Shipping Costs

BearnBob

Just had our fifth survey and are awaiting the last quote.

The quotes range from £3,960 to £4,960, the highest including DAFF fees, usually £300 I'm assured but happy to be corrected.

Once we have the last quote we will then see where the land lies but am delighted to get a quote under 4k from one of the top companies.

Pays to shop around but by the end of next week everything needs to be booked, so wish us luck.

Bear

We paid £3150 for a sole 20" container, Basildon to Sydney.. That was with Simpsons, they were amazing at customer service and packing. Lets hope that comes all good, expected end of March.

Hi All

It's been really great reading all the info on shipping. We will be moving from Cornwall to Mornington Peninsular in about 12 months time so all the info supplied is very useful.

I have a bit of a silly question to ask. When furniture is packed such as drawers or cupboards can the space inside these pieces be used as storage or does absolutely everything have to go into boxes. It seems like there' safe as of empty space that might not be utilised. Anyone know the answer?

Julie

Hi All

It's been really great reading all the info on shipping. We will be moving from Cornwall to Mornington Peninsular in about 12 months time so all the info supplied is very useful.

I have a bit of a silly question to ask. When furniture is packed such as drawers or cupboards can the space inside these pieces be used as storage or does absolutely everything have to go into boxes. It seems like there' safe as of empty space that might not be utilised. Anyone know the answer?

Julie

Yes, you can though only really for lightweight stuff (clothes/bedding). If you have a divan bed the drawers on that must be empty though.

• 2 weeks later...

My son and family will be shipping their household stuff from the West Midlands to Brisbane in November. They have a dining table and a large bed plus child's bed, cot ; the rest is normal household effects.

Grateful for suggestions about which companies to use. I understand they already have had a couple of quotes.

if you're self packing then you should be given the option to purchase these from the moving company and have them delivered in advance or to source your own (but if you do make sure they are proper moving boxes and not used supermarket cartons etc).

A few questions about boxes if you don't mind:

Can I ask why not use supermarket cartons? Is it the size or just the strength? Most of our boxed stuff is already packed, not in supermarket cartons but in cartons from DIY stores (because they're sturdier). We have some "proper" moving boxes from a previous move but they seem pretty flimsy compared to the DIY boxes.

Also, we have quite a few archive boxes - the ones with the separate lid. Will we need to repack those into boxes that can be fully sealed?

Do boxes have to be a minimum size? We have a few smaller boxes because the contents are very heavy books so smaller was easier for handling.

Finally, if we ship in a shared container, does that mean that every box has to be labelled?

Edited by Marisawright

Yes, you can though only really for lightweight stuff (clothes/bedding). If you have a divan bed the drawers on that must be empty though.

Is that based on official advice from the moving company? From my experience on domestic moves in Australia, I can't see how that would work because the removalists won't move filing cabinets, chests of drawers etc with any contents in them. And I doubt they'd let you on the truck to pack stuff in them after they're loaded!

Can I ask why not use supermarket cartons? Is it the size or just the strength? Most of our boxed stuff is already packed, not in supermarket cartons but in cartons from DIY stores (because they're sturdier). We have some "proper" moving boxes from a previous move but they seem pretty flimsy compared to the DIY boxes.

Also, we have quite a few archive boxes - the ones with the separate lid. Will we need to repack those into boxes that can be fully sealed?

Do boxes have to be a minimum size? We have a few smaller boxes because the contents are very heavy books so smaller was easier for handling.

Finally, if we ship in a shared container, does that mean that every box has to be labelled?

We didnt ship lots, but what we did ship i packed into cardboard boxes (mainly ones from the supermarket) and wrote on each box what was in it (DVD's, Books, Clothes, Kitchen Utensils etc), Crown who were shipping them in a shared container for us, just picked them up and put them into Crown boxes. The only boxes they didnt place into Crown boxes were hubbys plastic tool boxes.

Cal x

yikes...

We don't really have that much of a budget for shipping. hopefully we can get all our crap into a shared container or even a move cube (even though Seven Seas seem to get quite unfavourable reviews...)

Bear in mind if you get rid of more stuff so shipping costs less, you'll only have to add more money into your set-up budget when you get to Oz, so you may wind up worse off. I found it helpful to convert the average shipping cost into a cost per cubic metre (I know it varies but I picked a figure of $170 per cu m). So now I can look at the size of my sofa, for instance, and know it will cost about $360 to send - obviously worth it, because it will cost a lot more than that to buy a replacement! Whereas my tall bookcases would be barely worth it as they cost only about $100 each anyway.

Strength mostly, if they are thinner or not made of as many layers (our cartons for example are tri-wall) then there is risk of either breaking or damage if the carton is exposed to the weather etc... one other minor risk is that if a carton was previously used for holding something that is prohibited (Food etc) then this might cause extra concern for AQIS inspectors on import.

Nope! You're fine, I'd advise taping the lid down so it doesn't come off but it doesn't have to be sealed completely.

There is no minimum size for boxes.

Yes, typically the shipping company will label up your boxes and items with your details so nothing gets mixed up and can be quickly identified. They will also make a numbered inventory so everything can be listed when it goes in and checked off when it comes out.

Hope that helps!