Australia - Share your money saving tips!

rattatoile

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply
M&S will send clothes delivery free (including sale clothes) for most of the year. They only ever stop for a month or two every now and then so keep checking

OH loves M&S stuff, so that's good.. I like the Cheesy Puffs though and they don't do the food range.. Have sent a package of M&S Cheesy Puffs over for my Brother in law in the past.. Most expensive Cheesy Puffs ever TBH.. :wink:

Not sure I would agree that there is no voucher culture over here. From the replies above, I would hazard a guess those replying don't seem to bother with them.

First off, though unpopular, Coles and Woollies are always at it. Spending $150 each week for 3 weeks at woolies will give us a $45 voucher. No biggy for us as it is where we shop anyway. Recently both have been firing off offers. Got OH a 'new' woolies rewards card and they gave $15 off voucher after signing up and often better the established card deals - I guess to try and draw the 'new' person in.

We have just used up $200 worth of coles rewards points that have accumulated over the past couple of years. I know we all pay for it, but why not use it when you can.

There are lots of voucher code sites with x % off shopping/insurance etc. Also cashback sites. Only use http://www.qwibble.com.au/

Just got 15% off travel insurance. This was after comparing others and it was the best and cheapest anyway without discount

There are a few bargain sites. The only one I bother with as it covers it all is https://www.ozbargain.com.au/. This shows the latest vouchers and deals posted by members and lots of comments by people with their success or failures.

Also you can get those group vouchers, www.groupon.com.au etc, cheap meal deals etc. Don't bother myself as the deals seem to have strings attached eg $100 car service and you get slugged for other problems you never had etc

Anyway, the point is, lots of it around if you want to look for it

It's not a question of simply not bothering with it, davlap. My comment about there being no real voucher culture here is true because in the US people are able to make big savings using vouchers a regular feature of every shopping week, they are consistent and bring the price down considerably, and the same is starting to happen in the UK as well. Also, both countries are years ahead when it comes to the internet and supermarkets use this to offer digital vouchers as well. Coles and WW have certain deals but nothing regular like this which can be relied upon. Also, I notice many vouchers are store specific, rather than generic.

The sites which you helpfully link to are good, but they are not the same as the expansive voucher culture in the US/UK, where people are able to bring their shopping bills down sometimes almost to nothing, as recently documented in a UK newspaper. So it's much harder here to find deals, they are usually not as good, and there aren't as many, and this is because Coles WW have been colluding within a duopoly for decades. I'm not even sure ALDI will make any difference when they finally arrive here in SA - there are around 55 Coles stores in SA, and I'll presume the same for WW even though you can't find that info online very easily, which makes 110 of them, while ALDI *might* get 11 stores in the state - hardly enough to challenge the duopoly. What Australia needs is what the US/UK has - much, much more competition in this sector.

I've always found the fresh produce in the supermarkets (Woolworths in particular) to be of very good quality?? Especially compared to UK supermarkets. You do pay through the nose for it in Australia though...

I wonder if this is about which state you live in. There is no question at all that the vegetables I buy here in Coles or Woolworths, in SA, are lower quality than those available in Sainsbury's or Tesco's. Green leafy vegetables are very restricted in range and limp within 24 hours of purchase, and root crop like carrots and parsnips are just a joke - bendy and going black within days. Often the produce is off while still on the shelves - stuff like limp bok choi or bendy celery - right there in the shop! You can only buy one type of fresh green bean here, and leave them for more than 4/5 days in the fridge and they're going in the bin. I experienced nothing like this in the UK. Having said that, fruit here is often very good and the range is excellent. We buy from farmers' markets now, having the produce delivered as well and the service is excellent, and the quality vastly superior. My criticism is of Coles/WW and their terrible logistics, not Australia per se. Excellent stuff is available here, just not in the supermarkets,

The problem with buying food really cheap in supermarkets is ultimately the producer suffers because they are not getting a fair price for the goods they produce. Really cheap food cannot continue indefinitely because farmers will be forced out of business. Buying from farmers markets direct from the farmer cuts out the distributors and the shops meaning you can buy cheap produce and the farmer still gets a fair price.

I don't find the supermarkets too bad here at all. I'd rather not rely on them (I didn't in the UK) but with both adults working full time and kids to get to various clubs and activities on most days of the week we really don't have the time to do anything else. I used to use Abel & Cole in the UK but there isn't really anything quite like it here. To keep costs down I buy things while they are on offer, so I'll get the half price stuff or buy two for $5 type offers. Always do this with bread, which can be really expensive. My local Coles is usually selling either Abotts or Helgas bread for two for $5 or something so I just buy the one that's on offer. I do the same with lots of goods. Meat I often buy from the butchers after I've been in to Coles as they are right outside. Much cheaper and better quality generally. And I can get exactly the number of items I want.

