If you had to pick one place in the UK...

Aunt Agatha

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I know there are going to be a million different opinions on this one. But if you had to pick one village/town/city (or part of a city) in the UK, which would it be and why?

I'm looking for inspiration in case our planned Northumberland move doesn't pan out.

(I did start a thread about Harrogate being voted the happiest place in the UK but it got moved before I could turn it into this sort of post LOL).

Solihull ....where iam .....love it .......proximity to motorways , decent schools and housing , great facilities and some quality places on our doorstep ( stratford , Cotswolds, Worcester) , 2 hrs to London on a fantastic train service .

the airport is 20 mins away , direct flights to Europe and oz if needed

Solihull ....where iam .....love it .......proximity to motorways , decent schools and housing , great facilities and some quality places on our doorstep ( stratford , Cotswolds, Worcester) , 2 hrs to London on a fantastic train service .

the airport is 20 mins away , direct flights to Europe and oz if needed

solihull is brilliant for motorway links, airpot, NEC which showsa the biggest acts and shows.

I had relatives in Knowle, just outside Solihull. Lovely area, though the Brummy accents takes some getting used to. Too far away from the sea though for me.

If they are from knowle , they aint Brummies I can assure you ....but I know what you mean ........in relation to living by the sea ...I had the offer to work out of Devon .

I would have chosen Croyde , but I looked at the reality ,( ( the isolation , infrastructure , things to do in the winter) it was a no brainer to stay here in Solihull ......we don't have the sea , or blue skies ...but we have everything else ......and some

solihull is brilliant for motorway links, airpot, NEC which showsa the biggest acts and shows.

just as a note to anyone visiting the NEC and staying over .....the NEC is actually in Solihull .......Solihull town centre is much closer , than Birmingham city centre ....stay in Solihull

I had relatives in Knowle, just outside Solihull. Lovely area, though the Brummy accents takes some getting used to. Too far away from the sea though for me.

the sea never bothered me to be honest, I prefer places that are just isolated and you do not see another soul for hours on a walk, derbyshire also being a favourite of mine.

the sea never bothered me to be honest, I prefer places that are just isolated and you do not see another soul for hours on a walk, derbyshire also being a favourite of mine.

PB ...I love the sea ....I love visiting , the freshness , the feeling of freedom, that lift you get , it takes a few years off you ....I just don't want to make it priority n0 1 in my life .....as iam getting older , I realise I haven't got 30 yrs of mobility left ....the associated heat isn't as attractive now either .......I want to do more of western Europe , whilst iam in decent shape

Sorrento ,the Italian lakes, amalfi coast , milan , Barcelona , a tour of france ......that will do

You can't beat Bath. World heritage site, gorgeous buildings, beautiful scenery, stacks of cultural events & you can walk from one side to the other. 13 miles from Bristol, 1.5 hours from London, an hour from Cardiff.

I agree with Gin100 - we'd love to live in Bath, bit pricey though! So many lovely places, Devon, Cornwall, Lake District...and still iso many places I never even got to before I left. When we get home, I'm taking my little girl everywhere :) x

Unless your realy well off,and can afford to pay £500,000,for a house in the country there isn't any.And you still have to put up with the terrible weather.The Winter is even worse,perptual darkness from 3pm.Then there's the EU Rules and regulations,the UK follow what the EU dishes out to the letter.We live in A village in Tyne and wear.Theres rubbish lying arround everywhere,plastic bags blowing in the wind from hedges and trees,the locals call Asda Trees.I had forgot it rains so much,it hasn't stopped since we have been back 7 months ago.Only a few days of sunshine,the Brits then strip to the waist, when they get a glimse of any sunshine.it's realy funny,the TV warns everyone about UV rays in the 20 degree heat Next day it's like winter.If you have any real money leave it in your bank in Aus.As you won't get any interest on it here.In the North East,thieves are stealing Everything metal,even the railway lines,storm water drain lids,sewerage lids, Houses stripped of pipes,boilers,radiators,even the tiles off the roof,it's serious in Gateshead.Everyone has to do,what they think best,We are on our way back,as soon as we sell up.Yeah we thought things would be better if we got into our own house.WRONG.Sitting looking out the window,it's raining buckets.Can't watch TV as we saw most rubbish thats on 30 years ago.Everything is repeated,even the same day.And it costs £145p/a to watch.

Unless your realy well off,and can afford to pay £500,000,for a house in the country there isn't any.And you still have to put up with the terrible weather.The Winter is even worse,perptual darkness from 3pm.Then there's the EU Rules and regulations,the UK follow what the EU dishes out to the letter.We live in A village in Tyne and wear.Theres rubbish lying arround everywhere,plastic bags blowing in the wind from hedges and trees,the locals call Asda Trees.I had forgot it rains so much,it hasn't stopped since we have been back 7 months ago.Only a few days of sunshine,the Brits then strip to the waist, when they get a glimse of any sunshine.it's realy funny,the TV warns everyone about UV rays in the 20 degree heat Next day it's like winter.If you have any real money leave it in your bank in Aus.As you won't get any interest on it here.In the North East,thieves are stealing Everything metal,even the railway lines,storm water drain lids,sewerage lids, Houses stripped of pipes,boilers,radiators,even the tiles off the roof,it's serious in Gateshead.Everyone has to do,what they think best,We are on our way back,as soon as we sell up.Yeah we thought things would be better if we got into our own house.WRONG.Sitting looking out the window,it's raining buckets.Can't watch TV as we saw most rubbish thats on 30 years ago.Everything is repeated,even the same day.And it costs £145p/a to watch.

This was supposed to be a positive thread I think..

The sooner XXX XX XXX,the better for everyone i think,what a XXXXXXXXX XXXXXXX you are!

(edited by NWM - Let's just say I don't think Pablo thinks much of your post)

xxxxxxx hell!!

I hope the house you're selling isn't in Gateshead, you'll never get shot of it!

Archived