Cyclone Marcia

HelensvaleHoward

http://www.weatherzone.com.au/news/tropical-cyclone-marcia-category-four-system-expected-to-cross-queensland-coast/244367

Tropical Cyclone Marcia is now forecast to intensify to category four by the time it crosses the central Queensland coast early on Friday.

The cyclone is currently category three and looms 200 kilometres off the coast.

It was expected to make landfall between St Lawrence and Gladstone, lashing the areas with gusts of up to 260 kilometres an hour (kph).

A cyclone watch had been issued for areas between Bundaberg and Double Island Point, extending inland to include Mundubbera, Gayndah and Murgon.

"This very dangerous cyclone is now at category four intensity and continuing to intensify extremely rapidly. It is now forecast to reach category four by landfall," the weather bureau's latest tropical cyclone advice said.

Residents from Mackay to the New South Wales border have been warned to expect intense rain of more than 300 millimetres.

More than 200 swiftwater rescue officers have been sent to flood-prone areas.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest The Pom Queen

** EMERGENCY WARNING SIGNAL now to be used by anyone transmitting these warnings between Bowen and Double Island Point **

** Regional Director of the BOM has indicated at a press conference that TC MARCIA could potentially reach CATEGORY 5 as it nears the coast **

Guest The Pom Queen
Two views of Marcia, first satpix from the US Navy Joint Typhoon Warning Centre showing visible cloud [ATTACH=CONFIG]28696[/ATTACH] note the distinct eye

the second is infra red from the NOAA satellite, she's a biggy [ATTACH=CONFIG]28697[/ATTACH]

That eye is amazing, I can't remember Yasi being so clear. I feel for the aboriginals in NT with Cyclone Lam that's a Cat 4 hardly any coverage, all the hype is for Brisbane again but then us up North are use to that.

Guest The Pom Queen
Kate, it's like the roads.......,,the further you are away from the seat of Government.........the worse the roads are.

Totally agree there especially after the rain last week.

Guest The Pom Queen
Can't sleep. It's so eerily calm! much more than usual. Hope I wake up in my own street tomorrow.

They always say "the calm before the storm". I'm sure you will be fine. It will be things like losing power or running out of food etc that usually affects you.

Stay safe.:wubclub:

5 o'clock this morning

http://www.weatherzone.com.au/radar/qld/mackay

Cheers, Bobj.

@Bobj , see it is now a Cat 5 , looks like she's going to miss you........reckon Yepoon might cop it as they are going to be South of the storm.......winds are always stronger South of the system.......still take care, hope you don't lose any banana trees from it

@Bobj , see it is now a Cat 5 , looks like she's going to miss you........reckon Yepoon might cop it as they are going to be South of the storm.......winds are always stronger South of the system.......still take care, hope you don't lose any banana trees from it

@Sir Les Patterson

Will check when it gets light...Thanks, mate.thumbs.gif

Cheers, Bobj

Nothing out of the ordinary to report from my end ,just constant rain since approx 6pm yesterday but still no wind. According to reports no road closures around here as yet so DD can head to school as normal, im only 5 mins away if it gets worse as the day goes on, so can easily pick her up.

Hope those in and around Yeppoon are staying safe right now.

Cal x

All calm still on the Sunny(?) Coast.

lake in front of us already very full, it's tidal and a very high tide is due at 9, the water has never yet come near us as we are about 10ft higher and grass between us before the wall, but some houses without a wall will be worried.

went to have a look at the sea yesterday, it was pretty rough, will have another look later.

stay safe everyone.

Just raining in inner north not very heavy. Nothing worse than a summer's day in Britain :wink:

LOL, My daughter said '' can i stay home its raining'' , i replied we lived with this for 30 years before moving here, go get your uniform on ! lol

If anything id imagine it will be tomorrow when roads etc near here start to flood, will just be wet today.

Cal x

Guest guest30085

Stay safe everyone!

I'm sure there's someone who posts on PIO who is based in Yeppoon?

Its beginning to look scary I hope all are safe or have got out of the way

Archived