New Job - Offering to pay for my own sponsorship

Fi Dunphy

Hey all,

I've just moved over to Aus on the Working Holiday visa. I'm applying for permanent jobs, and have been told by one interviewer that I could offer to pay for my own sponsorship. Two questions:

How much would it cost me to pay for my own sponsorship?

What does a company need to do/have in order to be eligible to sponsor an employee?

Any links to the relevant info on the net would be brilliant!

Thanks in advance,

Fi

Hi Fi

Could you offer a few more details? What occupation are you applying under? is it on the CSOL or SOL? are you looking for PR?

Eligibility depends on a few things - both employer and yourself, and this can vary depending on what kind of visa you are hoping to apply for.

Assuming it qualified, if you've just arrived and decided to do this you are then tied to that job. The WHV gives you the opportunity to explore , if you do sponsorship you couldn't do this and assuming after that expense, you stay in that role over a year, unless you eventually got PR (so you'd be in that job for 4 years?) you wouldn't get that opportunity again. If your goal is to emigrate to Aus long term and settle rather than travel great, but if not, is it worth giving up that 'free' year so soon?

All the info about eligibility is on the immi website :)

Also, I think they can terminate the role fairly easily so I'd want plenty of reassurance that's not going to happen after you've invested. They'd have nothing to lose and if they did so after a year you'd have (I think) 3 months to find another sponsor or you'd be out.

Not sure where you are getting the whole 4 year thing from Britpop? sorry, struggling to follow... If the OP was eligible there is no reason why a company couldn't immediately sponsor for the 186 PR visa, giving residency straight away, therefore not being tied to anyone really - especially if she pays all costs herself. No 4 year requirement there. For the 457, yes, obvious ties to the sponsoring company then.

If you're talking about paying for sponsorship for a 457 visa, the following is taken from page 18 of the 457 booklet:

http://www.immi.gov.au/allforms/booklets/books9.pdf

Obligation not to recover, transfer or take actions that would result in a primary sponsored

person or secondary sponsored person paying certain costs

Sponsors must not recover, or seek to take any action that would result in primary or secondary

sponsored person(s) paying all or part of the following costs:

•the costs (including migration agent costs) that relate specifically to the recruitment of the primary

sponsored person

•the costs (including migration agent costs) associated with becoming or being an approved sponsor

or being a former approved sponsor.

Sponsors are also required to pay certain costs associated with becoming a sponsor and not pass these

costs, in any form, onto a sponsored person. These include:

•cost of sponsorship and nomination charges

•migration agent costs associated with the lodgement of sponsorship and nomination applications

•administrative costs and any sundry costs an employer incurs when they conduct recruitment

exercises, including:

– recruitment agent fees

– migration agent fees

– the cost of job advertising

–screening of candidates, short listing, interviews and reference checks

–salaries of recruitment or human resource staff

– the cost of outsourcing background checks, police checks and psychological testing where

they relate to an employer determining an applicant’s suitability for the position

– training of new staff

– responding to queries for prospective candidates, and advising unsuccessful applicants

– travel costs for the sponsor to interview and/or meet the applicant either overseas or in Australia.

How long does this obligation apply for?

This obligation starts to apply on the day the sponsor is approved as a standard business sponsor or the

day the labour agreement commences.

This obligation ends 2 years after the following 2 events have occurred:

• the approved standard business sponsorship or the labour agreement ceases, and

• there are no primary or secondary sponsored persons in relation to the sponsor.

I don't think there are similar restrictions on 186 ENS and 187 RSMS sponsored visas.

Technically it is illegal for a business to ask you to pay for it. I have come across it, but it should ring alarm bells that a company is wiling to break the law.

Next, do you qualify for sponsorship? Are they able to sponsor - not every company can?

Hey all,

I've just moved over to Aus on the Working Holiday visa. I'm applying for permanent jobs, and have been told by one interviewer that I could offer to pay for my own sponsorship. Two questions:

How much would it cost me to pay for my own sponsorship?

What does a company need to do/have in order to be eligible to sponsor an employee?

Any links to the relevant info on the net would be brilliant!

Thanks in advance,

Fi

It depends what you are applying for.

If it is for a subclass 457, the company cannot pass the costs of the sponsorship and nomination applications to you.

If it is for ENS, then yes, you can pay for all of the costs.

To be able to sponsor the job needs to be on the sol or csol. You need to he qualified to a certain level and have a certain level if experience, this differs for each job. Google the job code to find the bare minimum.

The company then has to have a certain turnover, have a certain number of permanent staff, spend a certain amount on training each year and far more important, prove they can't find an Aussie to fill the job.

Most people (not all) on a whv would not be eligable.