Are you 'comfortable' with Australia's handling of Tamil asylum seekers at sea?

Harpodom

Do you agree with Australia's handling of the 2 Tamil asylum seeker boats?  

78 members have voted

1. 1. Do you agree with Australia's handling of the 2 Tamil asylum seeker boats?

• Yes I agree
    • No I disagree
    • I couldn't care less

• Replies 532
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know how Australia get away with it - don't they have a legal obligation to consider each case on its own accord and to not just turn them around?

Reading the comments after the article posted in the OP (as well as many others in the SMH and the Guardian), it seems a lot of Australians really resent being told what to do by the UN.

Such people view the UN, 'hand wringing lefties' and queue jumping economic migrants as the bad guys here.

Human rights don't seem to matter.

BUMP.

What follows is the edited transcript of an actual doorstop press conference given by Immigration Minister Scott Morrison last Saturday:

Q: Minister, is there a boat in trouble off Christmas Island?

A: It is our standard practice as you know, under Operation Sovereign Borders, to report on any significant events regarding maritime operations at sea, particularly where there are safety of life at sea issues associated, and I am advised I have no such reports to provide.

Q: Is there a boat?

A: Well, I have answered the question.

Q: … So are you saying that boats are not leaving (for Australia)?

A: We are always ready for boats that may arrive and we always anticipate that they may seek to come and we are always ready. We are ready today, we were ready yesterday and we will be ready tomorrow and the government’s policies will continue to prevail.

Q: So Mr Morrison, you are not even going to confirm there is a boat, you are not going to say what is happening if people are in the water? Their boat is leaking, we are told – leaking oil – and you are not going to say anything about that situation?

A: What I have said is that it is our practice to report on significant events at sea, particularly when they involve safety of life at sea. Now there is no such report for me to provide to you today. If there was a significant event happening then I would be reporting on it.

Q: So what does that mean?

A: You are a bright journalist. I’m sure you can work it out.

Q: No, we are asking you, Sir. You are the minister.

A: And I have given you my response.

Q: So could you clarify, Sir, for us at what point does an event become a significant event involving a boat on the water?

A: When you see me here standing and reporting on it.

Q: And you are standing here reporting.

A: I am not. I am saying there is no such report for me to provide to you today.

Q: Are you saying that it could be a hoax that people are saying they are in trouble?

A: I am not saying anything of that at all. I am not confirming any of these matters. This should come as no surprise to you. This has been our practice now for the entire period of this operation. This is another day at the office for Operation Sovereign Borders.

Only a year ago, the thought of offshore detention of innocent men, women and children was appalling to me.

Now that seems pretty humane, compared to deciding the fate of desperate people by asking them FOUR QUESTIONS on a customs ship at sea, before handing them to the navy of the country they fled in the first place.

Maybe I'm just becoming....a Strayan?

Yes.

If so, how does deciding the refugee status of an asylum seeker by asking them 4 questions (via teleconference, on a customs boat at sea, without legal representation or recourse to appeal) sit with your sense of justice and fairness?

Particularly when a 'negative' decision means being transferred to the navy of the country the asylum seekers fled in the first place.

How exactly does THAT value human rights, maaaate?

Absolutely.

I think under Labor's chaotic system there was something like 1500 confirmed drownings.

At least we knew about them

The problem does not go away by hiding it from public view.

Lack of transparency is not a foundation for trust.

The next election will make or break Australias economic future.

At least we knew about them

The problem does not go away by hiding it from public view.

Lack of transparency is not a foundation for trust.

The next election will make or break Australias economic future.

I think there is more at stake than just that. Australia's international reputation is already suffering. God only knows what sort of reputation it would have if this goes on.

It is part of the overall strategy, to keep the information out of the hands of the people smugglers.

Seems to have been very successful.

What about relatives of the asylum seekers parley?

Please try to remember that asylum seekers are actually people.

Therefore they have families, who are also people.

Being people, they care about whether they live, die, or are sent back to the country they fled.

That's why it isn't OK pretending like this never happened.