Health Care in the UK vs Australia

Marisawright

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

My point goes back to the OP's question about healthcare in the UK - which as I warned is NOT free for non-residents, even if you have a UK passport as I do. I think that's a fairly important detail. Not sure why some are still trying to deny this, despite being quoted the relevant sections of NHS website and shown photos to back up my personal experience of this. Let me say it again in big capital shouty letters. AUSTRALIANS NOW HAVE TO PAY FOR TREATMENT IN UK HOSPITALS.

My point goes back to the OP's question about healthcare in the UK - which as I warned is NOT free for non-residents, even if you have a UK passport as I do. I think that's a fairly important detail. Not sure why some are still trying to deny this, despite being quoted the relevant sections of NHS website and shown photos to back up my personal experience of this. Let me say it again in big capital shouty letters. AUSTRALIANS NOW HAVE TO PAY FOR TREATMENT IN UK HOSPITALS.

Australians yes,,,,what about brits who return after 12 months.

It is probably not as frantic, not as under staffed and undervalued and as they were in the UK. Im sure we have longer waiting lists so I suppose it is swings and roundabouts. x

It is just as bad and getting worse. Staff leaving and not being replaced etc, etc. As a patient in the public system in Australia, I have waited 16 months just to get an eye test at my local hospital.

I had a friend who had a off road motorbike related shoulder injury. He went NHS and after few months and few visits they told him that they can't fix his shoulder and he can't do any sports with that shoulder. He decided to go private and when he got appointment at the same hospital he seen the very same doctor who told him that it's possible to fix it. He had surgery and he have the full use of his shoulder...

Guest littlesarah
Please just review what you have said; it is my experience that when working in Public Hospitals in Australia Visiting Medical Officers follow very rigid protocols, and to suggest like you do that they do "pretty much whatever they want" is just wrong.

Perhaps I wasn't very clear: I'm not referring to the provision of care in public hospitals by VMOs, I'm talking about the care provided in private locations but paid for in part or wholly by Medicare. I have good reason to believe that some courses of management are influenced (whether or not consciously) by financial factors. I can't say more without providing evidence, which I'm not able to do. And I should stress that I am not referring to all health professionals, or whole professions. My point really, is that the provision of care outside a public setting (i.e. in multiple private practices/consulting rooms) would seem to me to be harder to regulate/monitor (not sure if I've used the best choice of word, always rushing!) than that provided in one location. But I may very well be wrong - I don't have all the answers, only lots and lots of questions!

Guest littlesarah
the people that were mentioned in above post were british passport holders..they will treat you, in fact they treat anyone or anything

This may have been said before (haven't read all the posts yet), but it's not about passport, it's about 'habitual residence'. My son has an Aussie passport only, and was treated at A&E in the UK, we had to complete a form because of his non-resident status (though I'm sure we could've lied - how would they have known? I've an English accent & he's not old enough to talk!), but his care was covered under the reciprocal agreement between Aus & UK. We did also take out insurance, precisely because anything other than immediate 'patch-up' care wouldn't necessarily be covered (& because any additional costs like missing work, changing flights, or worst case scenario medical assisted flight or repatriation of a body/ashes are also possible outcomes of life). A wonky digit isn't really considered to be anything other than a minor irritation (have you looked into whether it's just an exostosis that could be excised at minimal cost and usually fairly low risk, if it bothers you?)

If someone is newly-arrived but living in the UK, they shouldn't have to pay to receive treatment if they can demonstrate that they now 'habitually reside' in the country. I assume you'd just get a new NHS card etc (there must be some form to fill in when you return after an absence).

Personally, I fully support that stance - the NHS isn't there to pick up the pieces for people who want non-emergency medical treatment. If you're visiting, take out insurance or be prepared to foot the bill for any costs incurred (as a result of medical or other issues).

Guest littlesarah
So someone who has contributed National Insurance for many years should be denied "free" NHS care because they have have returned to UK after spending some time in Oz?

Yes, if they're only there on holiday, apart from that agreed to under the reciprocal arrangement. For those who have returned to live and work, care should be provided as for other residents of the country.

If you are self employed the NHS is still free.

The NHS isn't "free" for anyone who is employed.

Look at your pay packet at the bar, National insurance will be deducted.

Ok it's not free so what's your point...? You just won't leave it alone.. You live in Australia so why you would be bothered about another countries health care system is beond me...

no health service is free (maybe Cuba?)

but this is my heath care in WA last month:

doctor appointment (we have no bulk bills) $38 but x two as needed two = $76

Prescription = = 85 I actually needs another two mess including a statin but I simply can't afford them

chest X-ray = $224

next month nth and probably the month after even these will not happen as I simply don't have the cash. None were claimable on Medicare or private.

We will have to drop our private health cover in the next couple of months. At which point, I will no longer be able to afford an ambulance for a heart attack - oh and two of the drugs I can no longer afford are to prevent it. So, I suspect 2015 maybe my bow out.

Ok it's not free so what's your point...? You just won't leave it alone.. You live in Australia so why you would be bothered about another countries health care system is beond me...

Well can say the same for you...

Course I'm bothered about the NHS I could move home some time, I'm not one of these "haters" of either country.

Prescription = = 85 I actually needs another two mess including a statin but I simply can't afford them

chest X-ray = $224

next month nth and probably the month after even these will not happen as I simply don't have the cash. None were claimable on Medicare or private.

We will have to drop our private health cover in the next couple of months. At which point, I will no longer be able to afford an ambulance for a heart attack - oh and two of the drugs I can no longer afford are to prevent it. So, I suspect 2015 maybe my bow out.

Oh come on, if you were that desperate you would have a health care card!!!! I remember you being on here letting us know you were living the high life on your big wages, so maybe you should have put some of them away for emergencies.

chest X-ray = $224

Good luck VS.. Hope you find work soon