You are offered a one way ticket from OZ to UK on one condition. You can't come back.

MARYROSE02

Would you take it, and why? Remember, no changing your mind once you get there, no second thoughts, and statistically, half of those who do go back to UK intending to stay, end up wanting to come back to OZ!

I'm being at least semi-serious. I love England and love keeping up with the EPL, the news, the latest Pommie shows, music, etc, BUT, no way do I want to go back permanently.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow, big call. I think this would be best answered by new migrants maybe. For me definitely not and if it was a given rule I don't think I would have even have ever contemplated emigrating in the first place.

What about you Mary Rose? You say you'd never return to live permanently but would you have taken that one way ticket all those years ago knowing you couldn't go back?

Wow, big call. I think this would be best answered by new migrants maybe. For me definitely not and if it was a given rule I don't think I would have even have ever contemplated emigrating in the first place.

What about you Mary Rose? You say you'd never return to live permanently but would you have taken that one way ticket all those years ago knowing you couldn't go back?

It's funny but even when I was at my nadir, barely coping with work, commuting, studying at uni, stressed to the nth degree, I never actually considered 'escaping', although I made frequent trips back to see my parents, and when I was made redundant, went back for a holiday, which lasted for twelve years. To be fair, I always intended to return to Sydney and even HMRC accepted my status as 'domiciled' in Australia.

That was a gradual process, too. I got a part time job with Royal Mail on a two-year contract, only a month after I arrived back in Southampton, then, at Xmas they told me I had accumulated seven days leave to be taken before the end of winter, and I added a few days unpaid leave, and went back to Sydney to sort out my flat for renting. (I'd gone to England with a return ticket, so I got a one way ticket from Sydney to London.) Then, in October, 1997, my mother had an accident, and died a few weeks later (funny how I can be so matter of fact about her 'accident' now - she was knocked over by a ****ing dog in our driveway, broke her hip, then had heart attack/stroke in hospital. For a year or two, I would fly off into a rage every time I encountered someone walking a dog off the lead, if it scampered towards me, particularly if the owner trilled 'don't worry, he won't hurt you.' I'm embarrassed now thinking how I sometimes really 'lost' it - 'My ****ing mother was ****ing killed by a ****ing out of control dog' especially if it was a middle aged, middle class woman! I digress. I decided to stay with my Dad, and he lived on for another eight years, by which time I was fully settled into UK, had not even been back to OZ for six years, but I still came back!

Perhaps it would have been better for my general health, going back to my parents, because if ever there was a person singlularly unequipped to live away from home, it was me!

Now, I'm just here, I mean, I 'LIVE' here. I don't see Sydney as somewhere where I am only in some kind of transit lounge. You know, I'll die here, be buried, or rather cremated here. It's a mindset. Some of us are like that. Some of us have still got that mindset where, for example, 'I am not here for the long term. I'm going back to England at some point. I've no intention of staying here for the rest of my life.' And there's nothing wrong with that attitude, as long as you are happy living a 'at home abroad, and abroad at home' ex-pat lifestyle, but you have to lose that attitude if you want to 'become' an Aussie!

Would you take it, and why? Remember, no changing your mind once you get there, no second thoughts, and statistically, half of those who do go back to UK intending to stay, end up wanting to come back to OZ!

I'm being at least semi-serious. I love England and love keeping up with the EPL, the news, the latest Pommie shows, music, etc, BUT, no way do I want to go back permanently.

This is hilarious Mary Rose, I read the question wrong and thought it was a one way from UK to Oz so couldn't return to UK!:wacko:

Might change my mind now. I think I could cope quite easily not returning to Oz to live permanently but would be unhappy not to return for a holiday as still have family here. Turn it the other way round then there is no way I would have come in the first place.

It's funny but even when I was at my nadir, barely coping with work, commuting, studying at uni, stressed to the nth degree, I never actually considered 'escaping', although I made frequent trips back to see my parents, and when I was made redundant, went back for a holiday, which lasted for twelve years. To be fair, I always intended to return to Sydney and even HMRC accepted my status as 'domiciled' in Australia.

That was a gradual process, too. I got a part time job with Royal Mail on a two-year contract, only a month after I arrived back in Southampton, then, at Xmas they told me I had accumulated seven days leave to be taken before the end of winter, and I added a few days unpaid leave, and went back to Sydney to sort out my flat for renting. (I'd gone to England with a return ticket, so I got a one way ticket from Sydney to London.) Then, in October, 1997, my mother had an accident, and died a few weeks later (funny how I can be so matter of fact about her 'accident' now - she was knocked over by a ****ing dog in our driveway, broke her hip, then had heart attack/stroke in hospital. For a year or two, I would fly off into a rage every time I encountered someone walking a dog off the lead, if it scampered towards me, particularly if the owner trilled 'don't worry, he won't hurt you.' I'm embarrassed now thinking how I sometimes really 'lost' it - 'My ****ing mother was ****ing killed by a ****ing out of control dog' especially if it was a middle aged, middle class woman! I digress. I decided to stay with my Dad, and he lived on for another eight years, by which time I was fully settled into UK, had not even been back to OZ for six years, but I still came back!

