Spider bite!

blossom

It's taken six years of living here but I've finally been bitten by a spider!

I work in a plant nursery so I'm used to seeing the odd spider. I has even accepted I might get bitten one day. I don't wear gloves and blindly shove my fingers under the rims of pots every day.

But no, this one bit me on the neck as I was driving home! I chucked him on the car floor and tried to squish him. I thought I'd been successful and was going to have a closer look at him after looking at my neck. What I thought was smeared spider in the receipt I attacked him with wasn't, so it seems he's still loose in my car somewhere.

Luckily he wasn't a red back or white tail. Just looked like one of your friendly jumping spiders. Bloody thing!

OMG you're the first person I've heard that's been bitten by a spider. Sounds like it wasn't a nasty type. Are you feeling ok ?

Yes I seem to be fine. It looked like when you get a stingy nettle sting, and was itching to start with, but it seems to have gone now.

Keep an eye on it - white tails have a nasty reputation (research says it's all myth but my next door neighbour had to have a skin graft because of the necrotised skin after a white tail bite) - so if it looks odd, get it checked out ASAP.

Sorry, that should have said it wasn't a redneck or a white tail. I'd be proper freaking if it was. My husband was bitten by one years ago in his elbow and it swelled up and went squishy and brown.

That's scary stuff blossom

a few weeks back, I noticed a spider in the car while driving to work.

It was on the roof, right above my head. I was on Leach Highway, nowhere to pull over.

how I Didnt cause an accident I don't know, as I had to keep taking my eyes off the road to look up at the roof.

I was a gibbering, shaking mess by the time I arrived at work :confused:

I hope all turns out fine with you...but do keep an eye on it xx

Lol. Yep, I had to drive twice with huntsmen in my car because I couldn't pull over. Funnily enough this one actually biting me was nowhere near as scary (infact not at all) as the huntsman spiders. If I'd been bitten by one of them I'd have crashed I reckon lol.

After 20 years of eluding spider bites I myself got my first this year! And then 2 more after that - 2 from Redbacks and 1 from White Tail I think. Bring em on!! Apparently the fitter you are the more immune you are to the venom, I must be pretty fit because upon consultation with the doctor, no anti venom was neccesary.

Guest Guest40285

Im a Nurseryman by trade, been bitten heaps by redbacks, pesky buggers, had a bit from a Huntsmen once, had the worse reaction, still the worst from all spiders has to be ticks ? They used to and still do make me sick as

Im a Nurseryman by trade, been bitten heaps by redbacks, pesky buggers, had a bit from a Huntsmen once, had the worse reaction, still the worst from all spiders has to be ticks ? They used to and still do make me sick as

We don't seem to have ticks in sa. Thank God! That would FREAK me out!

Sorry, that should have said it wasn't a redneck or a white tail. I'd be proper freaking if it was. My husband was bitten by one years ago in his elbow and it swelled up and went squishy and brown.

Ah if it wasn't a white tail it should be fine! Redback - take yourself off to A&E for observation. My son had a Redback bite when he was about 12 and it made him pretty sick for a while. The others are pussycats really.

I was bitten in bed by a black spider:( I woke up one night with an intense headache and a stiff neck. Next morning, dead spider next to my pillow and fang marks on my neck. It was achey and sore for a day or two, a bit itchy, then the nearest lymph node on my neck came up for at least 2 weeks! Absorbing all the poison. Eek. Nothing further since.

I was bitten in bed by a black spider:( I woke up one night with an intense headache and a stiff neck. Next morning, dead spider next to my pillow and fang marks on my neck. It was achey and sore for a day or two, a bit itchy, then the nearest lymph node on my neck came up for at least 2 weeks! Absorbing all the poison. Eek. Nothing further since.

If you didnt find the spider could you have thought you were going to be a bride of dracula? :laugh:

Archived