Moving back to uk questions

Auslish

Hi

I need some advice. I am British, been living in Aus for 10 years. Hubby is Aussie. We met on holiday and I moved over here. We now have 4 children ranging in ages from 8yrs-16 months.

we have always said we would like to go back to live but it has just never happened and now I think I really need to go back to try it. We don't have much family help here and it is hard dealing with the children by myself as hubby works long hours. Plus I want my family to know my children and get to spend time with them, my family are very involved with the children as far as they can be living half a world away whereas hubby's family (ie his parents) aren't. They live 10 minutes up the road and never contact us and they have only seen my eldest less than half a dozen times.

So even though it will be a hard decision to leave I think that we will have a better quality of life over there as far as having support goes.

We live in Inner Sydney and can only afford to rent, we will never be able to afford a house in this area.

My children should be eligible for a British passport shouldn't they? What would we have to do for hubby to enter the UK? I thought he could enter but that he isn't allowed to work for 6 months or is this wrong?

looking forward to your replies

thanks

Hi Auslish, Your children will be eligible for British passports by descent (I think) - You should check out the passport info page for the UK. your husband will have to apply for a spouse visa. you should check out the Uk immigration webpage. I am sure many people on here will have experience of doing this so hold on and they will be along soon.

This may well be a difficult one. In 2012 the rules around uk spouse/partner visas changed. You now need to be earning a certain amount, or have substantial savings to sponsor your partner. Have a look on the uk border agency site. I will try and find the links for you

https://contact-ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/visas-immigration/partners-families/

Also have a look through old threads in this section of pio

As the others have said - your kids will be fine, just apply for their passports, Form C2

Your husband is a different kettle of fish! If he has a UK born parent or grandparent then you are OK - for a UK born parent, he can apply for citizenship in his own right (bit more complicated) or if he has a UK born grandparent then he can apply for an Ancestry visa. If none of those, then does he have a Europe born parent or ancestor that may make him eligible for an EU passport? If none of those then you are going to have to sponsor him on a spouse visa and that will mean either getting a job netting you £18.5K or savings of £62.5k - trickier proposition altogether.

Good luck!

Auslish everything Quoll said is correct we my partner and i in same situation as you. Only i'm the Aussie he's the English born. We are currently working towards meeting the income/saving requirement to enable a spouse visa for me. It's a difficult place to be but it is what is. We have no other option as i don't qualify for any other visa sadly. Good luck with your situation.

I went back for a holiday last sept 2013.While it was nice to catch up with friends and family it was all doom and gloom , i was astonished as to just how many shops had closed down and the town where im from had become a ghost town.Shame for everyone who lives there , i was just greatful to know i was coming back home to Australia, its been good for my family were happy and there is still so much to see learn and do , England is just not what it used to be , yes it is steeped in history but that DOES NOT PAY THE BILLS life is hard for the folk back in the UK , dont be fooled to think you will pick up a decent job just like that people are loosing there jobs still every single day , my family say to us we defo made the right move when we did comming out here , yes its been hard , yes we do still rent our home , no were not loaded , but i know my husbands job is safe and we can live and enjoy things .Its everyones decision but seriously before you commit yourself DO YOUR REASERCH first .gOOD lUCK

I went back for a holiday last sept 2013.While it was nice to catch up with friends and family it was all doom and gloom , i was astonished as to just how many shops had closed down and the town where im from had become a ghost town.Shame for everyone who lives there , i was just greatful to know i was coming back home to Australia, its been good for my family were happy and there is still so much to see learn and do , England is just not what it used to be , yes it is steeped in history but that DOES NOT PAY THE BILLS life is hard for the folk back in the UK , dont be fooled to think you will pick up a decent job just like that people are loosing there jobs still every single day , my family say to us we defo made the right move when we did comming out here , yes its been hard , yes we do still rent our home , no were not loaded , but i know my husbands job is safe and we can live and enjoy things .Its everyones decision but seriously before you commit yourself DO YOUR REASERCH first .gOOD lUCK

