Going to buy a Jeep

Sustain

Well depending if the price being offered is ok, looking at <$70k on the road.

So next step is a bigger boat, camper trailer and tracks too explore

Any others have any feedback on the overland model with the new 8 speed and the 3L diesel.

Any others have any feedback on the overland model with the new 8 speed and the 3L diesel.

jump onto www.ausjeepoffroad.com.au

they are all jeep owners/fanatics from early willy's to the latest Grands. You will find all the pro's and con's plus what sort of prices new owners are being offered at the moment.

I love the new models they have at the moment, and would love to look at updating the wifes car to a Laredo or overland.

Edited by furkew

Those annoying adverts have have worn you down, then?

I'm sure it would be great. I'd test drive a Toyota Landcruiser too if you want to do a lot of off road stuff.

Jeep is good off road too.

I was just talking generally that for me it sounds a lot to spend on a new car, but of course all relative to your budget.

Actually my ex just bought a new Jeep like the one you described. I think for about $55K new.

I'm sure it would be great. I'd test drive a Toyota Landcruiser too if you want to do a lot of off road stuff.

Jeep is good off road too.

I was just talking generally that for me it sounds a lot to spend on a new car, but of course all relative to your budget.

Actually my ex just bought a new Jeep like the one you described. I think for about $55K new.

Yes, your comments were well intended and sorry if I appeared to rebuff them.

I used to have a land cruiser and have had a number of 4wd including defenders and rovers.

• 3 weeks later...

We've been looking at the Grand Cherokee, but the Limited rather than the Overland model. It shares a lot of bits with the Mercedes M class and I'm not sure if that's a good thing or a bad thing in terms of reliability. I love the look of the Jeep, the engine and gearbox but I can't get over my prejudice that Jeeps are poorly built and things that look nice on leaving the showroom turn in to tat a few months down the line. I'm also scared of huge bills once the warranty expires as there is a lot to go wrong. Is this justified?

We've been looking at the Grand Cherokee, but the Limited rather than the Overland model. It shares a lot of bits with the Mercedes M class and I'm not sure if that's a good thing or a bad thing in terms of reliability. I love the look of the Jeep, the engine and gearbox but I can't get over my prejudice that Jeeps are poorly built and things that look nice on leaving the showroom turn in to tat a few months down the line. I'm also scared of huge bills once the warranty expires as there is a lot to go wrong. Is this justified?

Having experienced a Jeep and a Toyota Land Cruiser (along with a LR and a RR), I'd go the latter every time personally. I found the Jeep shocking off road on the farm. (hilly, muddy and all that). Also found reliability not as good. Nice car on the road but still would go an LC over a Jeep. Really comes down to budget and intended use I guess.

No personal experience of big 4 wheel drives but have 3 friends had jeeps. All liked them when they first got them but all had loads of problems and they had to go back to be fixed, mostly under warranty, a few times. One had loads of problems with the aircon and every time it went in they had to dismantle the dash to get at the problem, never really got fixed to his satisfaction. Another friends electric windows in the back packed in and they had to replace the motors. They have all got rid of them now and got other 4 wheel drives.

I guess they look a decent price for a reason. I have a Nissan X-Trail, done 196,000 and I've had one problem where I had the camshaft timing sensor replaced. I know it's not in the same league as a Cherokee but if I had the choice of a company car I reckon I would go for something else. Maybe Pathfinder or Patrol.

Having said all that here's a review that comes down well in favour of the Jeep.

http://www.carsguide.com.au/news-and-reviews/car-reviews-road-tests/nissan_pathfinder_ti550_vs_jeep_grand_cherokee

Edited by Paul1Perth

Apart from the turning circle, the best non military off-road vehicle is Land Rover. We have a 2000 Discovery with 360k on the clock and it has been everywhere and has not missed a beat.

I have a jeep JK, my son has a jeep TJ and I know dozens of mates with jk's, jku's, TJ's, grands and even SRT8's and they are all very happy campers.

offroad a Tj & JK without modifications will go anywhere a land cruiser can go, and I have had to recover plenty of land rovers, land cruisers, prado's etc where I have had no issues (mine is heavily modified and still well below $60k). The big difference with the jeeps is that they cost a lot less than most of the other brands, but you need to modify them to with non jeep aftermarket parts to make even more capable. The biggest disadvantage with most jeeps is fuel consumption and space.

A landcruiser can cost up to over $100k and a top of the range JKU Rubicon with lockers, sway bar disconnects etc under $60k.

The new Grands have a very good reputation, and although they do have issues (like all other cars), the Jeep warranty service is excellent.

At the end of the day, "its a jeep thing" :) You love them or hate them.

Of course the vast majority of 4WDs never leave the bitumin.

But the yummy mummy's love dropping off the kids at school in them.

Very true, most never get to need 4wd........used to call them Chelsea tractors in the UK

Guest Guest40285
Of course the vast majority of 4WDs never leave the bitumin.

But the yummy mummy's love dropping off the kids at school in them.

Always got a smart ass answer dont ya ? My fourby goes in 4wd every day

Very true, most never get to need 4wd........used to call them Chelsea tractors in the UK

No yummy mummy's or Chelsea tractors on this track.

5y2a9uza.jpg

I don't live in the CBD so everybody I know has a 4by for on the farm. Towing the camper trailer or caravan or going for a few off-road adventures.