five songs on your wish list

Guest Bora

Nothing in terms of relevance for moving but heard an interesting show on the radio this week about what would be your five must hear songs if they were the last five you'd ever here. Very interesting this as there are millions of choices of course! And gets you thinking.......

If I had to choose I'd go for, and in no particualer order.

1. Madness - It Must Be Love

2. Jamiroquai - The Return Of The Space Cowboy

3. Sting - Fields Of Gold

4. Massive Attack - Unfinished Sympathy

5. Silent Poets - Moments Scale (cafe del mar vol dos)

Well go on, thinking caps on ......

Hmm hard.

Islands In The Stream - this describes my relationship with my husband; not the chorus but the actual words of the song - the Dolly and Kenny version for sure

Eagle when she flies - this reminds me of my mother - Dolly Parton

Jealous of the Angels - about sums up my feelings for my mum - Jenn Bostick

Bad Moon Rising - Credence Clearwater Revival - got to love a rousing Apocalypse song

Oliver's Army - Elvis Costello

Too hard to choose. I've got a mix of my favourites playing in the background.

The last 5 were:

Melancholy Hill - Gorillaz

A Very Good Year - Frank Sinatra

Hearts A Mess - Gotye

Nice And Sleazy - Stranglers

Jesus Built My Hotrod - Ministry

a strange mix

He aint heavy, he's my brother

Beneath your beautiful

For Good (from the musical Wicked)

Breakfast at Tiffanys

Tiger feet ... because it was the very first single I ever bought with my own money

I'd probably choose a different 5 tomorrow, here's today's pick...

Stay With Me - Faces

Green Manalishi - Fleetwood Mac

I Just Wanna Make Love To You - Sensational Alex Harvey Band

Into The Valley - Skids

He's On The Beach - Kirsty MacColl

Eddie Cochran - Summertime Blues

The Ramones - Baby I Love You

The Who 5:15

Charlie Daniels Band - The Devil Went Down To Georgia

Foo Fighters - Everlong

He aint heavy, he's my brother

Beneath your beautiful

For Good (from the musical Wicked)

Breakfast at Tiffanys

Tiger feet ... because it was the very first single I ever bought with my own money

I loved 'Tiger Feet' too, but it thwarted The Sweet from reaching no 1 with 'Teenage Rampage!' (I had all The Sweet's singles from 'Little Willy' to 'Love Is Like Oxygen.' (Not sure if I should be admitting that, but I guess it could have been worse. What if I had all Gary Glitter's singles?!)

I have a handful - maybe even five - songs that are so special that as soon as I hear the opening bar, I have to drop everything I'm doing, and turn the radio up. And If I turn the radio on just as the final bar is playing, I gnash my teeth in frustration.

'Love Will Tear Us Apart' Joy Division.

'There She Goes' The La's.

'Something In The Air' Thunderclap Newman.

'A Day In The Life' The Beatles (cue for me to play side two of Beatles' Anthology 2 now! This is not the final version but has John muttering 'Sugar Plum Fairy, Sugar Plum Fairy' at the start, and Mal Evans counting 1-10 in place of orchestral finale.)

'You Wear It Well' Rod Stewart.

So hard to do

Pink Floyd , wish you were here

Redgum diamantina drover

Chisel, when the war is over

Daryl braithwaite horses

Green day, when sept ends,

Could have easily named another thirty though

I'm ashamed I did not put any Aussie songs down! 'One Perfect Day' Little Heroes, for one, and maybe 'I Was Only Nineteen?'

Both good songs. I've got about 350 in my grooveshark playlist. Cutting to five is hard.

Yes, I know it's hard, but these five are just about the 'creme-de-la-creme!' There are plenty of other songs, but these ones have something extra that makes them stand out. When I hear 'Something In The Air' for instance, during the instrumental break, I try to do the double clap in time with ?Speedy Keen?

I wonder if I could include the whole of 'Revolver?!' Individually, I don't like the songs quite so much, 14 tracks in 34 minutes too, I think, so their quality control was intense.

The gambler :Kenny Rogers

Back to life : soul to soul

Perfect strangers : smashing pumpkins

One love : Bob Marley

Cast : Walk Away

i was was thinking about tracks of years the other day , songs that take you to important memorable points through out your life . Would have made a good thread.

Very hard to choose 5 songs , the fifth was the hardest , so many others could go in .

I've got a 'Soul To Soul' CD, which I think I bought by mistake, making my way 'A to Z' round a music store, intending to get one by 'Sugar'. In the end, I got both. I''ve put it on - 'Volume V Believe', and that song of your is not on there. First time I've played the CD in 3 1/2 years (I'm 'sad' enough to have a slip of paper inside the sleeve with play dates recorded, going back to 1995 when I bought it.)

I'm not a particular fan of 'Seal' but I love his song 'Kiss From A Rose' partly because it reminds me of a holiday with my two brothers.

In no particular order:

- Anything by Bryan Ferry / Roxy Music (because, if I'm on a desert island or somewhere, this smooth and urbane sound will hopefully help my sanity when I'm grizzled and in rags)

- Ditto by AC/DC (just so I can rage at the moon)

- The Man who Couldn't Cry - Johnny Cash

- Guitar Town - Steve Earle

- Waltzing Matilda (just because)

ok, here's my first stab. it will change tomorrow though!

Led Zeppelin - (anything really) Ten Years gone

Kaaris - Ciroc

Deadborn - Stigma Eternal

Tricky - Wash My soul

Opeth - (anything again!!) Hex Omega.

maybe not to all tastes, but maybe something for everyone?!!

ta!

I'd have trouble narrowing it down to 20, let alone 5 !!

Tend to agree. This question is an internet staple, and I treat it as a bit of fun. Truth be told, and I were really about to spend the rest of my life isolated, I'd probably load up some classical music (which would involve a whole, other opinionated thread). :)

In no particular order:

- Anything by Bryan Ferry / Roxy Music (because, if I'm on a desert island or somewhere, this smooth and urbane sound will hopefully help my sanity when I'm grizzled and in rags)

- Ditto by AC/DC (just so I can rage at the moon)

- The Man who Couldn't Cry - Johnny Cash

- Guitar Town - Steve Earle

- Waltzing Matilda (just because)

I played 'Guitar Town' on YouTube, very good, but I prefer 'Copperhead Road'. At least I know two Steve Earle songs now!

If I could only take one LP with me to a desert island, it would be 'Revolver', and if I could take just one artist's output, it would be The Beatles. I still can't get over how they could squeeze so much into such a relatively short period - late 1962 to beginning of 1970.

Layla, Derek and the Dominoes.

Comfortably Numb (pulse) Pink Floyd.

Wind Of Change (with Berlin Philharmonic, moment of glory) Scorpions.

Kayleigh Marillion.

Jigsaw Marillion.

Five is not enough I can think of at least a hundred.

Archived