Dead man walking?

starlight7

Tony Abbott? Do you think he will get out of this fiasco about Prince Phillip? Will he sack his advisor Peta Cretin and keep going or will he, himself, get rolled? His staff member is obviously pretty poor at advising but maybe he just ignores her anyway. Either way, she should go. If he does get rolled, who would take over? Turnbull? Bishop? Or maybe someone else?

Tony Abbott? Do you think he will get out of this fiasco about Prince Phillip? Will he sack his advisor Peta Cretin and keep going or will he, himself, get rolled? His staff member is obviously pretty poor at advising but maybe he just ignores her anyway. Either way, she should go. If he does get rolled, who would take over? Turnbull? Bishop? Or maybe someone else?

He'll need a period of relative calm with no stupid gaffes and he'll be fine. He cannot have another 'captains pick' ever again and his paid-parental leave is dead in the water now, but if he manages to direct attention away from himself for a couple of months he'll stay in his job. If not, the backbenchers will have to ark up to guarantee their seats. Expect Bishop to step in. Turnbull too lefty, Morrison too righty, Hockey not good enough.

He'll need a period of relative calm with no stupid gaffes and he'll be fine. He cannot have another 'captains pick' ever again and his paid-parental leave is dead in the water now, but if he manages to direct attention away from himself for a couple of months he'll stay in his job. If not, the backbenchers will have to ark up to guarantee their seats. Expect Bishop to step in. Turnbull too lefty, Morrison too righty, Hockey not good enough.

Do you think the Liberals will risk a woman as leader, after what happened with Julia?

Julia's problem was not her gender.

I'd be amazed if anyone in politics in this century thinks having a woman in a leadership position is a risk.

I think it was a good 50% of her problem. The conservatives in the UK have never risked it again after Thatcher. Even though not one politician would admit it they will know it's a risk. I always think Julia Bishop looks very smart and does a good job in her current role. She took a long time to find a niche where she did look good too. I don't think she's leadership material but she's ambitious and might get a go.

The Labor Party must be having a good old chuckle about now.

It makes me wonder what is happening that Tony wants to direct our attention away from! I think the post I saw on social media "Tony is very good at making you look at his left hand while he hits you with his right" is pretty spot on. More people talking about this stupid knighthood thing than the TPP which has potential to be far more damaging for our country https://www.getup.org.au/campaigns/tpp/tpp/the-dirtiest-deal-youve-never-heard-of?t=EjXgRf56P

Very unexpected result in the Queensland election this weekend. This could be the nail in the coffin for Abbot. Not too happy about a hung parliament but the election turned out to be a referendum on asset sales. If LNP had taken it off the table then they would probably have won a comfortable majority.

I'm amazed how fickle the electors of Australia are. How soon they seem to forget the problems of earlier governments.

i can't speak for Queensland but here in Victoria you had the MYKI debacle, North/South pipeline which apparently has not delivered a drop of water.

The desalination plant which again has not delivered a drop of water but has left a legacy of millions of $s interest daily and maintenance costs for years to come.

Yet after one term in opposition the ALP are voted back in again.

The national ALP with their deconstruction of Australian border control resulting in thousands of " immigrants" costing billions to look after, and the loss of hundreds of "asylum seekers" at sea. The pink batts saga with scores of homes going up in flame and the sad deaths of four fitters. The halls for schools which very few wanted or needed. and apparently cost more to build than any normal tendering process.

My great worry is that in just over two weeks after we become citizens we will then have to make up our minds who to vote for.

Mike

What do you expect the people to do if they get poor government? Vote for the guys who screwed up?

The QLD election was essentially a referendum on asset sales and QLDers didn't want to get rid of profitable assets. There was also the attacks on the judiciary, medical profession, civil liberties and the winding back of anti-corruption legislation. Along with sacking thousands of people and awarding themselves pay rises. Ask instead why politicians insist on governing in their own self interest. Maybe when that starts happening we might get governments lasting longer than one term.

I'm amazed how fickle the electors of Australia are. How soon they seem to forget the problems of earlier governments.

i can't speak for Queensland but here in Victoria you had the MYKI debacle, North/South pipeline which apparently has not delivered a drop of water.

The desalination plant which again has not delivered a drop of water but has left a legacy of millions of $s interest daily and maintenance costs for years to come.

Yet after one term in opposition the ALP are voted back in again.

The national ALP with their deconstruction of Australian border control resulting in thousands of " immigrants" costing billions to look after, and the loss of hundreds of "asylum seekers" at sea. The pink batts saga with scores of homes going up in flame and the sad deaths of four fitters. The halls for schools which very few wanted or needed. and apparently cost more to build than any normal tendering process.

My great worry is that in just over two weeks after we become citizens we will then have to make up our minds who to vote for.

Mike

I think you could have changed that first sentence to read I'm amazed at how fickle voters are in general and how short a memory they have. Remember the so called mess the labour government in the UK left? Political Experts were predicting they wouldn't get back in for another 10 years. One term of a Conservative government and people are turning back to Labour apparently and can't wait to get rid of the Conservatives. Or maybe the UKIP will surprise everyone.

Was a bit of a shock to see the massive turnaround in Queensland mind you. I always felt a bit sorry for Anna Bligh, I thought she did a great job during the once in a lifetime floods but people seemed to almost blame her for their woes. Looks like Campbell Newman was more disliked than her ever dreamed possible. I don't think much to the Labour leader they have though, she made a couple of real blunders on TV. Just shows how bad a job the liberals did.

I always felt a bit sorry for Anna Bligh, I thought she did a great job during the once in a lifetime floods but people seemed to almost blame her for their woes. Looks like Campbell Newman was more disliked than her ever dreamed possible. I don't think much to the Labour leader they have though, she made a couple of real blunders on TV. Just shows how bad a job the liberals did.

I agree - her performance during the floods was excellent - the best example of disaster management I have seen - lots to be learned about management and communications

I had quite a bit to do with Tony Abbott at one stage and quite like him as a person. Many of the things written about him don't ring true of the person I knew him to be.

However, he is blundering his was through his Prime Ministership and I will be surprised if he isn't replaced. He will have to do some serious fence mending behind the scenes, and quickly, if he doesn't want to get the chop.

For emphasis I think.

I think he is trying to fix up his shortcomings. The knighthood was a major blunder and makes him seem very out of touch.

Unfortunately he will never be as naturally engaging a speaker as Malcolm Turnbull so we shouldn't expect him to be.

I'm not sure any of the senior ministers would want to challenge him.

I think it is more likely he may eventually stand down if it becomes obvious, even to him, that things are hopeless with him at the helm.

I believe he would be honourable enough to do that. Gillard never was and was prepared to drag the whole party down to nothing in the polls rather than stand down for Kevin Rudd.

Guest The Pom Queen
I agree - her performance during the floods was excellent - the best example of disaster management I have seen - lots to be learned about management and communications

I also agree, Anna was excellent especially 4 years ago when Yasi hit.

Archived