Perhaps it would have been better for my general health, going back to my parents, because if ever there was a person singlularly unequipped to live away from home, it was me!

Now, I'm just here, I mean, I 'LIVE' here. I don't see Sydney as somewhere where I am only in some kind of transit lounge. You know, I'll die here, be buried, or rather cremated here. It's a mindset. Some of us are like that. Some of us have still got that mindset where, for example, 'I am not here for the long term. I'm going back to England at some point. I've no intention of staying here for the rest of my life.' And there's nothing wrong with that attitude, as long as you are happy living a 'at home abroad, and abroad at home' ex-pat lifestyle, but you have to lose that attitude if you want to 'become' an Aussie!

Thats a horrible way to lose your Mother MR and your anger is understandable.

I wouldn't take the ticket now, but in a few years I probably would.

I love Australia and I'm happy to live here, for now. I don't think I'll end my days here though, unless I die suddenly! :)

I'm used to not seeing my Daughter and Granddaughters for months at a time as they live away, but I do miss my parents and feel guilty for leaving when they were elderly. I have a weird inner conflict when I get on the 'plane to come back here, sad to be leaving 'home' but looking forward to getting back 'home'..... As long as I get back to my family regularly I can cope.

There, I've said it. You described me very well!

I am sick of UK after three weeks so one way would be no good for me. After all I have lived in Aus for more years than I have lived in the other countries I lived in so this is home and I recognised many years ago that I was now Australian. I follow Australians in sport etc and my oh also did that too. Only time he followed anyone other than Aus was when Scotland was playing or a Scot playing as he was a Scot/Aus lol

[/b]

Thats a horrible way to lose your Mother MR and your anger is understandable.

I wouldn't take the ticket now, but in a few years I probably would.

I love Australia and I'm happy to live here, for now. I don't think I'll end my days here though, unless I die suddenly! :)

I'm used to not seeing my Daughter and Granddaughters for months at a time as they live away, but I do miss my parents and feel guilty for leaving when they were elderly. I have a weird inner conflict when I get on the 'plane to come back here, sad to be leaving 'home' but looking forward to getting back 'home'..... As long as I get back to my family regularly I can cope.

There, I've said it. You described me very well!

So costly though Lindor? The curse of having family in 2 places...it must be really tough. I guess eventually the balance tips in favour of one place.

Where do I sign...?

This is hilarious Mary Rose, I read the question wrong and thought it was a one way from UK to Oz so couldn't return to UK!:wacko:

Might change my mind now. I think I could cope quite easily not returning to Oz to live permanently but would be unhappy not to return for a holiday as still have family here. Turn it the other way round then there is no way I would have come in the first place.

I was worried, thought that I'd posed the question the wrong way around (for me), something I'm more than capable of doing!

Where do I sign...?

I'm signing up too however i'd need three tickets. Plus a house, job etc.sorted. Getting the tickets is the easy part really it's all the other things needed to move.

He wouldn't thank you for it Parley, his posts tell us he is actually quite happy here right now. Good for him, I like to see posters being honest and not feeling they HAVE to back all things Aussie in case they're seen as 'uncommitted'

Knowing Harpo well, I'm sure that he wouldn't mind if I confirm what you've just written HH. In fact, he has posted to that effect in the past. But, like a large number of people, he doesn't buy into the whole 'Australia - it's all good' mindset. Like myself, he takes the p*ss out of the place, particularly the aspects of life here that aren't that great. I personally think it's a good thing to have an active critical filter to screen out the sales pitch, the mediocrity, the bullsh*t that you might be exposed to anywhere in the world. The alternative seems to be to just passively wave everything through to the keeper and say "Oh well, it's all good." People might see that as being an 'Oz-hater,' but I'd argue that it's just a case of subjecting Australia to critical scrutiny, and I don't think there's any harm in that.

So costly though Lindor? The curse of having family in 2 places...it must be really tough. I guess eventually the balance tips in favour of one place.

It is HH but I can get a return flight from the UK for under £900. If I couldn't get back regularly I wouldn't settle.

Are you paying?, if you are then I'll have one of those suites that Emirates do, with unlimited champagne and a refreshing stop-over in the Dubai Hilton?

Archived