UK qualifications for Aus Uni

James92

Hi there, I'm hoping to start uni this coming march, i am currently living in Aus as a permanent resident, I have 2 A levels and 2 AS Levels 11 GCSE's and i am currently doing a cert 4. I am trying to find out if this will be enough to gain entry into an Aus uni but have been told numerous different things through the various Uni's and VTAC. I have been told that i will have no problem gaining entry from one person to be told by another i wouldn't be able too. Also for an application it states i need to have certified copies of my results, i have my A level ones but not the AS or the GCSE ones. Could anyone who has been through this process please get back to me, thanks very much.

James

• 2 weeks later...

Universities will accept UK and other qualifications, including local vocational, through credit assessment under the AQF Australian Qualifications Framework (you must show your transcripts and subject descriptions). I'd suggest targetting a few courses at a few universities, and contact faculty direct, someone should be able to guide you through non VTAC application.

Edited by connaust

• 3 weeks later...

Based on my daughters application through UAC and VTAC, there is no way that you can get a realistic idea about your ATAR when you come from a different country.

They have their system of calculation and you will not know where you stand until you apply. For a start, go to the website of the universities that offer your degree and check what was the cut off for the last year. Then you can start arranging the different courses according to your preferences and the good thing is that the order does not have to be from the lowest ATAR cut off to the highest as you will be considered for 3rd or 4th preference before candidates with lower ATAR but first preference.

I can't remember exactly... I'm in Qld. Here's what I had...

- 9 GCSEs

- Level 3 "Advanced" Diploma in IT (which was 'equivalent' to 2.5 x A2 subjects... I freaked out so much that they wouldn't accept this).

- A2 Media Studies, A2 General Studies

- AS Psychology.

And I got in fine with no troubles. I don't think they looked at my GCSEs.

Yes, you need the original - NOT just the Statement of Results. I tried to give them the Statement of Results and because those are un-finalised, you needed the certificates. Again, I'm talking for QTAC in Queensland.

So I guess it'd be the same in Vic.

If you're worried about not having them in time to apply, check your deadlines for applications. I was cutting it very fine but I still made the 'early' offer round when I applied 4 years ago. :)

And don't panic. I celebrate my 4th year (to the day) in Aus tomorrow. I arrived around this time after completing my A Levels a month prior, and still got everything sorted out.

Worst case scenario you may just have to do some kind of tertiary prep course through either TAFE or a local University. Usually you can do them online and they run for 1-2 semesters depending on if you do them full/part time, online or on campus etc.

It'd be worth looking in to all your options, applying, giving them the documentation, but putting that as an option on your application (I'm not so sure what the system is like in Vic - in Qld we have preferences and offers are made based on your preferences... So if you put your degree as your top preference and if they can't offer you a degree, put the tertiary prep program as your next option, for example).

Hope that helps - if you need anything clarifying please do feel free to ask, it's getting late, it's winter and I'm fading... Haha. :) Even though it was 28 in Brisbane/Gold Coast region today!

The school I currently work at in the UK, has had a few students go to Australian Universities and have had no problems with them having UK qualifications.

If you contact your school/college, they should be able to direct you in getting copies of your certificates as you may need your AS ones.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...