UK or Australia - years after returning, weighing the scales....

Nzogbia

education is my field. The uk comprehensive system is a joke which desperately needs an overhaul, and there is constant debate to bring back grammars. Private schools are totally exclusive. Famously, finland has the world's best education system. These things are complex and hard to measure, but the un education index is the best international equivalency we have. Finland is 1, australia is 4, and the uk is 31, to give you some idea of how the systems are ranked.

might be your field but over the years i have read on here people who are shocked how poor the australian system in compared to the uk...arwe they all lying?

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Education is my field. The UK comprehensive system is a joke which desperately needs an overhaul, and there is constant debate to bring back grammars. Private schools are totally exclusive. Famously, Finland has the world's best education system. These things are complex and hard to measure, but the UN Education Index is the best international equivalency we have. Finland is 1, Australia is 4, and the UK is 31, to give you some idea of how the systems are ranked.

REALLY....

[h=1]UK 'second best education in Europe'[/h]The UK is in second place among European countries and sixth overall in a global education league table.

South Korea is top, with three other Asian countries and Finland making up the top five, in rankings from education and publishing firm, Pearson.

The rankings include higher education as well as international school tests - which boosted the UK's position.

Pearson chief executive John Fallon highlighted the economic importance of improving education and skills.

These latest international comparisons, compiled for Pearson by the Economist Intelligence Unit, emphasise the success of Asian education systems, with South Korea, Japan, Singapore and Hong Kong in China rated as the highest performing.

But it shows a strong performance from the UK, which is ranked sixth, behind only Finland in Europe and ahead of countries such as Germany, France and the United States.

There is no doubt folk seem more cheerful, more positive and upbeat. I constantly feel in holiday mode, shorts, sunshine, coffee outside in the lovely cafés. It's definitely drilled into the Australians that it's the best country in the world and how very lucky they are.

But if you lose your job, become ill, kids not performing at school, you know the usual knocks that come along, then it's not quite that perfect and sunny. It's OK if you stay on their happy wagon but don't fall off !

I've been happier here than I ever was in the UK and I think it may have been to do with the weather- I find it hard to be miserable with bright blue skies ( even in mid Winter). People do seem to be more upbeat and positive, that was one of the first things I noticed here. Sometimes we watch dramas from the Uk- recently 'From There to Here' and think how depressing everything seems - same with the Scandinavian dramas too. Just a different take on life I guess, wouldn't do to be all alike, would it?

Same, looking at late next year mate pretty much for the same reasons as yourself.

We have a family wedding (wifes sister) back in the UK in July 2016 so are looking to that as 'the' time.

Quite funny really as we used a wedding here in Australia as 'the' date to move here too.

We LOVE a wedding!

We have a family wedding (wifes sister) back in the UK in July 2016 so are looking to that as 'the' time.

Quite funny really as we used a wedding here in Australia as 'the' date to move here too.

We LOVE a wedding!

That's good , are you still building your house here or is it complete? You have a lot to do before then.i suppose their is no rush really

That's good , are you still building your house here or is it complete? You have a lot to do before then.i suppose their is no rush really

Starting the build in the new year, have already purchased the land and have the plans and builder in place.

Should be in the house by July then it gives us a year to deal with any teething problems etc and enjoy it before we rent it out ready for my pension!

Where are you in Aus? Where you heading back to?

We LOVE a wedding!

Me too - love a family wedding! I've also got one in July 2016 so that will be the latest I'll move back but hoping it'll be bit earlier. Will enjoy Australia till then :wink:

Starting the build in the new year, have already purchased the land and have the plans and builder in place.

Should be in the house by July then it gives us a year to deal with any teething problems etc and enjoy it before we rent it out ready for my pension!

Where are you in Aus? Where you heading back to?

In adelaide. Thinking of Devon way mate Biddeford maybe. But nothing set yet. Where you going?

