Are you 'comfortable' with Australia's handling of Tamil asylum seekers at sea?

Harpodom

Do you agree with Australia's handling of the 2 Tamil asylum seeker boats?  

78 members have voted

1. 1. Do you agree with Australia's handling of the 2 Tamil asylum seeker boats?

• Yes I agree
    • No I disagree
    • I couldn't care less

Is anyone else concerned that the High Court can seemingly be called on willy nilly, to impede a democratically elected government of the day from enacting a platform it took to the election and won a mandate for ?

And as Harpo pointed out has the backing of the majority of Australians ?

• Replies 532
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As I said, many thousands have done exactly that. Not because they are desperate, or persecuted, but because they want a better life in Australia.

They pay something like $10000 to $20000 each for the passage.

How would you know? Any idea with regards the situation these folk have/are enduring in Sri Lanka? As for knowing they have not been fairly assessed under law to determine an outcome. Not only do you disregard the law, you would appear to deny those a fair hearing or trial as well. Not much of a democrat.

And this is the nub of it. Undoubtedly, life is better here. Undoubtedly, getting here by hook or by crook will give your children a better future. The desperation to ensure a better future for yourself is clear. But you are not necessarily a refugee. You may, however, call yourself a refugee and ensure that enough people swallow the lie to gain entrance the country. You can even smuggle yourself in large numbers with refugees, and pass yourself off as being in danger in your homeland.

You are however screened and returned if found not. The procedure is not as easy as some may think and operates under international guidelines from within the UN.Even refugees would like a better future for their kids. You have some issue with that? As the majority are found to be genuine your comment makes little sense.

Visa overstayers should be shipped off to Manus Island too until they have their claims sorted. Could take years. That's fair.

Manus should be closed. But anyway what on earth has over stayers in Australia got to do with PNG? Australia has to manage their own issues not farm everything out to others to do their dirty work at tax payers expense.

Meanwhile, the numbers (as well as sample size) are VERY different on ABC's The drum:

The Federal Government has confirmed that 41 asylum seekers were processed at sea and transferred to the Sri Lankan navy. Do you support this action?[TABLE=class: vc_results_table poll-results-table]

[TR]

[TD=class: poll-results-answer]No

[/TD]

[TD=class: poll-results-percentage]75%

[/TD]

[TD=class: poll-results-bar votecentral_resultbar][/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=class: poll-results-answer]Yes

[/TD]

[TD=class: poll-results-percentage]24%

[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=class: poll-results-answer]Unsure

[/TD]

[TD=class: poll-results-percentage]2%

[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

2902 votes counted

And why I like The Drum and ABC/SBS in particular. Further explains why Abbott doesn't care for it on the other hand.

Reports saying they were stopped in international waters on a legal footing do the courts in oz have duristriction ?

Listening to radio this morning question was asked why would they want to get on a un seaworthy boat pay 100's of dollars to criminals and then travel 1000's of km when they could have gone to the Tamil save state in India much closer ? Or travel to the north of Sri Lanka where the Tamil have a majority in government there ?

Conclusions?

Well, the 'bogan' vote completely outnumbers the 'educated' one, as evidenced by the sample size.

And as the bogans are SO in favour of govt actions, the asylum seekers are pretty f@@ked, unless the high court steps in and stops this madness.

Scott Morrison KNOWS he has majority support for his actions. This isn't the only such poll to show up Australians as lacking in compassion (or IMO the ability to think critically), other recent polls indicate that between 60-70% of Australians favour offshore processing, towbacks and even harsher measures.

Very much the case sadly. Bogan Nation rules a very sad indictment. Saying that government slogans and Murdoch media have constantly ran a campaign demonising Asylum Seekers with a remarkable degree of success if hardly unexpected.

Let's just destroy Australia like the poms did to the uk over the last 40 yrs. let them all in. I'd love to take some of you through our lower class suburbs and show you some families.

