How much are you guys paying for flights?

Charlie Cobham

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...

I'm extremely concerned how STA Travel charged me £1800 for my return from Heathrow to Syndey (Economy) My receipt shows "Air Fare: £1,255" and "Airport Taxes, Surcharges and Fees: £538.51" I hadn't looked anywhere else at the time, i assumed STA Travel looked at all the prices around and look for the best one but i can find RTW flights for cheaper than this! Oh well, too late now :(

Hi @dannyf and welcome to the forum

Whether £1800 is a reasonable fare would depend on the time of year you're going. It does seem high but if you're going anytime around Christmas, the flights are expensive. Personally, I'd suggest is you do some shopping around yourself for flights as there's not much incentive for STA to have necessarily found you the cheapest flight (especially if they're on commission. I'm not saying they haven't found you a best flight but they are a business after all) There are plenty of online flight comparison sites out there where you can put in the dates you're flying to see if there is anything which is significantly cheaper.

If there is and you have a refundable ticket, it may be worth you cancelling your original ticket and rebooking a new one - you'll likely be charged a cancellation fee from the original airline but it may still be worth your while if the difference in fares is that significant.

Unfortunately if you don't have a refundable ticket then there's not much you can do other than just accept it.

I've been looking around and cant seem to find anything under £1000 that doesn't seen dodgy. Is this about right?

Hi, I have booked a one way economy ticket from Manchester to Darwin (12 hour stop over in Singapor) in mid Aug. Cost me £585 inclusive of tax. I bought it directly from the airline, no agents.

Hope this helps.

Yeh Danny that sounds crazy - cancel, I completely agree!!

I can't cancel unfortunately :( My receipt says "Your cancellation conditions/charges are: FULLY NON REFUNDABLE AT ALL TIMES" My flight is 10 days from now also. I spoke to STA Travel and she said it was a good deal... But, of course she would say that!

sorry to hear that Danny as it does sound like you've paid way over the odds for this time of year. No point fretting over it now though - just accept it as one of those things and put it behind you - enjoy your trip!

Yeah, you're right! I've just emailed them again though (To the branches email address this time as my adviser is on annual leave) as I'm using STA travels own flight finder and finding flights for the £1,200 inc. taxes and fees with the same conditions! (Economy, departure just 2 weeks from now (29th July) and the return date being almost a year from the departure date) so it still doesn't explain why my flights were so expensive as what she said is that the reason it cost me this much is because i booked the flights so soon (6 weeks from the departure date) and that it's a busy time of the year (Even though it's Winter in Australia!?)... Oh well! I could of totally bought a camera for that £500! Haha :)

Thanks

• 2 months later...

Just to add my input:

2010 Flew Heathrow to Perth with Royal Brunei leaving end of October returning end of November that cost us only £550 each return.

2012 Flew Heathrow to Sydney with Malaysia airlines left in January. However we got our return flights to leave from Perth back to Heathrow coming back end of February that cost us £880 each return

2012 Flew Heathrow to Auckland with Malaysia airlines leaving in November that cost £600 but was a single ticket

2015 Just booked flight Heathrow to Sydney for April with Emirates and that has cost me £730 return.

does anyone know what southern china are like? partnership with Malaysian air (EEEK!!) looking at prices for our reccie next year and now we've decided to it without kids will be pressed for time so will go straight through hence not being bothered where the stop is just need is as cheap as possible. This airline was best deal around £700 with a decent travel time although it does involve one overnight stop on way back but can live with that? That's going to Brisbane

Southern China?I personally would'nt fly with them.Not on a long haul anyway.My sis flew with them,and (1)The entertainment was c***,only showed the news and mickey mouse cartoons (lol)and (2)The food apparently was disgusting!I recently had to rebook an emergency flight back to Adelaide,booked it on a Thurs,flew on the Saturday,and it cost me just over a grand.(With Emirates,who were fantastic I must say!)I had flown over in June (return to Adelaide from Heathrow)and that cost me around £750 booked two months before the flight with Emirates.

I paid £600 odd when I went in July to Oz from the UK and back just for a holiday. I flew Emirates and they were fab! I know that was a seriously good price, they do exist sometimes. When I went a few years back, I flew Cathay and payed as close to £1000 as makes no odds,

I think that's the usual price give or take.

Edited by annagilda
Wrong information originally given (Typo)

£100 ?

Impossible.

I meant £1000, made a mistake, all fixed now.

Impossible? Funnily enough, at the time no. I know someone who flew Air Asia X via KL to Melbs, they paid £86 one way. I saw their receipt and Itinerary. Unfortunately Air Asia don't fly to the UK anymore, nor are those sorts of deals around as far as I know. Always willing to be proven wrong though.