Guest Guest 47403
Why told you that? heard many time on here that it is far better than the state schools in oz and that is why most people send their kids private in oz.

No they don't you are talking bollox, my kids are in a very good state school as they were in the UK there is nothing in the schooling between the UK and OZ the curriculum may be slightly different the end result is exactly the same.

Guest Guest 47403
Hello everyone,

Just thought I'd give people a quick update about my own experiences/impressions since moving back to the UK (Newcastle upon Tyne). I left Melbourne and returned home to the UK in early 2012 having spent 6 years in Oz, and having gained my Australian citizenship (for which I was very proud and grateful).

I made a very brief return to Oz for a special occasion in late 2012, but other than that I have been UK bound. So, now it is nearly 2015. What has changed? Well, first off, I returned to Newcastle in 2012 for no particular reason - but rather because of a feeling I had...... that I SHOULD, somehow. Can't explain it any more than that. Anyway, the week after I got 'home' I met a local girl, half Italian, absolutely gorgeous. We got married this summer. Happy Days! :-)

I've really enjoyed being back in Newcastle, with family and familiar/long standing friends. I think that connection never went away and maybe drew me back to old Blighty. However, despite knowing Australia's faults I always believed it was a great country and I was very privileged to become a citizen.

All of the pro's and cons that I wrote about a few years ago on here still stand up, but yep, no doubt, Australia (and other countries I'm sure) has a spoiling effect on you. I noticed that a lot of my mates here in Newcastle have changed. Yes, we're all getting older, but they all seem so much more world weary, and downbeat with the pressures of just getting by. Life has always been a bit of a struggle to some extent, but now the UK just seems SO much more cut throat. People (ie: both parents) seem to work themselves to death just to get by, and there is no job security.

Quite a few of the Europeans I know who left Australia since 2010 have now gone back again. Part of me envies them. I know the jobs market has tightened in Oz, but still, I always felt that an air of positivity still prevailed - that everyone I knew did their job and then really enjoyed having a few cold ones after work and talking about sport/plans for weekend breaks/meeting up etc.... That being outdoors was a joy, and you could do it with family and kids and really feel the space around you.

Ok, so now I'm sounding like some sun-dappled Hovis advert and need to snap back to reality.... yep, I know the sausages were no good, the political debate puerile, the supermarkets rubbish, vested interests in control of everything, you couldn't travel anywhere of any great cultural difference in a reasonable amount of time, AND the biscuits just weren't right.....but by God, did I enjoy wearing shorts and T shirts and kicking down the streets of Richmond, Prahran and St Kilda, drinking ice cold beer and feeling 'light' and 'alive'. You never, or very rarely, feel that in the UK. It's a stodgy existence. Of course Britain is very much better at some things, but on balance, which is better? For me, Australia is better.

We've been thinking we may start a family in the next year or two, and I've been thinking seriously, for any kid, which would be the better environment? If the grown up kid feels this way, I'm guessing it may be no competition for any real child. Of course, I'll have to get the missus to agree to any Oz move - which may prove a little tricky....hmmmm

Boy do I miss Australia though. I really do. All that said, remember - this is just my opinion. For some, I'm sure Britain delivers on every level and is right for them and their family.

Peace and happy living - wherever you are!

ps: maybe just because I'm not there now, but Melbourne always seemed a little 'magical'. Britain doesn't have that 'magic' for me any more.

For those very words you will get no compassion in this area of the forum, plenty of snide digs though, good luck.

Hello everyone,

Just thought I'd give people a quick update about my own experiences/impressions since moving back to the UK (Newcastle upon Tyne). I left Melbourne and returned home to the UK in early 2012 having spent 6 years in Oz, and having gained my Australian citizenship (for which I was very proud and grateful).

