Are you 'comfortable' with Australia's handling of Tamil asylum seekers at sea?

Harpodom

Do you agree with Australia's handling of the 2 Tamil asylum seeker boats?  

78 members have voted

1. 1. Do you agree with Australia's handling of the 2 Tamil asylum seeker boats?

• Yes I agree
    • No I disagree
    • I couldn't care less

• Replies 532
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Talking to himself now.

Way above your head obviously. Try the weather where you are to enable some factual reporting. Unfortunately the Noddy, straight of the government press comments relayed in a lot your postings just go towards confirming the sadly negative thoughts a lot of the world harbours with regards the Aussie intellect.

With all due respect, it's not my job to determine whether someone is a genuine refugee.

However, if it WAS my job, I'd advocate a process which is a lot more legally/ethically/morally robust than 4 questions, after being herded onto a customs boat, via teleconference, no legal representation, no means of appeal.

Does that sound fair to you? Do you actually care? I suspect the issue is that you couldn't give a toss.

It is you that stated that these particular boat people were tortured and I was asking if you had evidence to back up your statement as it would greatly aid their cause, and I care enough to be of the opinion that if what you state is true then I ( and many others) would consider them to be genuine refugees, and back you and them up to the hilt in your quest for fairness, but I fear that you are generalizing and to me that blows your opinions out of the water (no pun intended) and this generalizing puts a lot of peoples backs up, which does not really then help the cause of the genuine refugees.

Way above your head obviously. Try the weather where you are to enable some factual reporting. Unfortunately the Noddy, straight of the government press comments relayed in a lot your postings just go towards confirming the sadly negative thoughts a lot of the world harbours with regards the Aussie intellect.

I'm proud to be an Aussie.

At least I have an allegiance.

It is you that stated that these particular boat people were tortured and I was asking if you had evidence to back up your statement as it would greatly aid their cause, and I care enough to be of the opinion that if what you state is true then I ( and many others) would consider them to be genuine refugees, and back you and them up to the hilt in your quest for fairness, but I fear that you are generalizing and to me that blows your opinions out of the water (no pun intended) and this generalizing puts a lot of peoples backs up, which does not really then help the cause of the genuine refugees.

I never mentioned torture. Neither you or I know what these people have been through.

I prefer to talk in broad terms of fairness and process, rather than specifics.

I don't believe that DIBP is acting in the best interests of refugees or asylum seekers by acting in what can *at best* be described as a cavalier manner.

I don't feel comfortable with what they are doing at sea, or in detention centres. I think is grossly unfair. The UN happens to agree: they have repeatedly stressed that it may be in breach of international law. Amnesty International, refugee advocates, human rights organisations all agree.

You obviously do feel comfortable, judging by your comments, and in my mind that diminishes you as a human being.

Just my opinion, sorry.

How can a poster on here or anywhere else give any evidence into an individual case when the government fails to act in accordance with the spirit of international law? Not to state too finely the clock and danger operations carried out worthy of the former Soviet regime. Like mushrooms keep the population in the dark and drip feed them s..t.

And the sloganeering to the Bogans doesn't assist in any shape of form those in flight and seeking potential refuge.

I'm proud to be an Aussie.

At least I have an allegiance.

Proud to act the Bogan and discredit Aussies with an overwhelming robotic sense of conformism (not even supposed to be an Aussie virtue) unwillingness to think for yourself, I could go on but you get the drift. No thank mthe lord I don't play any part of such an allegiance of the ignorant.

I never mentioned torture. Neither you or I know what these people have been through.

I prefer to talk in broad terms of fairness and process, rather than specifics.

I don't believe that DIBP is acting in the best interests of refugees or asylum seekers by acting in what can *at best* be described as a cavalier manner.

I don't feel comfortable with what they are doing at sea, or in detention centres. I think is grossly unfair. The UN happens to agree: they have repeatedly stressed that it may be in breach of international law. Amnesty International, refugee advocates, human rights organisations all agree.

You obviously do feel comfortable, judging by your comments, and in my mind that diminishes you as a human being.

Just my opinion, sorry.

I do apologize for saying it was you that mentioned torture, it was actually flag and you just jumped in on it and tried to takeover. I also do not believe you are sorry, but I am sorry, for you, don't' ask me why! but maybe its because you cannot fully read/understand a posting or even believe and accept some one that states their agreement of torture being wrong and that anyone seeking asylum from such terror are genuine, you just want to cherry pick out the bits that disagree with any part of what you have to say, I think shows you up for been a diminished human being more than I.

I state again (if you care to take note and accept Harpodom) if anyone has witnessed or has credible evidence of torture and give such to the relevant authorities, then I will be with you all the way, it's just a great shame that non genuine asylum seekers (of which there are many, and I believe that they should be punished as a deterrent to others) and people that promote them, are just abusing the system and make it harder for the genuine cases to be assessed more fairly.

I do apologize for saying it was you that mentioned torture, it was actually flag and you just jumped in on it and tried to takeover. I also do not believe you are sorry, but I am sorry, for you, don't' ask me why! but maybe its because you cannot fully read/understand a posting or even believe and accept some one that states their agreement of torture being wrong and that anyone seeking asylum from such terror are genuine, you just want to cherry pick out the bits that disagree with any part of what you have to say, I think shows you up for been a diminished human being more than I.

I state again (if you care to take note and accept Harpodom) if anyone has witnessed or has credible evidence of torture and give such to the relevant authorities, then I will be with you all the way, it's just a great shame that non genuine asylum seekers (of which there are many, and I believe that they should be punished as a deterrent to others) and people that promote them, are just abusing the system and make it harder for the genuine cases to be assessed more fairly.

:notworthy:

I see you are not up the speed on the subject matter at hand. Looks a cut and paste job from the previous attempt. You are in no position to pass judgement on whether those are or are not in need of asylum. Your use of the word punishment says rather a lot about you.

Guest littlesarah
Don't bother though unless it is something official from the government. If your info comes from some lefty that has just made it up to bolster their argument then I'm not interested.

I really hope you're just being a wind-up merchant, otherwise it suggests that you really do need to learn some critical thinking skills, or at least consider the phenomenon of bias as applying to every person & entity. I think you'll find that human rights advocates are rather keen on identifying exactly what is going on - with so many violations going on around the world it be good to cross a few situations off the list for a change!

I really hope you're just being a wind-up merchant, otherwise it suggests that you really do need to learn some critical thinking skills, or at least consider the phenomenon of bias as applying to every person & entity. I think you'll find that human rights advocates are rather keen on identifying exactly what is going on - with so many violations going on around the world it be good to cross a few situations off the list for a change!

Just thinking skills will past muster for starters.

My assumption that they are not genuine is not much different to your assumption that they must be.

People who assume they must be fleeing persecution because they are on a boat doesn't say much about critical thinking skills to me either.