Parents 143 Contributory Visa - Info Please

hogg2007

Hi, we have recently moved to Qld and in a few years my parents would like to make the move also. (I have one sister living in NZ and a brother who will stay in the UK).

My parents are just worrying about their pensions etc in the UK. Can they still claim them? (They are very much working class, my dad was a miner and is of the mind that he's worked all his life and doesn't want to walk away with nothing!!) :-)

Also what happens with the state pension that they also get in the UK? Would they get something similar in Oz instead?

It's just a lot of money for them to spend (a large chunk of the proceeds of their house sale) and they don't want to be worse off financially, even if they will be better off by being near their grandkids!

Any info you could give would be a help!

Many thanks, Anita

Well at the moment they do not appear to pass the balance of family test. Two out of three of their children need to be permanently resident in Australia. So another of y our siblings needs to join you as PR.

as far as pensions go they will still get the state pension from the UK but it will be frozen at the rate it was at when they left the UK. They would need to be resident in Australia for a number of years before they get the aged pension from Aus.

their private pensions will still be paid out when they reach the right age, but obviously exchange rates may have an effect on value in Aus $.

they can visit you though and the price of a parent visa will pay for a lot of flights!

Hi, we have recently moved to Qld and in a few years my parents would like to make the move also. (I have one sister living in NZ and a brother who will stay in the UK).

My parents are just worrying about their pensions etc in the UK. Can they still claim them? (They are very much working class, my dad was a miner and is of the mind that he's worked all his life and doesn't want to walk away with nothing!!) :-)

Also what happens with the state pension that they also get in the UK? Would they get something similar in Oz instead?

It's just a lot of money for them to spend (a large chunk of the proceeds of their house sale) and they don't want to be worse off financially, even if they will be better off by being near their grandkids!

Any info you could give would be a help!

Many thanks, Anita

The questions on pensions are moot as they won't qualify for the contributory parent visa.

The questions on pensions are moot as they won't qualify for the contributory parent visa.

Even if they only have one child left in the UK and one in NZ?

I think DIBP only recognise two locations - onshore and offshore. To pass the balance of family test, you must have as many or more close relatives onshore as you have offshore. Offshore is all treated as the same place, even if the offshore family members are scattered around the globe.

Your olds' state pension will be frozen at the rate on the day they move - no cost of living increases. They won't be entitled to any Aus welfare payments for years - 10 yrs before they could access the Age Benefit. They will have to pay for their medical expenses, prescriptions etc. Unless they are pretty well heeled they are definitely going to be financially worse off.