Cost of Living expectations

Mainy1129

How did you research the cost of living here?

To us it was a huge shock and even being high earners has caught us out many times, we sacrificed the lovely luxuries we had at home and no one ever prepared us for this start from scratch life we felt we had

How did you all prepare yourselves?

We know of so many families returning home because of this which is so sad and why we are now helping people with this

C :eek:

I earn a reasonable amount (around $95k) I live well and save hard.. I earnt around same in uk and was poorer... I don't live outside my means and don't have things on credit.. Same ad uk to be honest...my kids are in uk and I'm here alone so for me personally all good no complaints!

To us it was a huge shock and even being high earners has caught us out many times, we sacrificed the lovely luxuries we had at home and no one ever prepared us for this start from scratch life we felt we had

We know of so many families returning home because of this which is so sad and why we are now helping people with this

My sister lives in Perth and has told me the costs she's paying for various things. There is a website; http://www.numbeo.com/cost-of-living/city_result.jsp?country=Australia&city=Perth .. but I have no idea how accurate that is. Some of the figures tie with what I know to be true.

I'm not sure about why you were shocked/unprepared, but I completely expect to start buying everything from scratch. I don't intend on brining over much more than clothing and a huge chunk of cash to get me started.

My sister lives in Perth and has told me the costs she's paying for various things. There is a website; http://www.numbeo.com/cost-of-living/city_result.jsp?country=Australia&city=Perth .. but I have no idea how accurate that is. Some of the figures tie with what I know to be true.

I'm not sure about why you were shocked/unprepared, but I completely expect to start buying everything from scratch. I don't intend on brining over much more than clothing and a huge chunk of cash to get me started.

We had been on a visit 3 months prior to coming we brought a huge chunk of cash but also brought over all our furniture , we live in Sydney, although I earn 120,000 and my husband works part time this does not go far in Sydney , we have 4 children, I just found that even without spending on luxuries and days out there has been very little money left over after bills food and high rent prices

The chunk of cash soon ran out , not being negative as I love it here but I do feel its a lot more expensive than we anticipated

C

We didnt really research, hubby had a job to go to, which was more than he was on in the UK, for the same company , we checked out house prices and then moved. We didnt see any point comparing everything as we would be earning dollars and spending dollars.

We struggled in the UK, so it didnt really make a difference, we wanted too emigrate, so as long as we could pay the bills, the kids could eat, we were not really concerned. Not for most, but works for us LOL.

We never have any extra cash, I thought hubby was on a high wage until I compared on here, apparantly he is not!!! compared to what people claim to earn on here. On forums and groups with Aussies on, he does earn a high wage in comparisson to lots...But regardless, we love our life, so alls good..

I will be happier when I can get a job when littlest is a little older and we can afford a few holidays and luxuries though :)

When I work (more frequently now) I earn a very high wage - My hubby earns just over the national average ($80K). Admittedly we have a pretty expensive rental ($650 in Brisbane) as we were tired of living in a complete doss hole. We have very high medical bills as our son is currently sick - We pay for schooling and to run two average (paid for) cars. We have no debt. We eat well and shop at ALDI and markets, clothes come from the UK (paid for by UK account), we rarely go out and don't have expensive holidays. We eat out a couple of times a month. We take packed lunches to work. When we have money left over there is always something to spend it on - bills here for internet, power etc huge. A mini break in Melbourne coming up for hubby & I will cost around $2K for instance. It is an extraordinarily expensive country to live in - even for those that are not particularly materialistic. We had far lower relative salaries in the UK but went on at least one international holiday a year, lots of UK and European breaks. We were out at the cinema, pub, shows and days out so much more. But there was stuff we didn't need there (Foxtel, gym membership etc) which we subscribe to here as there is so much less to do (In the UK I rarely have time for telly, and love to walk in the local national park which is free). We have scope to cut down but I have come to face the fact that I cannot afford to stay here - It's a lovely country for rich folk if they own their own homes, but I genuinely don't know how a family with one earner on the average national wage survives here.

Just to add - when we came over here (8 years ago) couldn't get over how cheap everything was - I was earning just over $100K (sole earner) and we had takeaways and meals out each week, frequently went to Noosa mini breaks and could afford trips home. So something radical to affordability appears to have happened relatively recently

WOW I didnt realise the national average was so high, thought it was much lower, guess he isnt paid that well, he earns around $100k just over, we are on one wage with 4 kids. Compared to LOTS of Aussies on groups I am in, he is WELL paid in comparisson to what they earn.

When I work (more frequently now) I earn a very high wage - My hubby earns just over the national average ($80K). Admittedly we have a pretty expensive rental ($650 in Brisbane) as we were tired of living in a complete doss hole. We have very high medical bills as our son is currently sick - We pay for schooling and to run two average (paid for) cars. We have no debt. We eat well and shop at ALDI and markets, clothes come from the UK (paid for by UK account), we rarely go out and don't have expensive holidays. We eat out a couple of times a month. We take packed lunches to work. When we have money left over there is always something to spend it on - bills here for internet, power etc huge. A mini break in Melbourne coming up for hubby & I will cost around $2K for instance. It is an extraordinarily expensive country to live in - even for those that are not particularly materialistic. We had far lower relative salaries in the UK but went on at least one international holiday a year, lots of UK and European breaks. We were out at the cinema, pub, shows and days out so much more. But there was stuff we didn't need there (Foxtel, gym membership etc) which we subscribe to here as there is so much less to do (In the UK I rarely have time for telly, and love to walk in the local national park which is free). We have scope to cut down but I have come to face the fact that I cannot afford to stay here - It's a lovely country for rich folk if they own their own homes, but I genuinely don't know how a family with one earner on the average national wage survives here.