My my main money saving tip though is use the library. We haven't bought a book or DVD in ages - we borrow them from the library instead. Here in Adelaide all the libraries are linked so you can reserve a book from any library and it will be sent to your local one for you to pick up. DVDs tend to not be great unless they are new but the blue-rays we have had have been mostly fine. And we haven't had a pay anything for the privilege. There is also a toy library which has a great selection of toys for younger kids.

I wonder if this is about which state you live in. There is no question at all that the vegetables I buy here in Coles or Woolworths, in SA, are lower quality than those available in Sainsbury's or Tesco's. Green leafy vegetables are very restricted in range and limp within 24 hours of purchase, and root crop like carrots and parsnips are just a joke - bendy and going black within days. Often the produce is off while still on the shelves - stuff like limp bok choi or bendy celery - right there in the shop! You can only buy one type of fresh green bean here, and leave them for more than 4/5 days in the fridge and they're going in the bin. I experienced nothing like this in the UK. Having said that, fruit here is often very good and the range is excellent. We buy from farmers' markets now, having the produce delivered as well and the service is excellent, and the quality vastly superior. My criticism is of Coles/WW and their terrible logistics, not Australia per se. Excellent stuff is available here, just not in the supermarkets,

I also see none of your complaints in ACT; is more expensive to shop at Coles/Woolies rather than the greengrocers but always decent quality. As for your comment on logistics? I would rather only one choice of beans, than a selection from Kenya, or Israel that have been shipped to Romania for sorting and packing before making it's way to the UK distribution centre and eventually the shops -- as per the Tesco/Sainsburys model..

You sound like an Aus hater to me.

There is a solution you know.

I also see none of your complaints in ACT; is more expensive to shop at Coles/Woolies rather than the greengrocers but always decent quality. As for your comment on logistics? I would rather only once choice of beans, than a selection from Kenya, or Israel that have been shipped to Romania for sorting and packing before making it's way to the UK distribution centre and eventually the shops -- as per the Tesco/Sainsburys model..

We talk about the logistics thing you mention a bit, and I've looked at it from all angles. It's good, in principle, that the supermarkets try to protect Australian producers, but if that means very expensive produce, restricted range or low quality then that is putting the interests of Australian producers above those of the general public. A good example is bananas. A few years ago there was a major problem with the Qld banana crop and because imports are not tolerated the price when to the moon and you just saw piles of them left on the shelves because they were so expensive.

We talk about the logistics thing you mention a bit, and I've looked at it from all angles. It's good, in principle, that the supermarkets try to protect Australian producers, but if that means very expensive produce, restricted range or low quality then that is putting the interests of Australian producers above those of the general public. A good example is bananas. A few years ago there was a major problem with the Qld banana crop and because imports are not tolerated the price when to the moon and you just saw piles of them left on the shelves because they were so expensive.

But ultimately the QLD farmers remained in business. Their families still have a livelihood. Undercut them with cheap foreign imports and in the short term the chattering classes will enjoy cheaper prices. Until that filters through to low or negative inflation and lower salaries for everyone..

But ultimately the QLD farmers remained in business. Their families still have a livelihood. Undercut them with cheap foreign imports and in the short term the chattering classes will enjoy cheaper prices. Until that filters through to low or negative inflation and lower salaries for everyone..

I accept your point, and have made the argument in the past. We are talking about protectionism though, which raises its own problems. Back when Yasi was wrecking the crop, as I mention above, bananas in Australia were the most expensive in the world - higher than NYC or even Tokyo. There were stories on the TV at the time of a massive increase in the theft of bananas because people simply couldn't afford to buy them for their families. So the interests of 800 banana producers, who use largely mechanised techniques and employ less people than you think, were put before the interests of 24 million people.

I accept your point, and have made the argument in the past. We are talking about protectionism though, which raises its own problems. Back when Yasi was wrecking the crop, as I mention above, bananas in Australia were the most expensive in the world - higher than NYC or even Tokyo. There were stories on the TV at the time of a massive increase in the theft of bananas because people simply couldn't afford to buy them for their families. So the interests of 800 banana producers, who use largely mechanised techniques and employ less people than you think, were put before the interests of 24 million people.

I don't think you can have an affluent country and still be racing to the bottom on prices. It's not just 800 banana producers: its the truck drivers, the packers, electricians, builders, school teachers and so on in rural Queensland who got protection. Remove their feeder industry and it doesn't look pretty.

I don't think you can have an affluent country and still be racing to the bottom on prices. It's not just 800 banana producers: its the truck drivers, the packers, electricians, builders, school teachers and so on in rural Queensland who got protection. Remove their feeder industry and it doesn't look pretty.

