What does it take to make a REALLY successful British migrant in Australia?

Harpodom

:biglaugh:Yep, that's precisely the sort of mediocrity I was referring to:

What? Successful capitalism in action? Hordes of people, the same across the Western World, spending their weekends, shopping, buying homes, driving their cars, planning their holidays, all enjoying the benefits of living in a democracy?

Oh, sorry, I did not realize you were referring to the handful of malcontents. Add up the total of all the demonstrators across the country and they would still be outnumbered by the crowd at just one AFL game played over the weekend.

• Replies 243
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Some people are willing to give their time for the rest of us by going to these rallies, yes you will get all sorts there but that is what society is like. My daughter gave up her Sunday afternoon to go as she believes in education and health for all of us. I did not go but I am in awe of those who do.

True, but most Australians work and pay their taxes, thus giving their support to pay for the likes of education and health. Personally, I find it grossly offensive to see people wearing T shirts emblazoned with 'F*** Tony Abbott.' Still, we have to respect everybody's right to free speech and freedom of assembly, unless you hate the Liberals of course. Then you have carte blanche to disrupt violently any attempt by a Liberal MP to speak at a university, or disrupt an edition of 'Q and A' to protest against spending cuts in education. Why would I want to pay more taxes to support them?

Agreed, but when they reach teenage years I'm not so sure.

Why's that Endless? My two seem to have had fantastic teen years here. I found that they don't seem so pressured to get on the booze as much as their cousins still in the UK. There are a lot more things to do than just think about when you can start going down the pub. They carried on going down the beach, seeing friends there, surfing, water skiing etc. they have jobs too so that helps.

Well, in June this year I was taken aside by my so called teamlead and told to not "work so hard as I was making everybody else look bad"... I work in IT at a national bank.... My husband has been told the same thing. He works in IT at a University. So yes Aussies ARE different when it comes to careers in IT. They're not hungry. Not willing to do the hours and a job is a job for life whether you perform or not. Needless to say we're looking to go back to London in 2015....

Not willing or learned there's better things in life than spending extra time at work, trying to make yourself look good?

I understood exactly what you meant with the celebrating mediocrity comment flag.

The mainstream media and politicians positively revel in propagating the crass boorish anti culture of bogan Australia: meat pies, thongs, V8's, FIT IN OR FK OFF, FK OFF WE'RE FULL, LOVE IT OR LEAVE, all that.

Tony Abottt taps into it indirectly with his Team Australia banalfest, Brandis appeals to the lowest common denominator with his infamous 'people have a right to be bigots' gaffe, Palmer calls the Chinese 'mongrels'.

There is such a mediocre level of talent in politics and in commercial TV (have you EVER tried watching 'Kochy' on Sunrise or whatever?), is it any wonder that mediocrity permeates the culture so deeply here?

That's not to say there aren't Australians who abhor that mediocrity: many are repulsed by the crassness, mortified even. You don't have to 'FIT IN OR FK OFF', you just need to find intelligent, rational people who aren't afraid to criticise their own country and also don't immediately resort to the 'well if you don't love it, leave' mantra if you criticise govt policy or whatever.

On PIO there are LOADS of Aussies who go mental if you so much as slag off an aspect of govt policy EVEN if they fervently agree with your political standpoint!! There is definitely an issue IMO with *some* Australians and critical thinking: their inbred jingoism gets in the way. Pretty mediocre really

I thought you were mellowing and settling in about 6 months ago Harpo. You seem to have gone all anti again.:wink: What is the election that threw you mate?

Why's that Endless? My two seem to have had fantastic teen years here. I found that they don't seem so pressured to get on the booze as much as their cousins still in the UK. There are a lot more things to do than just think about when you can start going down the pub. They carried on going down the beach, seeing friends there, surfing, water skiing etc. they have jobs too so that helps.
is that all kids do in the uk.. Just go down the pub..??

is that all kids do in the uk.. Just go down the pub..??

