Are you 'comfortable' with Australia's handling of Tamil asylum seekers at sea?

Harpodom

Do you agree with Australia's handling of the 2 Tamil asylum seeker boats?  

78 members have voted

1. 1. Do you agree with Australia's handling of the 2 Tamil asylum seeker boats?

• Yes I agree
    • No I disagree
    • I couldn't care less

As has been stated already though, they have been assessed, and so we now know they were not genuine.

Wrongly stated by a particular clueless poster regurgitating government communiques. Advocating the illegal breaking of signed conventions on top of gross and shameful display of ignorance on matters commenting. Now just who can that be?

• Replies 532
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I see you are not up the speed on the subject matter at hand. Looks a cut and paste job from the previous attempt. You are in no position to pass judgement on whether those are or are not in need of asylum. Your use of the word punishment says rather a lot about you.

First paragraph is in response to a derogatory remark. Second paragraph a statement reiterating my opinion, both nothing to do with keeping up to speed.

Non of us are able to pass judgment least of all you and your like with one eyed views.

Punishment is just being sent back, keep resolute and determined in sending back as a punishment and the deterrent eventually works, or were you thinking of something harsher ?

Guest littlesarah
My assumption that they are not genuine is not much different to your assumption that they must be.

People who assume they must be fleeing persecution because they are on a boat doesn't say much about critical thinking skills to me either.

Actually, I haven't made any comments about the background of the people involved; in fact I haven't made any other comment in this thread. I'm just a bit confused as to why anyone would trust a government over human rights advocates (why would the former be any less biased than the latter?). Particularly when history shows that governments are not above bias in presenting their case (e.g. WMD prior to the last Iraq war). My concern is that Australia meets its legal, moral & ethical duties with respect to its own inhabitants & those seeking to enter the country for whatever reason.

Edited by littlesarah

First paragraph is in response to a derogatory remark. Second paragraph a statement reiterating my opinion, both nothing to do with keeping up to speed.

Non of us are able to pass judgment least of all you and your like with one eyed views.

Punishment is just being sent back, keep resolute and determined in sending back as a punishment and the deterrent eventually works, or were you thinking of something harsher ?

I was thinking of abiding by the law for starters. And yes going on past performance on the issue I have every ability to pass judgement. Not one eye views the right and correct views in a matter I know to what I refer.

I was thinking of abiding by the law for starters. And yes going on past performance on the issue I have every ability to pass judgement. Not one eye views the right and correct views in a matter I know to what I refer.

OK so now we all have the ability to pass judgment based on how we view past performance, may not be the same view or judgment as yours, and does not mean either are right or wrong, everybody to their own, but there are only a few that choose to push their view down other peoples throats as being the only right one and are unwilling to accept the views of others, even if they appear to agree on some points.

It's embarrassing when the French are saying the Australians are breaking the law by sending Sri lankans back. I am embarrassed by the lack of humanity ...sad times. . When people stop helping others in need..

News is gathering pace.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-07-07/morrison-confirms-sri-lankans-returned-after-interception/5575924

Officials say the asylum seekers, all men, will be taken to the port of Galle today and handed over to the Criminal Investigation Division, which is an arm of the intelligence branch.

It is a crime to leave Sri Lanka without leaving by an official port, so people who are caught at sea and returned are often charged with illegal migration offences.

"They will be charged under the Immigrants and Emigrants Act," police spokesman Ajith Rohana told the Reuters news agency.

"The sentence for those who are proved to have left illegally is two years of rigorous imprisonment and a fine."

I just don't accept that because someone chooses to come illegally on a boat they must be desperate and genuine.

That is often not the case and cannot be known with any certainty until they are assessed.

Are you glad the 41 will face 'two years of rigorous imprisonment and a fine'?

Does that make you happy, seeing them punished?