AHPRA and why UK Diploma Nurses shouldn't bother applying

Guest TheJinkIsBack

Thanks for the quick and helpful response. It's all a pain in the neck really.

We are thinking that we would move over late 2016 so the kids can start school at the start of the school year in 2017. :-)

I've been thinking about all the ways of trying to get around AHPRA. DO you think I can apply to New Zealand to become a midwife and once they grant me registration there, then use that documentation to go in under the trans-tasmin agreement thing? Has anyone thought about doing this, and is it possible? Would I have to work in NZ to validate the registration?

I have no idea, but it seems pretty unfair to New Zealand if it is simply used as a back door to Australia.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Guest100417
Thanks for the quick and helpful response. It's all a pain in the neck really.

We are thinking that we would move over late 2016 so the kids can start school at the start of the school year in 2017. :-)

I've been thinking about all the ways of trying to get around AHPRA. DO you think I can apply to New Zealand to become a midwife and once they grant me registration there, then use that documentation to go in under the trans-tasmin agreement thing? Has anyone thought about doing this, and is it possible? Would I have to work in NZ to validate the registration?

Hi Katy,

Im not sure the route of NZ through to AU can be used anymore because I do remember looking at something like this some time back. Best advice would be to do the top up via distance learning. I'm doing it through Chester University and only took 10 months to complete so just waiting for results in the next month or 2. do 6 modules and you will be awarded a degree without honours which would be an AQF7, the minimum that we need or the dissertation would equate to an AQF8.

Hope this helps,

Tom

By the sounds of things, I was lucky to get AHPRA Registration (back in 2010) as a DipHE trained nurse.

Moving to Brisbane in December with my Aussie partner and our son. Just renewed my AHPRA registration so hoping to find work as soon as my spouse visa is granted.

Good luck to everyone who is trying to get their registration.

Hi Katy,

I agree with Tom. We've also gone the same route and my wife is completing her top-up degree with Derbyshire Online University. 4 months in, and we're half way through the course. So we're expecting that ion another 6 months she'll have completed the course. It's proven the easiest option we could have gone for.

auntieswedie*

Title

Liked

Rep

Hi fellow visa applicants. I'm still reeling from the latest changes regarding AMNAC requiring a nursing registration to pass a skills assessment. Ive been looking i to this an as a MH Diploma nurse i may have a chance at AQF 6. Howver ive looked at the application for registeation and criterion 8 is a nightmare. I dont have any way to prove that we studied pharmacology to this degree! Did anyone?? And the CPD...does anyone have info on this for the entire length of their working life. .ie 18 years? This is such a minefield. Has anyone found out how many years cpd we have to send? A definite answer would be lovely! I've been qualified 18 years and don't want to send all that...even if I could recount it. I've thrown most of my certs away as we get so many! Also anyone know about criterion 8? I am unable to prove any of this as I trained in Mental health Diploma and my university does not hold any records. I don't think we studied it to that degree!

Hi @auntieswedie - for criteria 8- I would suggest including any certificates from drug related courses/ competencies with your AHPRA application. - ie oral medication competency etc.The letter I had sent from uni only stated that I had passed a drug calculation assessment. No mention of pharmacology etc and it was all ok. Best of luck

Thank you that's great advice. My only concern is that I didn't keep my certs. I lost most of them! I think I did one about 4 years ago called medication management but that's not what they're asking for it seems. when did you apply and how long til you got registration? Are you a diploma Nurse in Mental health too? I'd love to hear more about how you did it etc and which branch of ahpra did you apply to? Thanks!!

I would send whatever you have that's related to drug calculations, competencies etc including the med management one you mentioned. I am degree trained so sorry I can't help you with the diploma side of things, although there seems to be a few others on the forum in a similar position to you that may be able to help. I sent my AHPRA end of February- got approved mid May, hope this helps x

Hi all, I am new to the forum so getting to grips with all the information about nurses migrating to Oz! I am a RGN (Adult) and have a Dip HE, working in the South West of England at the moment and have been qualified for 7 years. Obviously I can't get in on the qualifications I have but have been offered the chance to go back to uni next year to do some level 3 short courses to top up. Turns out I have already done some level 3 stuff so I only need 40 credits to get a BSC without honours or I can do a 40 credit dissertation on top and get a BSc with Hons. I am trying to work out if I need to do the dissertation or not to be passed for registraion with ANMAC/AHPRA? I would prefer to avoid doing the dissertation if I can as a) itll slow down the process by another 6-9 months and b) its going to cost me £1650 to do! We were looking at moving to Queensland, what are my chances of getting work there? I will have about a years cardiac ITU experience by the time I have done these extra courses to top up. Thanks. Teresa x

• 1 month later...

I have just bought the August 2015 edition of Australia & New Zealand magazine. Here is what it says in one of the articles,

'With immediate effect, ANMAC has issued a letter confirming that nursing diplomas are no longer accepted as suitable qualifications for migration skills assessments. The move is designed to bring ANMAC'S assessment policy into line with the Nursing and Midwifery board of Australia's and AHPRA'S policy on the acceptability of nursing diplomas'

It is rather disappointing but I'm not surprised in the slightest.