I made a very brief return to Oz for a special occasion in late 2012, but other than that I have been UK bound. So, now it is nearly 2015. What has changed? Well, first off, I returned to Newcastle in 2012 for no particular reason - but rather because of a feeling I had...... that I SHOULD, somehow. Can't explain it any more than that. Anyway, the week after I got 'home' I met a local girl, half Italian, absolutely gorgeous. We got married this summer. Happy Days! :-)

I've really enjoyed being back in Newcastle, with family and familiar/long standing friends. I think that connection never went away and maybe drew me back to old Blighty. However, despite knowing Australia's faults I always believed it was a great country and I was very privileged to become a citizen.

All of the pro's and cons that I wrote about a few years ago on here still stand up, but yep, no doubt, Australia (and other countries I'm sure) has a spoiling effect on you. I noticed that a lot of my mates here in Newcastle have changed. Yes, we're all getting older, but they all seem so much more world weary, and downbeat with the pressures of just getting by. Life has always been a bit of a struggle to some extent, but now the UK just seems SO much more cut throat. People (ie: both parents) seem to work themselves to death just to get by, and there is no job security.

Quite a few of the Europeans I know who left Australia since 2010 have now gone back again. Part of me envies them. I know the jobs market has tightened in Oz, but still, I always felt that an air of positivity still prevailed - that everyone I knew did their job and then really enjoyed having a few cold ones after work and talking about sport/plans for weekend breaks/meeting up etc.... That being outdoors was a joy, and you could do it with family and kids and really feel the space around you.

Ok, so now I'm sounding like some sun-dappled Hovis advert and need to snap back to reality.... yep, I know the sausages were no good, the political debate puerile, the supermarkets rubbish, vested interests in control of everything, you couldn't travel anywhere of any great cultural difference in a reasonable amount of time, AND the biscuits just weren't right.....but by God, did I enjoy wearing shorts and T shirts and kicking down the streets of Richmond, Prahran and St Kilda, drinking ice cold beer and feeling 'light' and 'alive'. You never, or very rarely, feel that in the UK. It's a stodgy existence. Of course Britain is very much better at some things, but on balance, which is better? For me, Australia is better.

We've been thinking we may start a family in the next year or two, and I've been thinking seriously, for any kid, which would be the better environment? If the grown up kid feels this way, I'm guessing it may be no competition for any real child. Of course, I'll have to get the missus to agree to any Oz move - which may prove a little tricky....hmmmm

Boy do I miss Australia though. I really do. All that said, remember - this is just my opinion. For some, I'm sure Britain delivers on every level and is right for them and their family.

ps: maybe just because I'm not there now, but Melbourne always seemed a little 'magical'. Britain doesn't have that 'magic' for me any more.

As the father of an 8 year old daughter, I'd say that Australia meets her needs right now better than the UK could. Not sure if that's because the climate offers up more opportunities to spend time outside with other kids, or because there is more of an expectation of you as a parent to arrange play-dates and activities for your kids. I'd qualify that by saying that we left the UK when she was 2, so I have no experience of parenting a school-age child back home.

Funnily enough, we live in South Yarra too. Personally I find it a bit snooty, but that's compensated by having Fawkner Park and The Botanical Gardens on our doorstep. We're not beach people, but having two terrific outdoor spaces like these close by means that our daughter can meet up with her friends and run off steam whenever she likes which is a godsend as a parent. If I was to identify just one advantage for the parents of young kids that Australia has, it's the availability of open spaces and safe, well-constructed play areas.

Best of luck with whatever you and your wife decide to do. :smile:

No they don't you are talking bollox, my kids are in a very good state school as they were in the UK there is nothing in the schooling between the UK and OZ the curriculum may be slightly different the end result is exactly the same.

Just what I have heard from so many on here and people I knew in Oz Baz, you must stop being so defensive of oz mate and realize i has its good and bad points...please don't start picking an Aussie accent over there...that's really sad mate.

Guest Guest 47403
Just what I have heard from so many on here and people I knew in Oz Baz, you must stop being so defensive of oz mate and realize i has its good and bad points...please don't start picking an Aussie accent over there...that's really sad mate.