Just to add - when we came over here (8 years ago) couldn't get over how cheap everything was - I was earning just over $100K (sole earner) and we had takeaways and meals out each week, frequently went to Noosa mini breaks and could afford trips home. So something radical to affordability appears to have happened relatively recently

After a quick google, Australia's average wage for 2014 is $58k.

I took a pay drop to move to oz. I knew that before hand. We had spent a year here in 1999 before gst etc and it had been really cheap. It was a huge shock just how expensive everything was (6 years ago).

I was far better off in the uk.

Unfortunetly you try to tell people it's not so cheap here and you get lumbered into the 'you hate oz' category in their heads. Some people struggle to see that you can like a place but be a realist too.

Prices have come down since I came over which is nice. :-)

Yes I agree, its very pricey here but we still love it....

That average wage, sounds more realistic, I have friends who are managers, work for themselves and one a teacher and this is roughly what they earn.

I took a pay drop to move to oz. I knew that before hand. We had spent a year here in 1999 before gst etc and it had been really cheap. It was a huge shock just how expensive everything was (6 years ago).

I was far better off in the uk.

Unfortunetly you try to tell people it's not so cheap here and you get lumbered into the 'you hate oz' category in their heads. Some people struggle to see that you can like a place but be a realist too.

Prices have come down since I came over which is nice. :-)

I'm a sole earner on approx $70000, just myself and my 17yr old son, I live much more comfortably than I did in UK, rent is $520 have enough for takeout once a week and eat out about once a fortnight with money left over, although sow stuff more expensive some is cheaper and some on par. We've had trips away too

Yes, though total earnings for adult full time workers is around $78,000 for those who want to compare only with others adults that have a f/t job. In cities this figure would be higher as regional areas drag the numbers down. Male figures obviously higher than this as well.

http://www.abs.gov.au/ausstats/abs@.nsf/Products/6302.0~Nov+2013~Main+Features~Key+Figures?OpenDocument

Did you actually do much research? I know I earnt similar money when we were there, no kids for the most part so cheaper bills, food and I'm assuming rental costs than you. But I would think we would manage now with a couple of kids.

I have to say, this is one thing that worries me, when we come over I will be a sole earner at first - with a wife and child at home, I expect to be on a minimum $100,000 per year, most jobs I am seeing are advertising $110,000 - $120,000 for something similar to what I do in the UK - but have no idea how far this will take us. I am just hoping that I can get a job sooner rather than later (even temporary work) so that we don't have to blow all of our savings on surviving. The sooner we can get out of rented accommodation the better, and we will need those savings for the deposit, otherwise we need to start saving from scratch.

I find cost of living seriously overrated on this forum. I work a similar job with similar pay to the UK and seem to have way more money in my pocket. Everyone else seems to have more money too, while in the UK most people at work seemed to be out of money a week before payday

The only problem is living off Pounds here as the Pound is so weak (historically)

I earn between 170k and 230k depending upon contract and I find this country very expensive indeed. However, if I had a choice of where to have little surplus, it would be Australia. Our rent is 600 a week and we have two cars, two dogs, two cats and a pool. Tax is ridiculous, a quick pop into the supermarket is rarely less than 150 bucks, electricity is a rort and will continue to be, the politicians are all muppets and have run this country into the ground but i still love it here after nearly 5 years. It depends on where you live and how you want to live and what you are leaving behind in the UK.. You can live cheaply over here and still have a wonderful life.

I earn between 170k and 230k depending upon contract and I find this country very expensive indeed. However, if I had a choice of where to have little surplus, it would be Australia. Our rent is 600 a week and we have two cars, two dogs, two cats and a pool. Tax is ridiculous, a quick pop into the supermarket is rarely less than 150 bucks, electricity is a rort and will continue to be, the politicians are all muppets and have run this country into the ground but i still love it here after nearly 5 years. It depends on where you live and how you want to live and what you are leaving behind in the UK.. You can live cheaply over here and still have a wonderful life.

You have little surplus? on that salary range you have between $1600 and $2200 remaining per WEEK after you have paid your rent?

even judging by some of the high figures given here you should have plenty of surplus?

You have little surplus? on that salary range you have between $1600 and $2200 remaining per WEEK after you have paid your rent?

even judging by some of the high figures given here you should have plenty of surplus?

I didnt say "I" have little surplus, I meant that if I had a choice of where to have little, I would choose Australia over the UK :-)

We came from London so Melbourne is a lot cheaper for us, esp. rental and commute. Generally we find that Aus has a lot more options for grocery and food.

The downside is any foreign holiday would cost a lot more (no more nipping on the Eurostar for Paris!) because Aus is so separated from the rest of the world.

Typical immigrants that have no idea...Why would anyone bring cats and dogs all the way from the UK to Australia..Do you realise how much wildlife there is in Australia that neeeds help from caring people.

Instead of paying all that money to bring these cats and dogs here, which we dont need, you could help what makes Australia what it is, its wild animals and help them instead...What do you think is this a good or bad idea.??

Archived