Things we do that Aussies don't get!

LauraF

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't understand why people say that the sense of humour is different? That's certainly not what I have experienced. I worked for a year in the community as a Home Help and met a huge variety of people in their own homes, the elderly people with disabilities etc. With the exception of one or two their sense of humour was what was getting them through on a day to day basis.

I don't understand why people say that the sense of humour is different? That's certainly not what I have experienced. I worked for a year in the community as a Home Help and met a huge variety of people in their own homes, the elderly people with disabilities etc. With the exception of one or two their sense of humour was what was getting them through on a day to day basis.

I agree with you 100 per cent, more than 100 per cent, in fact! I mix with both 'Aussies' and 'Pommies' (leaving aside all the 'ethnics' I also mix with!) and if it was true that their sense of humour was different, then I would be constantly changing my thought and speech patterns depending on which nationality I was interacting with. And what about when I'm with the Spurs fans, who seem to be almost an equal mix of Aussies and Pommies. They are both equally passionate, both take part in the singing and shouting. It's stupid when you think about it; as if you had to press a 'switch modes' button to talk and joke with an Aussie!

I remember years ago, when England beat Australia in a Test match, I draped my Union flag over my desk at work. After the next Test, which Australia won, one of the guys brought in his Aussie flag to drape over his desk. (I 'trumped' him by producing my Aussie passport and we both had a good laugh.)

My belief is that people who notice the alleged differences, just have not settled in yet.

I don't understand why people say that the sense of humour is different? That's certainly not what I have experienced.

Totally agree there. If Australians didn't understand that sense of humour, why has Oz TV been saturated with British comedy ever since the first station opened?

And before that on radio with shows like Hancock's Half Hour and the Goon Show.

I agree with you 100 per cent, more than 100 per cent, in fact! I mix with both 'Aussies' and 'Pommies' (leaving aside all the 'ethnics' I also mix with!) and if it was true that their sense of humour was different, then I would be constantly changing my thought and speech patterns depending on which nationality I was interacting with. And what about when I'm with the Spurs fans, who seem to be almost an equal mix of Aussies and Pommies. They are both equally passionate, both take part in the singing and shouting. It's stupid when you think about it; as if you had to press a 'switch modes' button to talk and joke with an Aussie!

I remember years ago, when England beat Australia in a Test match, I draped my Union flag over my desk at work. After the next Test, which Australia won, one of the guys brought in his Aussie flag to drape over his desk. (I 'trumped' him by producing my Aussie passport and we both had a good laugh.)

My belief is that people who notice the alleged differences, just have not settled in yet.

Agree too, must have a sense of humour (maybe even warped) to be a Spurs fan:laugh:

I think it depends where you live in Aus as Aus is different in each State. Bringing own grog and food has always been the go but it used to be a contribution to the hosts to help them with costs and was not taken home, this is a relatively new idea and maybe its been brought over by others. Certainly at our doos everyone is welcome to everything and always has been. I do like people to take stuff home though else we are eating for week.

My oh had a geordie accent and the only time I remember him having trouble was when we were in Germany and he was trying to get me a lager and lime.

Guess it depends who you meet and whether they are taking the p...................ss really.

Archived