AHPRA and why UK Diploma Nurses shouldn't bother applying

Guest TheJinkIsBack

Hey guys,

like many others I've been having a nightmare with ahpra!! They've had my application since February this year, I'm on my 2nd working holiday visa and stupidly didn't put my application in until a month before I flew back over as I had no idea there was such a problem! (the website at that point still stated about 10 weeks).

In March I had an interview and got offered a job with sponsorship! I phoned ahpra and explained the situation and asked how long my rego would be. The guy I spoke to said all they were waiting on was my nmc certificate then my registration would be good to go!! So obviously I took the job and my boss was happy to wait for my rego. A couple of weeks later I hadn't heard anything and after several phonecalls someone said I don't know who told you that but it's incorrect! We are waiting for your certificate before your application is complete then it will go through to be assessed and we can't give you a time scale. I then had to wait weeks more before I got an email saying I needed further info from uni blah blah blah, probably sounds familiar!!

Anyway my boss was very very good and put me into a team leader role which I didn't have to have my rego for....I got him put as a third party on my application and he phoned several times for me and also sent a letter to say I'm employed as ahpra told me this would help! clearly untrue!

I've now just lost my job, understandably, as I'm still waiting for rego! Im registered mental health nurse with a dipHE so after reading this thread I've gone into hopeless mode again.

I've just been on the phone to ahpra to ask if having the dipHE means I would have to do a bridging course or if people are still getting registered without it! Surprisingly, they couldn't give me an answer. I got a little bit upset (exasperated rather than angry) and got put through to someone else as I explained that I couldn't afford a bridging course so this could drastically change my plans. The next person also said I had to be patient and that applications are assessed individually! She also could not tell me if dipHE nurses are still getting registered without the bridging course.......she tried to put me through to a senior case officer who obviously didn't pick up (im not sure they exist to be honest!!!) so she has left a message and promised that someone will call me back before the end of wednesday! I don't have much hope of this happening but I will call again.

Just wanted to let you know what's happening and if miraculously someone gives me an answer about the dipHE question, I will of course let you know. :)

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi,

im a Filipino trained nurse with degree,

Worked 2.5 years in renal

RN- New York, vermont USA 2011

UK Rn- 2010 through the ONP level 5 module

Working in renal in the Uk since aug 2010

certified dialysis nurse from USA-2013

advanced renal qualification UK 2012

Sent my application to Ahpra feb 2014 clueless of everything that's going on.

received my application march,

completed documents in May 2014

asked to resend uni course syllabus June 2014

and haven't heard since.

had lod from anmac 6-8-14 and filed for PR 8-8-14

i don't really know what's going to happen if I get the visa but needs to do BP again

or wait, might as well do more courses whilst waiting.

anyways I feel bad for what everyone has to go through although I'm in the same boat,

i guess if we really want it,well have to carry on. I'm not sure I'm prepared to go through another bridging programme

though.

I'm not even sure where my qualifications fall under now. In the UK Phil degree is level 5? Diploma i think

Hey guys,

like many others I've been having a nightmare with ahpra!! They've had my application since February this year, I'm on my 2nd working holiday visa and stupidly didn't put my application in until a month before I flew back over as I had no idea there was such a problem! (the website at that point still stated about 10 weeks).

In March I had an interview and got offered a job with sponsorship! I phoned ahpra and explained the situation and asked how long my rego would be. The guy I spoke to said all they were waiting on was my nmc certificate then my registration would be good to go!! So obviously I took the job and my boss was happy to wait for my rego. A couple of weeks later I hadn't heard anything and after several phonecalls someone said I don't know who told you that but it's incorrect! We are waiting for your certificate before your application is complete then it will go through to be assessed and we can't give you a time scale. I then had to wait weeks more before I got an email saying I needed further info from uni blah blah blah, probably sounds familiar!!

Anyway my boss was very very good and put me into a team leader role which I didn't have to have my rego for....I got him put as a third party on my application and he phoned several times for me and also sent a letter to say I'm employed as ahpra told me this would help! clearly untrue!

I've now just lost my job, understandably, as I'm still waiting for rego! Im registered mental health nurse with a dipHE so after reading this thread I've gone into hopeless mode again.

