Is there anything you wished you'd stocked up on??

Kylie Clayton

Guest Chewitts
Paracetamol and Ibuprofen, antihistimines...in fact any over the counter medication/antiseptic cream/ointment etc that you would use fairly regularly.

Why would you do that??

I didn't stock up on anything before we came over, but my MIL does send piriton (tablets and liquid) from time to time. We can't get it over the counter here, and I don't want to have to take my child to see the GP every time she has a heat rash.

I wish id brought more Buttercup Syrup as i have yet to find anything the same and i also wish id brought more Calpol, especially travel sachets as my daughter who was little back then just didn't like the Calpol equivalents here and they dont sell it in travel sachets.

Cal x

See above. I find it worthwhile.

Coles caplets are 70c for a pack of 20.

Asda caplets are 19p for a pack of 16.

So Coles caplets cost 3.5c each and Asda caplets cost 1.18p each.

So you're saving about one cent per caplet by buying them in the UK.

You need to buy a hundred caplets (or 6.25 boxes) in the UK in order to save a single dollar.

Or 62 boxes in order to save $10.

Or 625 boxes in order to save $100.

You have admit it's not a huge saving ... :wink:

Coles caplets are 70c for a pack of 20.

Asda caplets are 19p for a pack of 16.

So Coles caplets cost 3.5c each and Asda caplets cost 1.18p each.

So you're saving about one cent per caplet by buying them in the UK.

You need to buy a hundred caplets (or 6.25 boxes) in the UK in order to save a single dollar.

Or 62 boxes in order to save $10.

Or 625 boxes in order to save $100.

You have admit it's not a huge saving ... :wink:

OMG!!!! Panadolgate:frown:....I wouldn't go out of my way, just picked up a few boxes whilst there.....wish I'd never mentioned it now!

No..u get used to buying n doing it different after few weeks..I cant think of anything I wish I had brought. .need to get used to change so may aswell start straight up than waiting for your uk stock to run out!

Yes. That's what I keep saying to my OH. Spurred on by Wanted Down Under she has looked online comparing our weekly shop and comparing it unfavourably for cost. My point is that you shop for offers etc when in UK so would do the same in Oz so you are never comparing fairly. Embrace the changes and let go of the old - that is one of the prime reasons for emigrating IMO.

I'm moving soon and only stocking up on some medical essentials for my daughters eczema and asthma as I know the cost of the creams and inhalers can be quite expensive in Australia compared to the UK. Oh, and my wife is for some reason buying new duvet covers as she thinks they are cheaper here :)

I'd be interested to know the cost of Anadin Extra in Coles as I go through a packet of 16 every week and I know these are the only ones that subdue my nagging headaches.

I'm moving soon and only stocking up on some medical essentials for my daughters eczema and asthma as I know the cost of the creams and inhalers can be quite expensive in Australia compared to the UK. Oh, and my wife is for some reason buying new duvet covers as she thinks they are cheaper here :)

I'd be interested to know the cost of Anadin Extra in Coles as I go through a packet of 16 every week and I know these are the only ones that subdue my nagging headaches.

Your Duvet covers might not fit! and if you look in the right place (not Myers) you get them cheap enough!

I made the biggest mistake on my first trip back...of stocking up on things I thought, were cheaper. When I got back I realised they weren't.

on my next trip back in may, I will stock up on bedding cos I find the quality better, shoes because a) i find it hard to get 1/2 sizes here but my feet like the ranges back there. And as a treat clothes, not because I can't here, but it will nice having things others don't.

I'm still mourning my nice leather boots from 1974- they told us not to bring them because it was too hot to wear them. Friggin liars! I send over to Debenhams for nice doona covers- they are cheaper so long as you get them at sale time. Used to get M and S undies but Target ones are ok these days and work out cheaper. You can get bisto here, and Birds custard but haven't seen Bovril ( wouldn't want to!)

I'm still mourning my nice leather boots from 1974- they told us not to bring them because it was too hot to wear them. Friggin liars! I send over to Debenhams for nice doona covers- they are cheaper so long as you get them at sale time. Used to get M and S undies but Target ones are ok these days and work out cheaper. You can get bisto here, and Birds custard but haven't seen Bovril ( wouldn't want to!)

Do you not find that the doona covers are a different size? My mil bought eldest a doona/duvet cover for Christmas, and the duvet is about 6 inches too long and has to be folded over at the end. They are both singles, but the Aussie single seems longer.

Our local Woolies has an English section. It has Bisto, Paxo, Terrys Chocolate Orange, HP Sauce, Licorice Allsorts, Jelly Babies and so on. I almost bought the girls a bag of the Jelly Babies and Licorice Allsorts for Christmas until I saw that they were over $6 for a small bag! The only thing I have bought is Fruity sauce, because there doesn't seem to be an Aussie equivalent.

That's a lot of aspirin on a regular basis? Watch out for stomach ulcers, aspirin can cause gastric irritation and shouldn't be taken long term, see your Dr for an alternative perhaps? (especially if you get any heartburn/reflux/pain in tummy/back)

Archived