That's a shame your family and friends are still finding the UK really hard. My family are finding life in the UK much easier than Australia..... they go to Spain twice a year, seems to be lots more work now and my youngest nephew has just bought his own little flat something the kids of Australia would find almost impossible these days. They will all be fine out there ! :yes:

A very sweeping statement about an entire country based on ones ex town

I don't know anyone without a job in my part of the UK (South East). House prices are booming (Which I find very irritating even though I still own my house ), kids are doing it tough ex University (as they are here). Everyone I know goes on more than one holiday a year (and it ain't camping), mini breaks, trips out etc....I am contracting here in Aus and we swing from being comfortable to being skint. I actually would prefer to have a stable income and be able to plan stuff. People seem to be receiving health care (free!), and getting an education (with some braver youngsters trying out uni's in the wider EU). Sure some of my UK mates moan about it 'going to the dogs' but I can't see evidence from the SE and it doesn't stop them popping to Maldives/Barbados/Florida etc - There was a food bank set up in my (quite wealthy) village, which I think is an absolute scandal and I despise the austerity drive but there are many many very poor people in Australia doing it tough - and lots that us city dwellers never get to see.

Sorry to hear that you felt it was all doom and gloom where you used to live - certainly not like that around here, it's positively buzzing and now that Spring is here it's amazing. I've never known so many folk off here and there on holidays - not uber wealthy folk either, just Joe Average in the street (I'm very jealous, we aren't able to leave my old folk!). There is just so much to do that doesn't cost an arm and a leg!

There's so much to do here too that don't cost an arm and a leg.

I have a very different story of the uk as although my parents are well off both have had there hours cut and the same for my brother all living in SE Kent. Friends are out of work and struggling and many shops and local businesses have closed down. Those that have work are pulling long hours over seven days just to make ends meat.

As the others have said - your kids will be fine, just apply for their passports, Form C2

Your husband is a different kettle of fish! If he has a UK born parent or grandparent then you are OK - for a UK born parent, he can apply for citizenship in his own right (bit more complicated) or if he has a UK born grandparent then he can apply for an Ancestry visa. If none of those, then does he have a Europe born parent or ancestor that may make him eligible for an EU passport? If none of those then you are going to have to sponsor him on a spouse visa and that will mean either getting a job netting you £18.5K or savings of £62.5k - trickier proposition altogether.

Good luck!

Quoll I'm confused by your statement ""for a UK born parent, he can apply for citizenship in his own right (bit more complicated)".

What do you mean ?

If he had a UK born parent he wouldn't apply for citizenship, he would automatically be a British citizen himself (by descent).

Probably not relevant as she would have mentioned it I expect if it was the case. But I wasn't sure what you were getting at.

Getting back to the actual can your husband get a partner visa, its basically what Quoll has said. You are a UK born citizen and your kids can have UK citizenship via you so that is fine.

The partner visa rules changed a while back and its now made much harder for UK citizens wanting to return to the UK with their non UK spouses.

The 18K earnings threshold I think has to either be earnt for 6 months prior to sponsoring or it might be a job offer stating this salary is acceptable. You'd have to do your research on this.

I am guessing you may not have the £60,000 or so capital to help meet the alternative financial requirement. Its not that you have to hand it over or anything, just have the funds to show your OH won't be a drain on the Gov public funds and the like.

From the UK Gov website. You'll have to wade through the questions on the Gov website to get the info you are after and all the forms. Although here is a link to the financial requirement PDF for you https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/285985/IDI6.doc.pdf

You can apply as the partner of a British citizen or person settled in the UK

You may be eligible for settlement (‘indefinite leave to remain’) if your partner is a:

• British citizen
  • person settled in the UK

Partners are 2 people in a genuine relationship - you must be able to prove 1 of the following:

• you’re married
  • you’re in a civil partnership
  • you’ve been in a relationship for 2 years

You and your partner must intend to continue your relationship after you apply for settlement.