Well I grew up there and was drinking at 16. Just seems the only thing to do to meet up with mates. Went along with playing football at weekends, pub straight after. Played for a couple of teams and one was run from the miners welfare and the other from a pub. My kids have cousins of the same age, 2 boys and 2 girls and they started drinking earlier and seem to post a lot of pictures on facebook where the pub and drinking seems to figure in their life pretty highly. The youngest boy cousin 17, has been drinking for a couple of years now and when my wife was talking to his Mum (her Sister) she was amazed that she buys him booze to take with him to parties and then complains that he's drinking too much.

My kids were a bit surprised that he was openly going in the local when we were over there and drinking. We spent more time in the pub, watching football and having a couple of drinks, with our kids when we were in the UK on holiday. We never do that here but it's just the way it is in the UK. It was football season, the pubs all have the games on, people go and watch. Nice atmosphere, nothing against it really, just the kids seem to drink a lot earlier and a lot more. We did come from the North though, near Stockport, so it might be because it's grim.:wink:

Well I grew up there and was drinking at 16. Just seems the only thing to do to meet up with mates. Went along with playing football at weekends, pub straight after. Played for a couple of teams and one was run from the miners welfare and the other from a pub. My kids have cousins of the same age, 2 boys and 2 girls and they started drinking earlier and seem to post a lot of pictures on facebook where the pub and drinking seems to figure in their life pretty highly. The youngest boy cousin 17, has been drinking for a couple of years now and when my wife was talking to his Mum (her Sister) she was amazed that she buys him booze to take with him to parties and then complains that he's drinking too much.

My kids were a bit surprised that he was openly going in the local when we were over there and drinking. We spent more time in the pub, watching football and having a couple of drinks, with our kids when we were in the UK on holiday. We never do that here but it's just the way it is in the UK. It was football season, the pubs all have the games on, people go and watch. Nice atmosphere, nothing against it really, just the kids seem to drink a lot earlier and a lot more. We did come from the North though, near Stockport, so it might be because it's grim.:wink:

Good to see you generalise an entire country on your old drinking habits. You chose that life style, you chose to go to the pub all the time..

No might about it..!!

Just the usual anti-Aussie BS.

Is HSC easier for Aussie kids than 'A' Levels for Pommie kids? Do Aussie kids celebrate any more or less when they get their results? ?Is it any easier to get into Aussie universities than Pommie universities? Is it any easier to get good jobs for graduates in Australia (often with the same multinational companies who operate in the UK, USA, and regularly transfer/promote their key staff around the world.

Do AFL/NRL/RU/cricket, etc, players have less of a competitive edge than their Pommie counterparts. Do they care less about winning Grand Finals/Premierships/International games against the Poms?

Are Aussies any different to Pommies when it comes to careers, buying homes, travelling overseas, pushing their kids into the best schools?

MARYROSE02 are you Australian or a "pommie"?

You need time.

Time to build a life, a career, confidence in your surroundings. I got married and had kids very soon after moving here and because of this never developed my own networks and friendships. And now because personal time is a premium i want my real friends and family i left behind.

You can have the money, the environment, the sunny days but if you don't invest in time it won't feel like home. Appreciate just how long it took to build the life in the UK and realise you'll need the same time again if you want Australia to feel like a home in the same way.

That's very true chat. REAL friendships seem to take forever to develop once you're a 'proper grown up', especially so unless you have some really fundamental common link that binds you together. I think that's why Brits end up mates with fellow Brits...they instantly have a lot on common.

You need time.

Time to build a life, a career, confidence in your surroundings. I got married and had kids very soon after moving here and because of this never developed my own networks and friendships. And now because personal time is a premium i want my real friends and family i left behind.

You can have the money, the environment, the sunny days but if you don't invest in time it won't feel like home. Appreciate just how long it took to build the life in the UK and realise you'll need the same time again if you want Australia to feel like a home in the same way.

You need time.

Personal time is at a premium when you have kids. Things change and you have to accept it, no matter where you are. People change, have families, move on. You don't generally keep the same friends you made when you were young all your life. Sure they might still remain friends but people move around a lot these days and the friends you remember will have changed, as you have, with families, commitments, mortgages, work.

I think people look back on their younger days when they were single, had a lot of spare time and money in their pocket, didn't have to think about anyone else and feel that life isn't as good now.