And the one million immigrants in three years? Or is it only folk potentially escaping persecution that raise your heckles? What ever gives you the idea that the UK was destroyed. Lower class suburbs and Bogans have little to do with the matter, apart of course from those asylum seekers on bridging visa's but not allowed to work forced to fend the best ways they can with little money and chartable help.

Is anyone else concerned that the High Court can seemingly be called on willy nilly, to impede a democratically elected government of the day from enacting a platform it took to the election and won a mandate for ?

And as Harpo pointed out has the backing of the majority of Australians ?

It is all too long in coming. The Law is above politics and even Bogans. We need to ignore mob rule and return to decency and government brought to sanction.

Reports saying they were stopped in international waters on a legal footing do the courts in oz have duristriction ?

Listening to radio this morning question was asked why would they want to get on a un seaworthy boat pay 100's of dollars to criminals and then travel 1000's of km when they could have gone to the Tamil save state in India much closer ? Or travel to the north of Sri Lanka where the Tamil have a majority in government there ?

If they were stopped in international waters (not saying they were, facts are hard to come by in this war), what business do the RAN have confiscating their boats? Isn't that an act of piracy?

In this particular case with the information that is in the public domain IMO I think these are economic migrants and not refugees fleeing persecution but none of us have all the facts at first hand experience only what's in the public domain.

Genuine refugees should be helped as much as possible and given all the help a country like Australia can offer.

Shows the desperation doesn't it? They left Tamil Nadu it would appear. India as I mentioned earlier does not give refugee status in the sense it is not a signatory to the UNHCR. The North of Sri Lanka is where the persecution is alleged to be happening and has been of concern to the UN.

Forget about the government beat on people smugglers as it in no sense or form impacts on whether those on board are in need of refuge or not. I don't recall many things in life being free. A boat from Sri Lanka/India would hardly be an exception.

In this particular case with the information that is in the public domain IMO I think these are economic migrants and not refugees fleeing persecution but none of us have all the facts at first hand experience only what's in the public domain.

Genuine refugees should be helped as much as possible and given all the help a country like Australia can offer.

What has the public domain dominated by those with fixed ideas on the subject got to do with whether asylum seekers are genuine or not? Do you not believe that they should at least be given the right to be heard as directed under law prior to be classed as guilty? Even a murderer or child rapist enjoys such rights. Why shouldn't an asylum seeker who has broken no law be awarded the same?

If they were stopped in international waters (not saying they were, facts are hard to come by in this war), what business do the RAN have confiscating their boats? Isn't that an act of piracy?

Actually a good point. Interfering with the free navigation of a vessel on the high seas. Except I believe they radioed for assistance.

We rescued them.

Unless we have broken an Australian law that I am unaware of, I don't see what business of the High Court all this is ?

Also I think some people mix up law and convention quite a bit.

The High Court has been busy, ever since Scott Morrison become immigration minister.

Law, convention, human rights, decency....its all so confusing!

There was a vicious stabbing murder in Sydney CBD yesterday.

A man plunged a knife into another man's chest killing him. I think he was a love rival.

Anyway the alleged perp was an Iranian refugee given a protection visa in 2010.

Just saying some of these people are not very nice individuals at all. A sad case this one.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/news/tears-in-court-as-kazem-mohamadi-payam-appears-charged-over-brutal-stabbing-murder-at-westfield-parramatta-shopping-mall/story-fni0cx4q-1226981531440

There was a vicious stabbing murder in Sydney CBD yesterday.

A man plunged a knife into another man's chest killing him. I think he was a love rival.

Anyway the alleged perp was an Iranian refugee given a protection visa in 2010.

Just saying some of these people are not very nice individuals at all. A sad case this one.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/news/tears-in-court-as-kazem-mohamadi-payam-appears-charged-over-brutal-stabbing-murder-at-westfield-parramatta-shopping-mall/story-fni0cx4q-1226981531440

Don't ever think about becoming a lawyer will you?