How much are you guys paying for flights?

Charlie Cobham

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How do the airlines work out the return part of the ticket. When I look it won't let me see as far as the return date. If that makes sense

N are you planning to travel? Most airlines have a limit on how far ahead you can book - for example for BA it is 355 days.

How do the airlines work out the return part of the ticket. When I look it won't let me see as far as the return date. If that makes sense

You can only book the return date 11months on from the date you book but you can ring up and move the flights backwards once your preferred return is within the 11month window, most airlines charge $50-$150 admin fee but it still works out cheaper than 2 singles

But would there be a big price difference on top of that 50-150? I don't know if I'm just being dumb lol. @Notts I'm not sure wether I'm just going a holiday or if I'm going WHV but it won't be until after April

I spoke to BA and the said as long as you give plenty of notice for your change date and as long as its the same flight code the price should be the same

STA in my experience have always been very good, they also have offices in Aus so easy to pop in and see them, and working holiday visa's is their speciality really.

You will also find that they can offer discounted flight prices from under 26yr olds, which I have never seen anybody else able to do. Its worth popping in for a chat with them, even if just to test the waters, just don't get suckered into the upselling of other products.

I booked with sta travel last year. Paid £950 for a return to Sydney with virgin atlantic. No problems. Was going to fly with them this year. But sadly virgin no longer fly to aus :(

They have never flown to Aus, always code shared. however Virgin Atlantic gets you London to Los Angeles, Virgin Australia los Angeles to Aus (Brisbane for me)

They have never flown to Aus, always code shared. however Virgin Atlantic gets you London to Los Angeles, Virgin Australia los Angeles to Aus (Brisbane for me)

I think Chloe might be referring to Virgin Atlantic's Hong Kong-Sydney route, which was discontinued recently.

(Sorry this is so long but I'm just recounting everything we learned from our experience which is basically, just suck it up, if you pay around £1000 for decent connections and a decent airline it's better than wasting a load of time but if you have time you can save money :) )

Try kayak.com with the +\- 2 days option on. You can book your return up to one year from the day you book your flight. If you want to change the return date later (still you can only do up to one year from the date you change it) you will usually pay change fee, upto about £100 depending on the airline plus the difference for the ticket cost. I looked at changing our flight about 2 weeks before we're returning to a few days either side and the cost was between £250 to £600 inc the change fee of £100 with Emirates. What STA sometimes offer is a waive of the change fee but I think this is more to do with the airline offering it free and STA cashing in on that like it's their exclusive offer or they build it In to the price when you book initially.

We paid £882 with Emirates, LHR -SYD, Oct - June via Bangkok for 3 weeks and just 1.5hr stopovers in Dubai. That was all with emirates.

You can save money by booking to Asia then Taking a budget airline to Aus but then you don't have the protection on missed connection and it all gets a bit complicated, not to mention having to work out baggage allowances, having to pay for In flight food an entertainment, and it all gets too much like hard work.

I'd say £1000 is about the mark give or take a couple of hundred quid depending where you fly from and to and on what date. I don't think it's worth saving £150 and having a horrendously long journey or going through a dodgy country but for £400 I'd consider it. We found Turkish airlines return for under £500 but awful stop overs in Istanbul and somewhere else making it 40hsr+

Our stop over in Thailand cost no more and actually was cheaper for some routes but it took a lot of searching. Time perhaps better spent doing something else and just paying the extra for someone else to so the leg work?

Finally, once you have your route and dates phone around expedia, opodo etc and see if they will price beat a we managed to save about £50 doing this too (booking with expedia was cheaper than booking direct or through dial a flight or opodo).

Fyi leaving at 6am saved us £50 over the afternoon flight but now we realise that we need a night in a hotel we won't really use and a taxi to the airport as the trains aren't running, pretty much negating that saving lol

Edited by Britpop

What does this mean :).. the cost of your flight has no relation to the purpose of your visit

Yeah that was probably a stupid way of saying it lol I was tired. I meant that for the £500 - 600 the dates were within a month. So like visiting from May to June but they told me if I wanted to go for a full year it's more likely to be £800 - £1000

I'm just off the phone with STA travel. They said im too early to look at the dates I'd be looking for but he reckons a return with a open ticket would be around £800 or 900 and sometimes you end up not paying a price difference apparently. So I've to get back in touch once I've got a plan and it's nearer the time