Make the most of those times is my advice.

Paul1Perth - that is why it is so important to make the best use of your time in Australia to build the life you want before you take on responsibilities that limit your opportunities to progress your career or have solid, trusted friendships.

My friends and family in the UK are all still together and now have their own kids and spend time together. All that changed is that I'm the only one not there. I didn't leave the UK because i was unsatisfied with my life there and because i couldn't recreate that happiness in Australia I regret moving.

But that is just my experience, I know other ex-pats who had different circumstances and now never look back. But I would say they do spend more time with ex-pats than home grown Aussies.

Edited by lechatnoir

Paul1Perth - that is why it is so important to make the best use of your time in Australia to build the life you want before you take on responsibilities that limit your opportunities to progress your career or have solid, trusted friendships.

My friends and family in the UK are all still together and now have their own kids and spend time together. All that changed is that I'm the only one not there. I didn't leave the UK because i was unsatisfied with my life there and because i couldn't recreate that happiness in Australia I regret moving.

But that is just my experience, I know other ex-pats who had different circumstances and now never look back. But I would say they do spend more time with ex-pats than home grown Aussies.

All depends what your interests are. It is easier to talk to expats sometimes as they've been through the same experiences, know the UK and can have a chat about where you came from, where they came from, why you came, the usual stuff. I'm sure a lot of Aussies hear it all too often and switch off if you start talking about the UK and where you came from.

If though you find you like and start doing things that are popular in Aus like AFL, surfing, surf lifesaving then you might meet a lot more Aussies and have something in common with them.

We met a lot because our eldest was only 2 when we came out here and played Auskick, joined the surf club as soon as he could, loved surfing and the Ocean. We got involved, I ended up coaching him at auskick and the surf club and met lot's of Aussies through those. They look at you a bit strange, coaching AFL, auskick and surf club with a broad Derbyshire accent but if you show willing and a bit of enthusiasm then everyone is pretty good. We have lots of aussie friends we've met because we joined in with activities like that.

I think you are just being sensitive Katie22. You had better get used to it. It's going to be tough if it bothers you.

Crikey, I've been here 12 yrs & it still really grates - like fingernails down a blackboard. Can cope with the usual jokes and can cope with having the mickey taken out of my accent, in fact I laugh along with that as they can be quite funny but that word Pommy just really bugs me. However, worse thing to be called I suppose....!

Crikey, I've been here 12 yrs & it still really grates - like fingernails down a blackboard. Can cope with the usual jokes and can cope with having the mickey taken out of my accent, in fact I laugh along with that as they can be quite funny but that word Pommy just really bugs me. However, worse thing to be called I suppose....!

But surely its all in the tone and context?

Most times it is said without any malice. Sure you get the occasional idiot who uses the term in an abusive manner but that's pretty rare IME.

Edited by noworriesmate
language

I really hate being called a pommie or am I just ultra sensitive?

I dont hate it/get offended it just annoys the hell out of me when a fellow english person calls me a pom or refers to themselves as a pom or when they call England "Pommie land" WTF?!?.....it doesnt even make sense!

Edited by wattsy1982

But surely its all in the tone and context?

Most times it is said without any malice. Sure you get the occasional idiot who uses the term in an abusive manner but that's pretty rare IME.

I think it's the occasional idiot that has probably moulded my opinion! But you're right majority of time it's never said with malice and though it's always been one of my pet hates - started over 20 yrs ago on working holiday - l can handle it!

Edited by noworriesmate
language

I dont hate it/get offended it just annoys the hell out of me when a fellow english person calls me a pom or refers to themselves as a pom or when they call England "Pommie lane" WTF?!?.....it doesnt even make sense!

That is so true! Might be bit naive but not heard of Pommie lane - that's even worse!

I dont hate it/get offended it just annoys the hell out of me when a fellow english person calls me a pom or refers to themselves as a pom or when they call England "Pommie lane" WTF?!?.....it doesnt even make sense!

Why? Can they start calling you Pom if/when they get citizenship? Am sure if I lived in France I would pick up 'rost bif' and use it as my own.