I've just been on the phone to ahpra to ask if having the dipHE means I would have to do a bridging course or if people are still getting registered without it! Surprisingly, they couldn't give me an answer. I got a little bit upset (exasperated rather than angry) and got put through to someone else as I explained that I couldn't afford a bridging course so this could drastically change my plans. The next person also said I had to be patient and that applications are assessed individually! She also could not tell me if dipHE nurses are still getting registered without the bridging course.......she tried to put me through to a senior case officer who obviously didn't pick up (im not sure they exist to be honest!!!) so she has left a message and promised that someone will call me back before the end of wednesday! I don't have much hope of this happening but I will call again.

Just wanted to let you know what's happening and if miraculously someone gives me an answer about the dipHE question, I will of course let you know. :)

Hey megs, how are you getting on? I don't want to be the bearer of bad news but it would appear AHPRA have pretty much confirmed a UK Diploma will not be accepted on their Twitter page. Have you any other options? Come back to the UK for 12 months, get a top up degree done, save some more and fly out on a sponsored or temporary visa? It's tragic what they are doing to peoples lives. I have a friend in exactly your position in Brisbane. I hope things work out for you.

Hey Jac thanks for your response I appreciate that. I'm baffled that they would put it on twitter but not tell me over the phone the last three times ive called!!!

surprise surprise I didn't get a call back! So I phoned again yesterday but couldn't get through to a case officer. The girl I spoke to though was marginally more helpful than others. She said she couldn't give me a clear answer as they weren't even told and I would just have to wait for my decision from the board. But she did say from her experience that they were turning down DipHE nurses from other countries such as India, Germany and Philippines but that sometimes the UK is a different story so don't give up hope just yet!! That seems crazy to me though and I'm not holding any hope for that. Im just gutted as this has been my dream for so many years and I feel like this year has just been a waste of time and stress when I could have been putting my effort into other avenues! Ah well.

Going home and topping up is an option. I've also heard that others applying through ANMAC are getting PR based on their international qualification without having to be registered with AHPRA?! It's a crazy system!!

'To be eligible for registration, your qualification must be assessed to be substantially equivalent to a Board-approved Australian qualification. For example, for registered nurses this must be equivalent to a bachelor degree as defined in the Australian Qualification Framework (AQF) Level 7'

Just found this on their website which they've just updated! So yes it is completely confirmed as DipHE is AQF 6! Boooooo :(

I still just can't get my head around how they don't think a 3 year course in mental health with 6 different placement areas is not good enough to be a mental health nurse here?! and the fact that they don't take into consideration any post grad experience. I guess it's more just a way to cut down the amount of internationals applying?!

megs if I can be of any assistance... I am not sure if this is an option:

http://www.nursingmidwiferyboard.gov.au/News/2014-08-15-media-release.aspx

It only got posted by ANMAC this morning but may be worth you emailing them as it looks like they are going to start investigating those stuck by the changes. First hopeful thing I have seen since all this changed.

megs if I can be of any assistance... I am not sure if this is an option:

http://www.nursingmidwiferyboard.gov.au/News/2014-08-15-media-release.aspx

It only got posted by ANMAC this morning but may be worth you emailing them as it looks like they are going to start investigating those stuck by the changes. First hopeful thing I have seen since all this changed.

Last few days there has been a lot of discussion on the radio following St John's revelation that they are shipping in a lot of Irish nurses, some of which might be stuck in the registration quagmire. I heard a guy from AHPRA being grilled last night, trying to justify the changes. I think all this has happened without the government minister for Health knowing much about it and he sounded pretty embarrassed when he was on a few days ago. He says they are going to sort it out and get AHPRA moving. Would be nice to think he's true to his word.

Good sign that it's getting a bit of air time though.

You know megs0187, we can relate to your frustration. My wife has Dip in MH nursing, qualified in '03, and since she and the kids joined at the start of this year, she's been struggling to get registered with AHPRA. I've got a BSc and have been working here for the last 2 years, so at least we can still apply for our PR on my sole basis (which we've just done), but we're seriously contemplating her returning to the UK for a year and just go do the top-up the degree. No doubt that move will also be quite an expense in its own right as it'll mean her going home with our 2 y.o. daughter leaving me with the 2 older boys, and then them coming back here every few months...but the things we've got to do settle in new lands hey.