I don't know if banana production is integral to the Qld economy or not, to be honest with you. I can be a critic of laissez-faire, but if an industry needs government subsidy (or other protections) to survive then it is costing the taxpayer to keep it alive, remember, so they are paying for their product twice. On the other hand, cheap third world produce is wrecking our economies - look at the devastating effect all this cheap Chinese junk is having on our manufacturing base. It's a tough call. Going back to my point on logistics though - I was really questioning how Coles cannot bring fresh carrots to my local store when they are grown in this very state, when Sainsbury's can get carrots from Israel to the UK stores and still be fresh. I'm just making another criticism of Coles here.

I would make the point again though that I don't see why I should have to pay so much for bananas just to keep 6000 people in work. It is a tiny industry in terms of human employment, and we could easily import a small proportion of bananas from the Philippines and make them much more affordable for all of us. In fact, our membership of the WTO makes our import ban illegal, and the Philippines have raised this point on more than one occasion.

Back to the original post, markets for fruit and veg are great, apples for instance are half Coles prices although will have some imperfections which for me is fine, tastes the same!

Public transport is absolutely great in Brisbane and very cheap especially with a Go card.

Plenty of walks, beach time etc all for free.

Housing, look away from new housing as these DO sell for a premium. Used houses represent better value, we looked at an appartment, expensive part of town, new would be 80-90m2 where an appartment being 15 years old was 120m2 for slightly less money and great river views etc. this also applies for rentals.

Bring clothes with you. Expensive here and not great quality. Good quality is expensive and tend to be top end brands ie Merril shoes about twice UK prices.

Bring medication with you if needed.

Eating out is not too expensive and represents good value compared to London, little more money but portions are usually much bigger!

Buy a diesel car, fuel about the same price as unleaded but my golf is running between 5-6 l/100k's. Compact cars can be good value as many Australians do not feel they are safe.

Make use of Gumtree, great site and no issue with 2nd hand furniture (beds must be new though)

S

Your mention of Gumtree reminded me of Freecycle, which we have used here with great success, but only for getting rid of stuff. I would get in the habit of looking overseas for things like books, DVDs, clothes and even electronics. Australia is so expensive for most of these items that even when you factor in postage costs you still get a better deal, plus the internet naturally offers practically an infinite range. As I said before, this is really about how protected Australian retail was before the internet brought transparency to just how much Aussie retailers were ripping off their customers. This is why they are fighting so hard to bring down the import tax allowance, and why billionaires like Gerry Harvey constantly lobby government to end the various tax exemptions offered to online sellers.

And what about Australians who don't have that option? Why should simple bananas be a luxury product for Australians just because of one lobby group?

$3kg is a luxury item? Apart from that rather buy local

than imported no matter what the price

$3kg is a luxury item? Apart from that rather buy local

than imported no matter what the price

They were $17 per kilo during the crisis, and even now $3 per kilo is much more expensive than the price per kilo in the UK, US, and even notoriously expensive Japan, where they are less than $2 per kilo. There is no debate here - Australian bananas are a luxury item compared with other countries and that is because of market manipulation and lobby groups.

They were $17 per kilo during the crisis, and even now $3 per kilo is much more expensive than the price per kilo in the UK, US, and even notoriously expensive Japan, where they are less than $2 per kilo. There is no debate here - Australian bananas are a luxury item compared with other countries and that is because of market manipulation and lobby groups.

It was $17kg in supercraps but $5 here at the market. We have paid $1kg here at the farmers

market they aren't a luxury item IMHO. It helps that the ACT has approx 4.5 times the retail per head compared to anywhere else in the country, results in a lot more competition.

Prices are high in Australia because people put up with it and don't speak out enough. There was a bit of press cvoverage when they were up at $17/kilo but since then every tiny thing rockets the prices and nothing gets mentioned. Us sheep just happily keep buying them whatever the price. I shop every week - sometimes more - and this week bananas in the supermarket were almost $5/kg, last week they were down around $3, the week before up around $4... I understand supply and demand but when some places can sell them for $1/$1.50 a kilo at the same time (small greengrocers etc) then someone somewhere is making a lot of money out of us!

I don't think Australian shopkeepers here try any harder than they have to either: yesterday I was calling around to get a new controller for our ceiling fan. I called two large shops and asked them if they could get me one, both said it wasn't in stock and they couldn't get one through their suppliers. So I went online, ordered one myself. Now I'd have been happy to pay a little more to support local businesses, so why couldn't the retailers have said "yes we can order one in for you", gone online themselves and done that! Either lazy or no imagination.

You know Fisher1 that is so true. We find that most toiletries are almost 110% more expensive here compared to back in the UK. Therefore each time we go home, we do a major shop or get a nice relie to send us out a package of some particularly expensive cosmetics and toiletries which the Mrs likes to use. You'll find that depsite factoring in postage from the UK, you still save a bomb. I'd also advise that save clothes shopping trips for when you go overseas (to the Uk or US) or if you're going to be here for a few years, wait till main Sale periods like New Years and Easter- where you can get some really good bargains (again if you're shopping at store warehouses).

Archived