Arrrgghh crunch time again!!

Motorhead

I thought private education was cheaper there than here anyway, by a big margin.

Definitely depends on the school. The ones in Aus we sent our girls to were very similar to what we pay here. It used to be the case that it was much cheaper there, even at what are considered the 'elite' schools, but that is definitely not the case now - those schools are more expensive in every way (registration, enrolment, tuition fees, stationery, extra curricular activities, uniform..).

The school ours started at in Perth used to have an enrolment fee of $800 per family (in 2000), it's now over $4k per child for the first two children anyway. The last one they were at in Sydney kitting them out with uniform was another $4k, plus stationery costs etc. our enrolment fee at their present school was £350 per child and we get that back when they leave. Uniform costs were £300 for the lot and all their stationery and exam fees are included in the (lower) fees.

The catholic/baptist etc schools are cheaper than traditional private school and we did look at a couple of those, but especially at the catholic ones, the religious stuff really put us off. They're a good option for those who don't mind that though.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It does depend on whether you have boys or girls in the UK too. Girls are a bit cheaper (thank goodness!), but yes, London and surrounds are more expensive, just as Melbourne, Sydney and increasingly, Perth are more than other places. We had to pay way more than $10k in Sydney and friends who'd moved down from Qld were a bit shocked at how much more it was for their two.

It does depend on whether you have boys or girls in the UK too. Girls are a bit cheaper (thank goodness!), but yes, London and surrounds are more expensive, just as Melbourne, Sydney and increasingly, Perth are more than other places. We had to pay way more than $10k in Sydney and friends who'd moved down from Qld were a bit shocked at how much more it was for their two.

It's got more expensive since too.....all the private schools round where you used to live (Barker, Knox et al) are over $20K pa now. My son's school went up 7% this year

Having said that, it is still cheaper than the "equivalent" school in the UK would be - whatever that means - but is about the same as we used to pay in the UK for the school he actually went to. Difference is he's now in one of the top academic schools in NSW and was in a country prep school in England

I am/was happy with both, so no dramas. Like for like, Sydney is cheaper than the UK IME, but not by much. I'm given to believe most other metro areas (except perhaps Melbourne) are a bit cheaper again

I don't think comparing catholic private schools here with UK private schools is a fair comparison though, and everytime I see the very low fees quoted it's the catholic system people are looking at. The fair comparison there is, IMO, with the catholic schools in the UK, which are largely free

It's got more expensive since too.....all the private schools round where you used to live (Barker, Knox et al) are over $20K pa now. My son's school went up 7% this year

Having said that, it is still cheaper than the "equivalent" school in the UK would be - whatever that means - but is about the same as we used to pay in the UK for the school he actually went to. Difference is he's now in one of the top academic schools in NSW and was in a country prep school in England

I am/was happy with both, so no dramas. Like for like, Sydney is cheaper than the UK IME, but not by much. I'm given to believe most other metro areas (except perhaps Melbourne) are a bit cheaper again

I don't think comparing catholic private schools here with UK private schools is a fair comparison though, and everytime I see the very low fees quoted it's the catholic system people are looking at. The fair comparison there is, IMO, with the catholic schools in the UK, which are largely free

That's exactly what I think. IMO the catholic schools are mostly (with the exception of a few truly independent ones) are the equivalent of the free ones in the UK.

I wouldn't compare them with the likes of the schools you mention or the ones our lot were at which are more like the ones we've used/are using here (in terms of facilities etc, not education provided). Our fees in Sydney in 2009 were well over $20k each, here they are just over £10,500 at an equivalent school. All the extra curricular activities (DofE, trips, excursions etc are cheaper here). However, if we'd been happy with the school in Sydney we'd have stuck with it - it costs what it costs.

Back in 2003 we could send all three in Perth for what it would have cost for two in the UK. That certainly isn't the case now, sadly.

We had to consider moving the girls to Melbourne a couple of years ago and we'd have been paying at least as much (Mentone, MLC etc) as we pay here in fees and the extras were much more expensive. London and the SE, however, are in a league of their own and I'm very glad we don't live there!

