Perth or brisbane??!?!

Ja55ren

Hi

i moved to oz just over a year ago with hubby and two young kids. We have since been living in mackay, queensland. However other half has had a job offer in Perth and brisbane! But really can't decide which of the two would be better. We love mackay if only it had a city nearby, so City access is a must but nice quiet place to live in. Good for families with outdoor activities would be good. So hoping people can help with experiences/opinions of both. Much appreciated, thanks jas

Brisbane all day.. You pay more to live in perth, your isolated, not much to do ( yes really ) , 4 hrs flight from anything, tiny cbd, over in brisbane you have gold and sunny coast for a starters... And sydney, melbourne short and cheap flight away..

Sounds wonderful. Shame you're handcuffed in Perth, hey....

Thanks everyone for the responses so far. The other thing I forgot to mention is common pests such as house geckos, I CANT stand them!!!!!!! So interested to know what are the common household pests in both areas??

thanks

jas

I think you might find they are everywhere Jas. One thing though, if you can cope with Brizzy's intense humidity especially at this time of year there are fewer flies and insects.

..........I live in Brisbane and agree the possibilities of near places to visit is a bonus...

.........plenty of outer suburbs for a country feel within commuting distance to the city...

..........though peak hour traffic is a challenge..!

..........trains are good here....

..........a range of out door activities depends what you want...

..........from beaches to camping....and Brisbane city has much to offer....

...........plenty of bars and cafes.....

...........the entertainment Center.....museums...

............rock climbing at kangeroo point....

............the usual sky diving at the beaches.....lots of country escapes...

.............walks in national parks...

.............smaller towns to visit within a decent drive...

..............and other major cities within a short plane ride.....

...............you get used to the weather.....though the humidity can be a challenge in the height of summer...

................what's on your wish list....?

.................the must haves....

..................would help to see if it's available here.....

....................best of luck with your choice.......X

we live in mackay so gets pretty humid here as we are North of brisbane so that's ok. It's the indoor geckos I can't handle!!! Other than that criteria would be (obviously ideal):

- nice weather

- less indoor bugs and geckos than here (mackay queensland),

- family friendly

- activities for kids

- places to visit during daytime with kiddies

- good schools

- easy cbd access

- quiet, friendly and community orientated place to live (again with access to cbd),

- an international airport not too far,

- friendly people,

- I think I will stop there but no asking for too much lol!!!!!!

thanks everyone!!!!

jas

I live in Brisbane and we have many geckoes in our house (we love them and encourage them but each to his own) but we live in a very bushy outer suburb and this is the first house here that we've lived in that has had any. I'd never seen a gecko before we moved to Brookfield (having previously lived in Kenmore, Chermside, Wishart, Bridgeman Downs and Carseldine) so I doubt if you'll find any in all but the oldest and/or bushiest areas. Brisbane ticks the boxes on everything else on your list and is a brilliant place to raise kids.

We live on the Bayside in Brisbane - been here 4 months from the UK.

We see the odd spider in the house (not many though) and don't get geckos in the house but have seen a few on the walls outside. I do get mozzie/midge bites on a regular basis though!!

It's 30 minutes to drive to Brisbane CBD and roughly the same to get to the airport and it's always been a pretty easy drive and we've never had problems parking - the trains are also very easy and cheap. Straddie and the Gold/Sunshine Coasts are all easy day trips out if you want to go to the beach.

It's ever-so-slightly cooler by the Bayside than the rest of Brisbane (although I'm still finding it crazy hot!)

Never been to Perth so can't comment on there!! Absolutely love it in Brisbane :-)

We had the same dilemma when we first moved over with job offers in Perth and Brisbane. We went for Brisbane for many of the reasons mentioned by others on this post and have not regretted it, its a great lifestyle for us and our two young children. I haven't been to Perth and so can't comment, I have heard it is very beautiful but isolated.

We do see lots of geckos, spiders and creepy crawlies, not sure how that compares to Perth, although when hubby worked over there on one site he did comment on there being far more flies during particular times of the year.

I suppose you have to weigh up what needs you have for your family in terms of entertainment/lifestyle etc Hope you get lots more advice to help with your decision.

We are a real long way off but I am trying to absorb as much info as possible!! When I go on the property websites and enter the amount we roughly can afford, loads of available properties come up for Queensland but when I do the same search around Perth......Nada, Nowt!!!!! So can only assume that unless we can walk into a very well paid job the cost of living in Perth would be too much. Good luck with your decision x

Your decision should be based on many more things other than the size of house you can afford.. Materialistic attitude

Don't be so judgemental (which is a judgemental comment in itself). Everyone has their own values.

We loved Perth, never been to Brisbane. But I can imagine being closer to other stuff is a bonus. We really like the dry heat, so that's a plus for us. Others hate that.

Your decision should be based on many more things other than the size of house you can afford.. Materialistic attitude

She Didnt say anything about the size of the house...just the fact that nothing in her price range came up in Perth.

So maybe you or I, should be thankful that we can afford to live in Perth...wether we want to or not :cool:

Don't be so judgemental (which is a judgemental comment in itself). Everyone has their own values.

We loved Perth, never been to Brisbane. But I can imagine being closer to other stuff is a bonus. We really like the dry heat, so that's a plus for us. Others hate that.

Live in Perth, have visited Brisbane.

for me what you have said kinda sums it up. Brisbane you def have a lot more choice of other places to visit for a day. Downside could be the humidity, but people seem to get used to it.

Perth you need to enjoy more laid back activities, certainly if you enjoy the beach life, its great. Also as has been said summer is a dry heat with wall to wall sunshine all summer, no rain!!

As for CBD's I do prefer Perths. I find there is more than enough places to shop, eat, drink, entertainment.

but I agree that if you are already used to QLD, then Brisbane will have the choices your looking for.

good luck

Que Sera don't know if I would agree with the weather comparison that Perth has the edge on Brisbane

Tell us more dxbox:wink:

I would say Perth has the best summer months, ie for temps, dry heat, no rain etc. must admit in the depth of a Perth winter, I would gladly move East :laugh:

What's materialistic about it??? If we can't afford a roof over our heads (and I'm not talking a fancy or big roof here!!) that's it..... Too bad for me!!

I have two small children, unfortunately we can't stay in hostels and room share.

But thanks for your comment Paul :confused:

Rain and humidity in Summer in Brissie .I visit every year Winter & Summer, every time terrential rain. Yes the temperatures are warmer but for me, no a dry more liveable climate is much better. Also we don't get the flooding and definately not so many storms. I speak to my daughters all the time and we compare. Apart from our cold winters ( which they hate here) the rest of the year here is bliss.

Edited by Que Sera, Sera

Well we come with zero, zilch.

but thanks to being classed as first time buyers, we were able to buy in Perth no probs, v little savings needed. No dramas.

and before you say...but your out in the burbs. That was our choice, taking on a reasonable sized mortgage, that still left us with money for the fun stuff. And we enjoy it, got the best of both worlds, quiet area and roads, but a few resonable pubs and eateries around, enough to keep us going, but with the freeway on our doorstep if we want to head north or south for a change of scenery.