Stay away from WA, it's not for you....

HappyHeart

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tbh if it didn't have the quokkas I'd probably give it a miss. It reminds me a lot of herm actually but it's expensive! Why can't they bring the quokkas over to perth lol

They do have a couple in Caversham Wildlife Park in Perth but it's not the same as seeing them roaming around in their own environment

They do have a couple in Caversham Wildlife Park in Perth but it's not the same as seeing them roaming around in their own environment

Yeah better seeing them in the wild. They just look so happy all the time :laugh: I was on the rottnest Facebook page earlier looking at pics. It looks so nice

I really loved it - I've been to Perth three times and never made it over until our last trip but I really wish I'd gone sooner. If you want to save money, you can do it in a day although it would be lovely seeing sunset / sunrise there. I can't remember how much our ferry was now - I think it was about $180 for both of us as a day trip from Hillary's. I was a bit worried about the crossing as not great on boats but I took tablets before each trip and was absolutely fine - it was a bit surreal though as for some reason they were showing a Mr Bean DVD on the ferry :laugh:

Haha mr bean is random lol. If I can afford it I'll try and stay overnight in the hostel. I'm like you.. Not that great on the boat. I remember one day the trident (herm boat) was swaying around a bit and I felt so sick. I can't imagine what it must be like in winter! I was the same on the boat to Ireland, that was really bad.

Maybe it is expensive...

but its here in WA.

and it is beautiful, as beautiful and unspoilt as the Maldives .

its on your doorstep, do it if only once.

cheaper alternative is a lovely guy that will take 8 of you over on his own boat from Hillarys.

pack your esky, hop on board and he will give you the best day out, visiting the bays, with the opportunity to swim, snorkel, sunbathe, whatever

Yep it seems a expensive place! I'm still going to go though, I'll just live off pot noodles lol. I'll let you know how the hostel is haha

What you need is a friend with a boat. Preferably one big enough to sleep on.:laugh:

We used to go the week before Christmas every year when the kids were younger. We've stayed in Longreach and Geordie bays and managed to get a cabin right next to the beach every time we went. I think we had to book a year in advance though. Had great times, spent hours untangling fishing line, even managed a few minutes fishing myself.:rolleyes:

Biking around with the kids and wife, no cars to worry about, always found plenty to amuse us and keep the kids happy without having Nintendos, TV, XBox, kids actually read a book or two. They were usually so tired they would be falling asleep about 9:00pm, up at the crack of dawn though.

I went with my youngest as a parent helper and stayed in the old army barracks for a week. They still had the layout of the place on the wall from when it used to be the operating theatre and hospital in the war. Got told off one day for taking a few of the kids out snorkelling too far. The kids loved it and the teachers got to the beach, got the paper out and read or just sat chatting. Me and the other parent helper guy took a load of kids out. Admittedly we did go quit a long way out but we saw a dolphin and loads of fish. Teachers were hopeless as far as entertaining the kids went.

We go every year now for the rottnest swimthru. It's a 1600m swim and an excuse for a decent weekend away and a few beers with friends. Swim only takes about half an hour.:laugh:

Last few times we've stayed in Rottnest Lodge. Not cheap but you get a buffet breakfast thrown in and we just sit and relax for an hour or so whilst topping up our plates up and recovering from the night before in the pub. They have a live band in the pub and another one in the Rottnest Lodge bar.

Here's a couple of photos from last years swimthru. I've posted them in another thread before I think.

20141206_135754.jpg

Swimthru finish line.

20141206_154926.jpg

The pub outdoor bar. One of my favourite pubs, this year we were walking back from the swim and we had to walk by the pub, it was just too tempting. Learned that beer goes to your head a lot quicker when you've not had much to eat and swum a fair way.:laugh:

20141206_135754.jpg

20141206_154926.jpg

Boy she was pretty scathing about Stratford Upon Heaven. I think Germaine lost the plot when the burn your bra feminine movement petered out, she's made her living since writing contentious articles just to keep herself relevant. Go for a pint with Germaine and I reckon you would be ready to slit your wrists when you came out.

She was a troll before the internet was invented.

I'm disgusted that people have jumped on this thread just to ridicule it too. Same old, but to me it's out of order, if you don't like the place move on. There is no need to ruin yet another thread.

Don't let him upset you QSS, he loves to have a go at Perth. He had a bad time here for some reason.

Tbh if it didn't have the quokkas I'd probably give it a miss. It reminds me a lot of herm actually but it's expensive! Why can't they bring the quokkas over to perth lol

They'd get killed by all the cats Stacey. They haven't a clue how to defend themselves and hide or anything. They are so friendly with anyone and anything.

You might look like one of our Asian visitors:laugh: You see plenty of them with armbands on, out of their depth and then they panic when they realise how far they've drifted from the beach.

Did I read that they walk about with umberellas for shade too? That'll totally be me lol.

Aww poor little quokkas, definitely don't want cats getting them so good thing they are over there. I thought I'd read that people weren't to touch them etc but it sounds like they are the ones that go to people and also loads take selfies with them

I'm disgusted that people have jumped on this thread just to ridicule it too. Same old, but to me it's out of order, if you don't like the place move on. There is no need to ruin yet another thread.

Pity them Hun - they are obviously unhappy and dissatisfied with their own situations otherwise they wouldn't bother commenting.