Where to go

Guest51810

How scary out of 10 is the bridge climb? I really want to do it but I'm not the fittest and I'm scared of heights lol still want to do it though!

The most vertiginous part is actually the lowest section immediately as you leave, under the road. It's a narrow catwalk, and the floor is see-through mesh. However, it's got railings, and you're strapped in the whole way on a yachting-type harness. It's ultra-safe. The high parts are actually quite strange. The arches are very wide, and the edge is quite a distance from where you are (still on that narrow path with railings). You can't see immediately over it. It feels remote from you. I'd say you'd feel fine.

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If we could have we would have stayed for a weekend (Think thats enough to be honest especially if you hire a bike) as it would have been beautiful to watch the sun go down. There is a hotel but there are other accommodation such as little apartments. (Think the hotel is expensive) there is a central place which has a mini mark and restaurants and take away but it is easy to bring food over from mainland beforehand to keep costs down. I am convinced the quokka smiles its like a mini kangaroo kinda.

Maybe I could get a group of people to go and get a apartment for the weekend. I'm think it definitely smiles lol there's a few photos that look like that. So cute!

• 3 weeks later...

And New Zealand too whilst your there...

i lived in Oz for 2 years. I wasn't into the backpacker scene but did do a camper trip Sydney to nimbin which was so much fun and lovely.

other memorable trips were Great Ocean Rd,Fraser Island, Tassie weekend trip! 6 weeks working in the 'outback'.......didn't go to to Alice springs which I regretted

most of all,I made lovely Sydney friends

and went on a lot of weekend trips to Sydney sites

Enjoy xx

I think you're better off starting in Sydney too. Lots to do and see. You'll probably find work easier to find too. Don't miss going to the Blue Mountains while you're there too. We stayed in the Blue Mountains Katoomba YHA while visiting there and that was a lovely hostel.

Don't miss Brisbane though. I loved it there.

Also would recommend visiting the Whitsunday Islands.

How scary out of 10 is the bridge climb? I really want to do it but I'm not the fittest and I'm scared of heights lol still want to do it though!

I may be alone on this, but I found the bridge climb a complete rip off. Yes, the views are good and it is well run but there are many many other ways I would rather spend $330. Heck you could have a weekend in Hobart or Byron, with flights from Sydney, for that kind of money. Just my opinion of course :)

Sorry guys I didn't get the notification saying you had posted.

Anna - definitely going to magnetic island. It looks great, I was looking at the YHA there. Haven't looked into Byron bay but it's mentioned a lot so no doubt I'll go.

Mogs - yep definitely want to visit New Zealand while I'm there. Maybe for a month before I go home. Fraser Island and tassie are def on the list! Really want to visit tassie. I wasn't that keen on visiting Alice but the YHA managed to make it look good yesterday!

Sarah - not sure if I'll start in Sydney. I thought about doing one of those package groups if I do. They work out to be around £500 but that includes your hostel and quite a few of activities etc. The only plus of that is I'll meet loads of people in the first week. I'll definitely not be leaving without visiting the Whitsunday Islands :) I've got a list of the most obvious ones but was looking for one or two more unusual ones so I've been trying to find one. God a year is not going to be enough!!

Canadianaussie - yeah it's quite expensive. I just wanted to do a few things that were unusual and wouldn't be able to do back home! I'm not sure I could cope with the height though lol

I'd actually recommend the Sydney Tower Eye. The views are nearly as good and its a fraction of the price.

Agree with this comment. I booked online and saved about $10 think it was about $18. Also if you go just before sunset is due you can see the views both in day light and when its all dark which is pretty cool. I originally thought about the Bridge climb but after seeing the price decided against it.

In regards of money maybe have two weeks of finding your feet and doing some tourist stuff then work for a couple of months then have a month off and pick work up again as and when you need it :)

• 3 weeks later...

Right so far I have -

Sydney

Melbourne

Perth and I'd also love to go up north WA. I want to see the red dog statue lol I know probably nobody wants to go all the way there just to see that but ever since the film I have

Most of Queensland like Brisbane, cairns (to see our queen :tongue:), airlie beach, magnetic island, maybe the gold and Sunshine Coast?

Definitely Tasmania!

I'm not sure where else but is all that achievable in a year? I still haven't quite got my head around the distances!

• 4 weeks later...

I know you like wildlife, and several of these are fantastic for wildlife lovers. Not all are on the main tourist list.

Kakadu National park, east of Darwin. Google it, the size and statistics are mind blowing, as is the wildlife.

Penguin Island south of Perth. Sealions, dolphins, pelicans etc.

Bunbury - stand in the water with dolphins swimming around you. You can swim with them too but it's quite expensive to do that.

Kalbari National Park.

Coral Bay and Ningaloo ( North of Monkey Mia). Amazing snorkelling. Less touristy than Great barrier reef because it's so remote, and much closer to the coast.

Pinnacles desert, 2 hrs ish north of Perth.

Karijini Gorge

Parliament house in perth. Free tours round. Interesting talk and history.

Hey Stacey,

Iv been so busy for weeks with working and having in laws staying (or me visiting family) that I have lost track of where you are up to... What are your plans at the mo? Did I see a post saying you are heading over Aug/Sept? We may share a flight? I am currently eyeing up prices of flights.

Hey Stacey,

Iv been so busy for weeks with working and having in laws staying (or me visiting family) that I have lost track of where you are up to... What are your plans at the mo? Did I see a post saying you are heading over Aug/Sept? We may share a flight? I am currently eyeing up prices of flights.

You haven't missed much lol I'm currently trying to get a full time job here so I can get over there in the first place! If I don't get one asap then I'll be screwed. Still no solid plans but I'm most likely going to perth first but maybe Melbourne. Hopefully decide after new year. I've been checking out flights too. Going out in august/September so that's why I said I might end up on the same plane and annoying you lol

I'd pay you to get the same plane and sit with my children hahaha!!!

Are you looking at one way flights? Im getting around £500pp at the moment to Brisbane and around £435 per person to Perth. We are waiting to see where the job offers come from. Fiona Stanley are doing reference checks at the moment. I would still prefer QLD though due to the cost of living if I had a choice. It's coming round so quickly.

There would be a job at my hospital if you wanted some work but the problem is finding somewhere to stay! Lots of student accommodation. Part of my role is sourcing employee's as we are understaffed! :-) I have just got a friend of mine a job offer!