Medicare but not as we know it!

Guest The Pom Queen

Guest The Pom Queen

MEDICARE as we know it would end, with bulk billing scrapped and those earning over $88,000 denied benefits under a health revolution proposed by the government’s Audit Commission.

Families and general consumers would pay $15 to see a doctor, have a blood test or x-ray under the audit commission’s reforms to rein in the cost of health care.

Pensioners and concession card holders would be charged $5 for these services.

After 15 services a year the charges would drop to $7.50 for general consumers and $2.50 for pensioners.

Under the proposed changes a visit to the doctor, a blood test to diagnose the illness and a prescription to cure it would burn a $72 hole in the pocket of a general consumer.

A pensioner would face a $16 charge for the same medical care.

Universal health care would be axed with two million individuals earning over $88,000 and families earning over $176,000 removed from Medicare, under the highly-controversial Audit Commission recommendation.

They would be forced to buy health insurance that covered public and private hospital and GP care.

These individuals and families would also be denied the 30 per cent private health insurance rebate, and slugged with a Medicare levy surcharge of up to 3.5 per cent if they did not belong to a health fund.

Audit Commission chief Tony Shepherd told News Corp Australia if they were no longer receiving Medicare benefits an argument could be made that these higher income earners should no longer have to pay the Medicare levy.

http://www.perthnow.com.au/lifestyle/health/families-should-pay-15-to-see-a-doctor-audit-commission/story-fnhlcxz9-1226902595152

It was a much better system before medicare. Then everyone who worked paid for private medical benefits and that was it. No levies or gaps. Now people pay the levy, private health cover and the funds are not allowed to pay the total bill. I got money back from my health fund when I had my third son because I paid top cover and they didn't have a private room available at the time.

As many I always knew that this PM is not good for this country.

I suppose 15 bucks to see a GP, getting a blood test done, prescription is just the beginning. Once they start to introduce it, we'll all see a continuous rise in the fees about time.

And kicking people out of the system over 80,000 is unfair and how can we be sure that they not lowering the threshold, either?

As many I always knew that this PM is not good for this country.

I suppose 15 bucks to see a GP, getting a blood test done, prescription is just the beginning. Once they start to introduce it, we'll all see a continuous rise in the fees about time.

And kicking people out of the system over 80,000 is unfair and how can we be sure that they not lowering the threshold, either?

Dont forget the increase in income tax, no pension until you are 70 if born after 1965, means tested for pension on owned property, forced to take out private health insurance- by the way thats not a surprise as Australia is a registered corporation in the US of A...On and on it goes..Australia is a stunning country, absolutely beautiful, but economically there is no point in coming here, as we have tyrants and traitors ruining this country that cannot be trusted with anything...I moved to Tasmania 2 years ago and Iam looking to leave Australia as Iam not willing to pay more tax and not willing to take out private health insurance no matter what..SE Asia is looking very attractive and then I can tell the Oz Govt to stick their taxed on world wide income up the orifices..

No one voted them in..It was already decided before election..they are all in it together puppets on strings..actors trained to look stupid in public, to confuse the population with their idiotic chaos..Australia a registered corporation of the USA..Makes you think doesnt it..

No one voted them in..It was already decided before election..they are all in it together puppets on strings..actors trained to look stupid in public, to confuse the population with their idiotic chaos..Australia a registered corporation of the USA..Makes you think doesnt it..

My in laws (pensionsrs) are died in the wool LNP voters. Like lambs to the slaughter.

They also had NO idea what was/is being done in their name by this govt with regard to asylum seekers, imprisoning children, referring to them by numbers rather than names etc. It was the bishop of their parish who opened their eyes to the shocking truth

Oh dear. Sounds like it could be quite difficult financially if you have any pre existing conditions (as I do).

Healthcare has always been a concern of mine with regards to making the move in a couple of years, but research suggests it would be possible.

i have a managable chronic disease but private insurance to cover regular blood tests, repeat prescriptions, and visits to an endo all with my increased risk for heart disease, renal dysfunction and retinopathy =$$$$$$$

I suppose it will all come out in the wash over time, fingers crossed an acceptable compromise can be met.

The NHS is on the verge of charging people for docs appointments (in addition to National Insurance payments) and looks close to collapsing so this may become a necessary (?) evil on both sides of the pond :'(

The Audit report is nothing more than a shopping list of ideas. I think I'll wait to see what measures are actually handed down in the budget.

I do remember though that before Medibank (the front runner of Medicare) was introduced we had private insurance which covered 100% of all medical costs including doctors. However since it's introduction we now pay Medicare levies, private insurance and gap fees and effectively subsidise people who could and should pay their own way but don't.

I don't mind paying to see the Dr (do now as not bulk billing), but I don't think we should pay for blood tests which aid diagnosis. I have to have some genetic blood tests (not bulk billed) and because they were all on the same form I got a bill for everything and had to claim a refund back from medicare.

Guest The Pom Queen
I don't mind paying to see the Dr (do now as not bulk billing), but I don't think we should pay for blood tests which aid diagnosis. I have to have some genetic blood tests (not bulk billed) and because they were all on the same form I got a bill for everything and had to claim a refund back from medicare.

I had the gastric emptying one done a few weeks back and it cost $1000 and we struggled to find the money. I really don't know how this will affect us or should I say me, so will be watching closely.

I had the gastric emptying one done a few weeks back and it cost $1000 and we struggled to find the money. I really don't know how this will affect us or should I say me, so will be watching closely.

I meant to say had to have (past tense) for mine. Nowhere near as much as yours though.

Guest Dave53
Anyone who voted this mob in should hang their head in shame

Have you noticed what a rare breed the are ? .. Its amazing I haven't met anyone who admits to voting for this mob since the election ..

Dave C

Guest Finalproof
Australia is starting to look less and less attractive bey the day..

You think?

I have already stated in an earlier post how I believed that the old system of private cover was much better. I'll give you two examples to compare. Early eighties, before the Labor government interfered with what health funds could pay, it was discovered that I had been born with only one kidney and it was damaged. I had an operation at RNS in Sydney performed by their head of surgery. My medical Benefits paid for everything including follow up consultations, scans etc. Did not cost me a cent. Fast forward to December 2013 when I had to have open heart surgery to replace the aortic valve. After rebates, the fees for surgeon, xrays, scans, lung drain and follow up consultations etc has so far cost me almost $4k. and I expect at least another $200 this week. Perhaps now you will understand why I am all for the old health system. Mr Whitlam should have left well enough alone!

Anyone who voted this mob in should hang their head in shame

I'm not hanging my head in shame! You are conveniently forgetting who got the country into this mess in the first place. Please don't say we have less debt than most first World countries and don't blame the GFC. The country was debt free in 2006. Didn't take Labor long to fix that.

My in laws (pensionsrs) are died in the wool LNP voters. Like lambs to the slaughter.

They also had NO idea what was/is being done in their name by this govt with regard to asylum seekers, imprisoning children, referring to them by numbers rather than names etc. It was the bishop of their parish who opened their eyes to the shocking truth

How insulting you are to your in laws. Could it be that they have lived in Australia longer than you and have more experience of what life is like under governments of differing ideologies?

Archived