Cumbria & Lake District - any tips?

3FatCats

So, we will be back in the UK briefly after Easter time and I thought of spending a few days somewhere nice to try and relax a bit, plus I have a special birthday and am owed a weekend away!

Never had time to visit Cumbria or the Lakes so fancy doing that. Who has been and do you have any tips? We will likely just stay a few days, thought about renting a self catering cottage somewhere. We don't mind walking, but will likely just want to chill, visit pubs and see nice scenery...

I always say Ambleside Naomi,love the place,just enough pubs/eating places without being "too" busy,nice easy walks just out of the village,Rydal mount etc,,dead close to Windemere,i stayed in a tiny little cottage called "the old wash house",dead quaint it is,not flash tho,but great,i'll stay in it again one weekend i hope

http://www.amblesideonline.co.uk

Guest Guest 47403
So, we will be back in the UK briefly after Easter time and I thought of spending a few days somewhere nice to try and relax a bit, plus I have a special birthday and am owed a weekend away!

Never had time to visit Cumbria or the Lakes so fancy doing that. Who has been and do you have any tips? We will likely just stay a few days, thought about renting a self catering cottage somewhere. We don't mind walking, but will likely just want to chill, visit pubs and see nice scenery...

Beautiful part of the country book a lodge with a hot tub it rains a lot so somewhere to thaw out after a long walk is good.

My favourite place is Glenridding on Ullswater, I don't know if you'e the energetic type but there is an easy climb up Helvellyn from there and if you're not there is a fabulous pub - the Traveller's Rest.

I haven't been for years but it used to be very unspoilt compared to the rest of the Lakes.

Definitely avoid Windermere - or visit via one of the steamers on the lake from Ambleside.

We always stay in Kendal as that's where my OH's family moved to, a nice enough country town but not where I'd recommend to a tourist.

What?! Americans would take a pic just because of that? Wow lol

Tongue was firmly in cheek but we did get tourists wanting to take photos of my OH & son in their kilts :)

Americans eh.. Gotta love them lol. I saw some Asian people in London going mad over some pigeons and I was like "seriously?!"

Bet that's what the Aussies think when they see us poms going gaga over kangaroos - I never got over the thrill of seeing them in the wild, and the parrots, cockatoos, gallahs, lorikeets..

• 2 months later...
To all the helpful people who provided suggestions, I've been in Ambleside for a few days now, it is fantastic and the sun has been out too :cool: don't think I want to leave....

Hope it stays lovely for yer Naomi,you deserve a nice time:hug:

Love the Lake District, stayed in Ambleside a few weeks back (highly recommend the The Mews). Make sure you book and go to Lucy's on a plate - they write your name into the welcome at the top of the menu and the food is fabulous!

Also a big fan of Grasmere and the gingerbread shop. Lots of National Trust sites there too - we loved Allan Bank, Wray Castle, Sizergh etc.

Hope you have a fabulous trip!

Archived