Thanks guys, all very helpful even if its just to have a whinge to someone who understands!! My poor house mate is sick of it haha! It really is all such a joke, they were quick enough to take my money off me back in January!! I wonder if I'll get that back? I feel a bit sick of it all at the moment, I don't have a partner or anybody that I am desperate to stay here for so I'm feeling a bit stubborn about it all haha! I don't want to jump through hoops for them....I'm a bloody good nurse and I'll just take it back to the drawing board and start a new adventure somewhere else :)

Globetrotter, could your wife not do the bridging course here rather than all the upheaval of having to go home!? Does sound very stressful and costly for you :/

You know megs0187, we can relate to your frustration. My wife has Dip in MH nursing, qualified in '03, and since she and the kids joined at the start of this year, she's been struggling to get registered with AHPRA. I've got a BSc and have been working here for the last 2 years, so at least we can still apply for our PR on my sole basis (which we've just done), but we're seriously contemplating her returning to the UK for a year and just go do the top-up the degree. No doubt that move will also be quite an expense in its own right as it'll mean her going home with our 2 y.o. daughter leaving me with the 2 older boys, and then them coming back here every few months...but the things we've got to do settle in new lands hey.

I heard the guy from AHPRA say that there are bridging courses that are available and acceptable for someone wanting to get registered here. Would be an awful lot cheaper and less hassle than moving back to the UK for a while. If the courses are recommended and designed by AHPRA I would think that they would have a hard time turning down registration if you went that route.

• 1 month later...

I actually had an email from ahpra this week to say that under the new guidelines I wouldn't get registered but because I score highly in all the other criteria they are going to register me with a condition that I am supervised by a manager for 12 months!! Don't really understand that as I've been qualified and working in mental health now for 5 years but hey, whatever makes them feel better!!

Aaahhhh its been such a long anf stressful wait I'm just so relieved it's finally all over! I hope others are also getting some sort of positive outcome :)

Hi Meg's am I right in thinking that Diploma nurses in mental health can now apply, I have 12 years experience as a

RMN , I really can't be bothered doing top up degree but am worried I won't get employment in Ozzie if I don't,

also have other members done all of their immigration stuff before applying to aphra as this is what my immigration

officer has told me? Cheers in advance

Hi Almack,

Unfortunately if ahpra doesn't already have your application for assessment they won't register you. They are no longer accepting anything less than AQF 7 which is a bachelor degree! Sorry for the news :/

Although if they do already have your application they may give you a conditional rego like I've just been offered. Hope that helps...

I can fully understand your frustration & annoyance but has anyone actually been refused registration or been given the condition of doing a bridging programme since the new criteria was introduced? Or is it still speculation that those with a diploma will be refused?

I have been refused registration because I have a Dip HE and have been advised to sit the bridging course at a cost of $10,000. I am already in Sydney!

What I do not understand is..... If the rules changed in February and they know that the Diploma does not meet their requirements why it takes 5 months to inform people!! Surely someone must look at the application form when It is submitted and can read the qualification box and realize it is not appropriate, inform you and give you your money back!! They informed me of this at 7pm on Friday night which was kind of them it being a bank holiday weekend therefore could not contact anyone to get advice about my next steps! I have already been here 6 week and have no idea what to do now!!

It's awful isn't it!!! I don't think they realise just how much it's been effecting people's lives!! When I applied it stated 8-10 weeks so I arrived in Australia and then 8 months of emotion later I sort of get an answer! What I don't understand now is how they're are hand picking some of the DipHE nurses and not others?! I'm obviously very fortunate to be one of those people but I actually feel like telling them to stick it now haha!!

Nope.....definitely not speculation.

I was offered a post in WA May 2013 and accepted. All relevant certificates of education, nursing qualification and post registration qualifications collated, certified and submitted to my prospective employer. Sadly the company did not submit my application to AHPRA until after we left the UK and arrived in Perth for my husband to start his position.

The application was sent in later October, after a couple of weeks back and forth by email, additional requests from AHPRA for more information and documentation from the NMC including a transcription of my Registered General Nurse Training, my application went on hold..........there it stayed until June 2014 pending the assessment process against the new framework.

In July I received a letter stating a proposal to refuse registration.

An initial application to reason my extensive post registration education and 23 years of experience was met with a point blank refusal to registration on 22nd September 2014, not even an offer to support bridging.

Therefore if you don't have a qualification equivalent to a Bachelor of Science, ie if you are old school, non diploma, non degree, then your RGN stands for nothing here, regardless of experience. The process is to apply to the State Administrative Tribunal at your own cost and go to mediation........$10,000 upwards..........

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All. Received e-mail from APHRA and my application has been rejected as I'm also Diploma. It has taken them a whole year to inform me after lots of e-mail conversations. I have been offered a bridging program. If I complete it within a year of the rejection letter I can re-apply. I know things don't look hopeful but my question is ... Does anyone know if there is any British equivalent that they would accept ? Top up Degree??