Where to go

Guest51810

I'd pay you to get the same plane and sit with my children hahaha!!!

Are you looking at one way flights? Im getting around £500pp at the moment to Brisbane and around £435 per person to Perth. We are waiting to see where the job offers come from. Fiona Stanley are doing reference checks at the moment. I would still prefer QLD though due to the cost of living if I had a choice. It's coming round so quickly.

There would be a job at my hospital if you wanted some work but the problem is finding somewhere to stay! Lots of student accommodation. Part of my role is sourcing employee's as we are understaffed! :-) I have just got a friend of mine a job offer!

You could pay me to be your plane au pair lol. I'm sure they will be fine once there's a DVD on. I haven't a clue wether to book a return or one way. I was told a return with the flexi dates should cost me around £900. I'll decide next year. Best of luck with your references! You'll be out there before you know it. Would I need experience for that job? I'm trying to get into care at the moment but it's so hard without a driving licence or experience. There's some live in care jobs but you constantly live with them other than a 2 hour break a day and I just think maybe that would be a bit much for a newbie

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd pay you to get the same plane and sit with my children hahaha!!!

Are you looking at one way flights? Im getting around £500pp at the moment to Brisbane and around £435 per person to Perth. We are waiting to see where the job offers come from. Fiona Stanley are doing reference checks at the moment. I would still prefer QLD though due to the cost of living if I had a choice. It's coming round so quickly.

There would be a job at my hospital if you wanted some work but the problem is finding somewhere to stay! Lots of student accommodation. Part of my role is sourcing employee's as we are understaffed! :-) I have just got a friend of mine a job offer!

@Jac, very OT but I used to work at FSH and it is the most amazing place. I didn't work in a clinical role but the facilities are out of the world and attention to detail in the design for wellness blew my mind.

It is in a nice area and there are plenty of good suburbs around that area and because you are not right on the coast it isn't quite so expensive. Trains from Murdoch to Perth CBD take about 15 mins and you are about a similar distant drive from Fremantle. My son went to a fantastic school in Fremantle - private but only about $4000 a year and that included excursions and things like that and no uniform. Harder when you have more than one though but there are plenty of good state schools too. @ali lives nearby and I am sure she could advise.

If you do get an offer feel free to PM me with any questions, we lived in that area for 5 years so I know it pretty well - there are some suburbs you probably would want to avoid although there is no way really bad.

@Skani is Tasmania a good place to visit for summer?

Oh yes...it's the busiest tourist season. You won't be boiled alive like so much of the mainland at that time of year. The only downside is that, because it is the main tourist season here, accommodation can be difficult to find. Christmas until the end of January is the busiest.

Oh yes...it's the busiest tourist season. You won't be boiled alive like so much of the mainland at that time of year. The only downside is that, because it is the main tourist season here, accommodation can be difficult to find. Christmas until the end of January is the busiest.

I don't know what to do.. I want to spend Christmas and new year somewhere special and I know the most obvious answer would be Sydney just to say I spent new year there but I don't like massive crowds and I don't want to be boiled alive. If I thought I could cope with the heat then I'd give it a go but I'm not sure if I can. Really need to get a plan sorted out soon

If you are going to celebrate New Year's Eve anywhere in Aust it has to be the harbour in Sydney. It is an experience you don't want to miss.

You could stay in Wollongong over Christmas/New Year and catch the train up for New Years Eve. It's only about an hour on the train and accommodation would be much easier to get. There is lots to do and see in the Illawarra (Wollongong and surrounding area) as well.

If you are going to celebrate New Year's Eve anywhere in Aust it has to be the harbour in Sydney. It is an experience you don't want to miss.

You could stay in Wollongong over Christmas/New Year and catch the train up for New Years Eve. It's only about an hour on the train and accommodation would be much easier to get. There is lots to do and see in the Illawarra (Wollongong and surrounding area) as well.

Does Sydney get very very warm? I'll bring a fan with me lol. I need to go to Wollongong just for the name, it's funny

I used to be fine with the heat when I was younger, it's just since I've been older I don't cope with it as well. I remember going around in Turkey in what just of been 40oc because it was in august. I was fine, used to wear jeans at night lol

A bugga innit, being old... Last year on hols at age 72 and 42 C...:tongue:

Cheers, Bobj.

I don't know what to do.. I want to spend Christmas and new year somewhere special and I know the most obvious answer would be Sydney just to say I spent new year there but I don't like massive crowds and I don't want to be boiled alive. If I thought I could cope with the heat then I'd give it a go but I'm not sure if I can. Really need to get a plan sorted out soon

Sydney's average maximum temp. in December - January is 25 - 26 deg. So you'll be fine. Especially if you stay near the coast and have sea breezes. It would be worth putting up with a few crowds just for the experience of being there over Christmas/New Year. Just try to avoid all those drunken Pommy backpackers at Bondi Beach! :wink:

I guess I was just worried it would be 40oc or something. Even 30 should be fine if I'm careful with the hat, sun lotion and drink water. I'm not too bothered about spending Xmas there but I'd like to say I spent new year there because I always watched the fireworks on tv when I was little. Christmas will be weird for me, I'm not sure what I'll do. Hopefully have a group of friends!

Guest littlesarah
Yeah I think I'll do that. I just worry I won't find work at all lol

If all else fails, I could always use a babysitter!

As for Sydney, I love it! It's shiny and new and sparkles in the sunlight!! Though I couldn't live there, I have to admit (but I'm just not a city girl).

A popular trip is up the M1 from Sydney to as far North as you'd care to go. You can do that on a bus as an organised thing (with or without surfing lessons), or on your own, or by greyhound type bus.

We went to the Red Centre in April, which isn't the most popular time, but the locals we met (on a camping trip from Alice) reckon that it's the best time of year (not too hot or too cold). I don't know if that's true, but it was perfect weather and we had a fab time driving a campervan from Alice to Uluru!

Personally, I'm a fan of the trip list - not so much because I think you need one, but mostly because it's so good to get excited about the whole thing! I take it to the next level, with a guidebook full of annotations and post-it notes!! But I love, love, love to travel, to the extent that I make notes about even a trip to see our families in Britain (makes a really nice memento, though)! And I am a bit of a nerd/oddity ;-)

You can think about how you want to travel - if you really want to get somewhere that doesn't have much you'd like to see on the way, you could fly. Of course, flying cuts out the pleasure of the journey to some extent, but if you get a good deal on flights it can offer a quick way to travel, and you can still have a road trip (or train trip, for that matter) for other bits of your journey. In my experience, half the fun is in the experience itself, and I have to admit I'm very excited for you! Oh to be young and setting off on an adventure...

I'm a bit scared of babies lol if you had a toddler then I'd say yep no bother!

It does look beautiful and exciting! It's a must to visit so I may as well go the whole hog and spend new year there. Your welcome to make me a travel plan if you enjoy doing that kind of thing lol.

I'm finding it really hard to get excited at the moment about it, just because I'm so stressed about paying for it all. Things haven't went the way I planned but hopefully my luck will improve within the next few weeks.

Sounds like you had a great trip! I can't drive so I'm either going to have to use the greyhound or if I meet a group of people maybe they will be drivers and I can hitch a lift with them. I'll be keeping an eye out on cheap flights too. Would love to pop over to New Zealand for a few weeks if I could afford it. Will have to see how it goes