• 1 month later...
I have just bought the August 2015 edition of Australia & New Zealand magazine. Here is what it says in one of the articles,

'With immediate effect, ANMAC has issued a letter confirming that nursing diplomas are no longer accepted as suitable qualifications for migration skills assessments. The move is designed to bring ANMAC'S assessment policy into line with the Nursing and Midwifery board of Australia's and AHPRA'S policy on the acceptability of nursing diplomas'

It is rather disappointing but I'm not surprised in the slightest.

Hi Im new to this site and have been looking into emigrating to Victoria for some time only to discover recently the changes to diploma nurses. I qualified with a distinction in my diploma and contacted my Univ to be told I needed to do 120 credits to top this up to a degree. After reading some of these threads some have mentioned they only need 60 credits to top up? obviously the cost difference to top up for 60 credits compared with a 120 is quite substantial. I was all ready to submit my application having now got my 3 yrs experience which was what I thought I needed to find they've moved the goalposts to now needing us to have a degree! I had thought of doing bridging course as thought this would be quicker than top up however after speaking to a migration agent they advised I need to top up first as my skills need assessing by AHPRA before I can even start applying for my visa. ?? Going to OZ to do a top up beforehand is not an option as I have children and can't just move the off for 3months with me. Also if anyone can advise how I find out if my University allows me to top up my diploma through another cheaper University?

Any advice welcome sorry for all questions, a bemused and disappointed but very dedicated nurse!

Hi,

I was in the same boat after submitting my application in January 2014, I had a long wait to find out that AHPRA no longer accepted UK diploma nurses. I transferred my 240 diploma credits (I had a DipHE, I think you get more credits with an Advanced Diploma - so 300 credits) to the Open University, and I have just completed my top up degree. I did it full time (October-July) but there is the option of doing it over two years. I got a student loan to cover the tuition cost, and I was able to continue working full time whilst studying, although it was difficult at times!!

Now I have graduated with a 2:1 Honours degree, I am now in a position to re-look at AHPRA registration.

Hope this helps, it definitely feels like a set back, especially when ANMAC were ruling the UK diploma as equivalent to Aussie degree!

All the best - we'll get there!!

Alex x

• 5 weeks later...

Hi guys, I'm a newbie here so apologies if someone has already asked this question! I'm an adult nurse with a postgraduate diploma - in other words I did my psychology degree and then completed my nursing qualification for 2 years. There is no such thing as topping up to a BSc for me, if I were to top up I would get a masters (no bad thing but I'm not ready for more study just yet!). I suppose my question is if there are any other PGDip nurses here who have successfully passed APRAH? My application is with them now. Noone seems to know if the same rules apply to PGDips as Dip HE :wacko:

• 2 weeks later...
Hi guys, I'm a newbie here so apologies if someone has already asked this question! I'm an adult nurse with a postgraduate diploma - in other words I did my psychology degree and then completed my nursing qualification for 2 years. There is no such thing as topping up to a BSc for me, if I were to top up I would get a masters (no bad thing but I'm not ready for more study just yet!). I suppose my question is if there are any other PGDip nurses here who have successfully passed APRAH? My application is with them now. Noone seems to know if the same rules apply to PGDips as Dip HE :wacko:

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but someone on another thread has posted that they cannot meet ahpra requirements with the 2 year post grad dip

Its a real insult. Australian nurses are no more trained than U.K. nurses.

The Australian government had a parliamentary enquiry into the OET English proficiency test used by nurses to come to Austalia. Even though the report was negative, not much seemed to change. Report is here http://www.aph.gov.au/Parliamentary_Business/Committees/House_of_Representatives_Committees?url=/haa/overseasdoctors/subs.htm..gov.au

• 1 month later...
Hi,

I was in the same boat after submitting my application in January 2014, I had a long wait to find out that AHPRA no longer accepted UK diploma nurses. I transferred my 240 diploma credits (I had a DipHE, I think you get more credits with an Advanced Diploma - so 300 credits) to the Open University, and I have just completed my top up degree. I did it full time (October-July) but there is the option of doing it over two years. I got a student loan to cover the tuition cost, and I was able to continue working full time whilst studying, although it was difficult at times!!

Now I have graduated with a 2:1 Honours degree, I am now in a position to re-look at AHPRA registration.

Hope this helps, it definitely feels like a set back, especially when ANMAC were ruling the UK diploma as equivalent to Aussie degree!

All the best - we'll get there!!

Alex x

Hi just wondered if you had submitted your application to AHPRA yet since completing your Open Univ. top up course & whether they'd accepted this as equivalent qualification? Thanks

• 6 years later...
On 20/09/2015 at 10:23, Frangipane said:

Hey. So I did similar to what you did, Bsc (Hons) in Psychology and then Post Graduate Dipolma in Mental Health Nursing.

I want to apply to the APRAH but need clarification as to whether they would accept my qualifications.

From the response below I'm assuming they do not which is absolutely ridiculous!

I have 9 years experience too.