Eligibility

You need to have been living in the UK with a ‘partner of a settled person’ visa for:

• 2 years if you applied for your visa before 9 July 2012
  • 5 years or 10 years if you applied for your visa on or after 9 July 2012

Read the guidance for the 2-year route and the 5- and 10-year routes.

Knowledge of language and life

If you’re 18 to 64 years old when you apply you must also pass:

When your application can be refused

Your application might be refused if, for example, you’ve:

• got a criminal record in the UK or another country
  • provided false or incomplete information to the Home Office
  • broken UK immigration law

Read the full guidance on why applications can be refused.

Proof of finances

There’s no financial requirement if you applied for your partner visa on the 10-year route.

If you’re on the 2-year route (ie you applied before 9 July 2012) you and your partner must prove you have enough money to adequately support and accommodate yourselves and any dependants without using public funds.

If you’re on the 5-year route you’ll need to prove you have at least:

• £18,600 for each year for you
  • £22,400 if you’re including 1 child
  • £2,400 for each additional child

You won’t need to prove this if you or your partner get certain disability benefits or a carer’s allowance, but you’ll need to adequately accommodate and support yourselves and any dependants.

Read the guidance on the financial requirement.

How to apply

Download and complete application form SET(M) if you’re eligible to apply on the 2-year route.

If you’re a partner on the 5- or 10-year route, the earliest date you’ll become eligible to apply for settlement is June 2017.Check if you can extend your permission instead.

Check the application form to find out what supporting documents you need to send with your application.

A very sweeping statement about an entire country based on ones ex town

Pretty much the same here in the midlands. Jobs are hard to come by and those available usually go to people 'in the know' ie friends and family. Also, most jobs here are part time so you need to work 2 or 3 jobs to make a living wage and mostly poorly paid. Tescos have over 530,000 employees, their policy now is to only offer part time work. This is for their own benefit as P/T workers are usually more flexible and can change their hours more easily.

If on the other hand you are lucky enough to be already in full time work then life is obviously much easier but would definitely not want to be unemployed in the midlands today.

For any returnees pick your area carefully

Quoll I'm confused by your statement ""for a UK born parent, he can apply for citizenship in his own right (bit more complicated)".

What do you mean ?

If he had a UK born parent he wouldn't apply for citizenship, he would automatically be a British citizen himself (by descent).

Probably not relevant as she would have mentioned it I expect if it was the case. But I wasn't sure what you were getting at.

Sorry, badly worded on my part - should probably have been apply for passport except for those over a certain age who have to go through the UKM process (like my DH) who did, indeed have to apply for his citizenship.

Pretty much the same here in the midlands. Jobs are hard to come by and those available usually go to people 'in the know' ie friends and family. Also, most jobs here are part time so you need to work 2 or 3 jobs to make a living wage and mostly poorly paid. Tescos have over 530,000 employees, their policy now is to only offer part time work. This is for their own benefit as P/T workers are usually more flexible and can change their hours more easily.

If on the other hand you are lucky enough to be already in full time work then life is obviously much easier but would definitely not want to be unemployed in the midlands today.

For any returnees pick your area carefully

Move to a area with better employment opportunities . Simple

Move to a area with better employment opportunities . Simple

That's what I said didn't I

Pick your area carefully.

we are lucky, we both have work but there are many, many people here who are struggling. OH has been made redundant 4 times since 2000 so we know how hard it is out there. I just think people who are returning should understand that the employment situation is precarious.

Ok people. Let's not lose track of the OP here please or take it off at a tangent bickering over an area that wasn't really part of the OP's post.

:err:Um? I'm not too sure about some of your comments. We have booked two holidays abroad this year, both have permanent full time jobs, have a good standard of living and all of our friends are in work. Oh plus we defo have more of a work/life balance here in the UK, and we brought a house in a nice area since being bk from Oz. Yes, there are some bits in your post that may be true of some places, but I guess it all depends on where you live? All this since we came bk. IT CAN BE DONE!

Archived