Stop contradicting yourself it's a bit embarrassing to see [emoji6]

Hello everyone,

All of the pro's and cons that I wrote about a few years ago on here still stand up, but yep, no doubt, Australia (and other countries I'm sure) has a spoiling effect on you. I noticed that a lot of my mates here in Newcastle have changed. Yes, we're all gettikng older, but they all seem so much more world weary, and downbeat with the pressures of just getting by. Life has always been a bit of a struggle to some extent, but now the UK just seems SO much more cut throat. People (ie: both parents) seem to work themselves to death just to get by, and there is no job security.

As a perpetual ping pong Pom I can sympathise completely with you. Today I spent my time on Manly beach watching the surfers, swimmers and families all having a great time and felt really privileged to be able to enjoy it. However, having also just seen photos of my grandaughter in her Christmas play in England, I felt sad that she wasn't here to share it too. When we are in the UK we always travel over to Spain and France - so easy and so cheap. This helps compensate when I am missing the Aussie sunshine. I don't believe you can find everything you want in one or the other. If all our family were able to be here with us, I suspect we would be more than happy to call Australia home but this is not possible so our hearts will always be in the UK. That said, we always enjoy our time in the UK. There's good and not so good in both. The key is to remember that as it is so easy sometimes just to focus on the good things you are missing. Hope all turns out well for you.

• 1 month later...

Hi Thinker,

An excellent and insightful reply, and one which gave me much food for thought. I especially agree with your comments re: the Pollyanna-ish, stepford citizen culture which is controlled so tightly by vested interests. For me, I always found it slightly sinister the way the media, clearly in concert with government, presented the the news in a ridiculously biased manner and that dissent was often dismissed as 'un-Australian'. Conversely, in the UK, we question EVERYTHING and nothing escapes a no holds barred debate. Ultimately though, I find it doesn't make that much difference. I feel happier with a more questioning, more transparent culture (UK), but in every western country, including the UK, corporations run the game and the government and I wonder if the illusion of a robust media/democratic system is what they'd like us to think we have. Sorry, bordering on the conspiracy theory there, but in the Western world we have mothers and fathers both working to send kids to nursery and so that we can pay mortgages on houses that increase in value and so secure the loan books of big banks and pay bankers bonuses. As you say, it's all nuts - but until it changes, I might prefer a decent climate and some sunshine!

Agree with Thinkers points above. We have ping-ponged and each time we get rose-tinted spectacles! We're about to move back to the UK again after the recent arrival of our first child. One thing I would say is, if you're thinking about starting a family, you can't put a price on having nearby family support. It has been incredibly hard doing this on our own (I think it also raises the risk of post-natal depression but don't have research to back this up). Last weekend my cousin came to stay for a few days who is great with babies. It made me realise what we have missed out on in terms of support from family. It was great, we had our first meal out sans baby since said baby arrived 8 months ago! So for 'any real child' as you put it, I would say the choice IS simple - it's around extended family. And it's already too hot, can't go outside for long periods with a baby when its this hot, so effectively stuck indoors for the next 3 months.

The air of positivity where I live has definitely gone. We're in a large mining town and about a dozen business have closed in the last few weeks. People are quitting their jobs because of negativity in the workplace even if they don't have a job to go to. People are leaving town and their livelihoods to try and find something more stable, often moving back to their home towns.

If you want further adventure, why not try somewhere new - how about Italy?

As much as I love western Europe,it is that unstable,especially the southern European e.u members,stay well away,anything could happen.

Things are that unstable there,iam now meeting Spanish,Italian and French families,walking their dogs in the parks in Solihull.

Britain is becoming the bloody lifeboat of Europe.....and if this Greek election result pans out....watch out

No find yourself a nice little pocket of the u.k.....plenty of them.....iam sat in my van right now....waiting to visit a 16th century ,grade 2 listed property in Worcestershire