia on EU passport and I was politely asked to get Australian passport to make the immigration department's life easier (they get frustrated when they can't use their stamp). Immigration said that since my kids were Australian citizens, they did not need a visa and were allowed to enter the country no problem, even without an Australian passport. But since I am a nice guy and an upstanding Australian citizen, and respected the immigration dept., I went out and got Aussie passports for all the kids.

From what they told me, this will not be a problem.

However, in the back of my mind I took what they said as a veiled threat that they could make my life difficult if they wanted to.

So what is the worst that can happen?

Will my family be made to wait hours at the airport while I am strip searched?

btw, I am white caucasian Australian, no criminal history, no security risk, never been taken aside by immigration for any reason previously.

Not really sure the point of your post.

whats the worst that could happen, you won't even get to board the flight to go to Australia without a valid Australian Passport/NZ passport or visa. Since you are citizens you wont get issued a tourist visa etc.

Airlines will not print you a boarding pass if you do not have a visa or travel documents.

Thanks, Not what they told me, but I'll happily take your word for it instead of learning the hard way.

OK

Thanks, I wondered why they only took a week to process.

Of course they do, but if your name is osama bin laden, or you make regular short trips to thailand, or you have carried more than 50 ciggies into Australia previously, it could and imo should be harder for you to get through immigration control.

I don't have UK citizenship, so I wouldn't know.

But I have entered Ireland plenty of times on my Australian passport, whilst having dual citizenship and there has been no threats of passport seizure etc. Cue the irish jokes.

Yes, France is a viable option.

Anyway, what rant? I only said that I didn't like the Australia immigration, oh and border protection dept, which I thought applied to 99% of people who had to deal with them.

Australians get 6 months tourist visa on entry, and Ireland does not isnsist that you enter or leave on an Irish passport, even if you hold one. You just need to be entering legally. And an Ozzie passport is legal for entry for 6 months as a tourist.

Australia however does insist that you enter and leave on an Ozzie passport. USA is the same. Your kid was lucky he/she was allowed onto the plane in the first place, an adult would have been less lucky, almost certainly. They might possibly have been allowed to board in the end if they were armed with proof of ctizenship and had enough time to wait for verification from DIBP by phone.

Australians get 6 months tourist visa on entry, and Ireland does not isnsist that you enter or leave on an Irish passport, even if you hold one. You just need to be entering legally. And an Ozzie passport is legal for entry for 6 months as a tourist.

Australia however does insist that you enter and leave on an Ozzie passport. USA is the same. Your kid was lucky he/she was allowed onto the plane in the first place, an adult would have been less lucky, almost certainly. They might possibly have been allowed to board in the end if they were armed with proof of ctizenship and had enough time to wait for verification from DIBP by phone.

Thanks Nemesis, That sounds about right.

I specifically asked DIBP at Sydney airport, "Do I need to get kids an Australian passport?" and not in an unfriendly way. His (the boss man) answer "No, but (with a vague look on his face) you should".

Thanks Nemesis, That sounds about right.

I specifically asked DIBP at Sydney airport, "Do I need to get kids an Australian passport?" and not in an unfriendly way. His (the boss man) answer "No, but (with a vague look on his face) you should".

So your main beef is that you don't want to fork out money for an Australian passport. Cool. The other issues in your mini-rantette can then be ignored. Do as you will.

So your main beef is that you don't want to fork out money for an Australian passport. Cool. The other issues in your mini-rantette can then be ignored. Do as you will.

No, it's not the money. I just detest the DIBP.

Thinking about them makes me unhappy, so i will take your advice and stop it :)

If your name is on the watch list or they notice suspicious activity then that'll warrant extra scrutiny but in the end the same rules will apply to everyone.

If you have no criminal history and or not a security risk then those factors may be taken into account when a decision is made. But the fact that you think being "white caucasian" should make a difference ....

In the interest of not blowing this out of proportion. Let's chalk it up to bad choice of words.

Archived