Just looked at the website for the school they were at in Sydney. The fees are now over $27k each, so over $80k for all three without any electives fees, stationery, books etc. Wow! I wish I could say it was worth it!

Motorhead I can relate to your situation.

I work in Oil & Gas in Perth and earn somewhere a little north of 200k, I consider myself very lucky to be in this position. However I am returning to Aberdeen as a dayrate contractor on around the 400 a day, there were more lucrative offers but I like the role and the people that I will be contracting for. I always get the impression form a purely materialistic buying power point of view that my colleagues in Aberdeen have always been better off than their counterparts in Perth due to house prices and the general cost of living. The other way I look at is like this, the average Oil & Gas wage in Perth is say 160-170K basically 2.2 x the national average where as back home Oil & Gas wages are closer 3 x the national average, this makes a big difference to the perception of being better off.

I think you have been given good advice by some of the posters earlier in the thread before the public v private school debate was ignited!

I feel we will be better off as a family in Aberdeen than Perth as we will have the support and understanding from family and friends that just isn't here in Australia. We have been down under in 3 different locations for a total of 5 years, the first 2.5 years I earned less than half of what I do now but I was happier with my lot.

Sometimes it's just right to go back and if your PR you can always return!

Not quite true you cannot always return if PR.

If you are out of Australia for more than 5 years it is hard to get an RRV. Also RRV rules have become tighter and could change again at any time. PR does lapse if you remain outside of Australia for too long.

If you can get citizenship before you leave, that way you will be sure you can return when you like.

Off topic I know but there is a gaping contradiction here. You say that the school a child goes to makes no difference to their level of attainment which is ridiculous even comparing different state schools. Then you say Oz schools are superior to those in the UK; how can this be the same if the school makes no difference.

There has been some publicity here in Australia on comparing state schools with private schools and the evidence suggests on average they do not provide a better education. Obviously there will always be a difference between the best and the worst in both categories, but the assumption that private schools are "better" is simply not true. The overall standard of education in Australia is very good, especially within the University sector where it attracts large overseas students. My statement about Australia vs UK is based my experience with my sons public (not-private) education.

I think because the education sector here is under the microscope a lot and it does get a lot of attention when it is failing. Australia seems to be ultra critical about its education sector, so may give people a sense that all is not right, bit I think this is because Aussies just want to make it the best amongst the OECD nations.

The schools that I have seen here have better facilities than UK schools and more money is being spent on Education right now. Having said that, yes they are not getting value for money and that seems to be where the problem lies. More spending does not equate to better results, but the children are at least being given all the tools to succeed.

Once again thanks for the reply's, as we have not been in aus more than 2 years we wouldnt get a PRV so we would have until 2017 to return. I have many friends here, some Ive known for 20 years or more so on that front it will be hard to go back and the obvious feeling of failure if we do. Again I appreciate all the comments on 180K is a fortune and how on earth cant u survive...well we can its just that I'm not used to surviving, Im used to having disposable income. I survived as a student in not so great accommodation 20 years ago so now I like a nice house and I pay for it...it costs me 3250 a month, my partners car costs 1000 a month, car insurance/food/kids stuff/BBQ's/foxtel/electric(400) easily add up to 2000 so there its all just about gone (I get just under 9k a month) So you can see im not buying rolexe's or bathing in goats milk, but Im not slumming it either...the difference is living here I am not adding to my family's wealth, there is no money going into savings, no emergency fund, no holiday fund.

I also dont get how you can afford a house on the river if that house is 900k say and your house-hold income is half mine...unless you had a massive deposit, or your taking on a 30year mortgage then its not really relevant as Im in my forties.

But again I am still undecided, I think the best bit of advice was the "when in doubt do nought" , but that's hard when the pop star wages are on the cold grey table

If in doubt go with your gut feeeling - If in doubt do nought - is still making a decision (albeit maybe a subconscious one) not to go. Go where you feel most comfortable and enjoy life. Money is important but you will be ok whichever you choose so trust your instinct

Dunno how you can't afford private education on that money? I've never paid more than $1300 a term for my kids. That's $100 a week....................less than a meal out for two, in the city.

would that be $300 a week if you had 3 kids :elvis: how the hell can people afford that.

I think some of these comments are right. Migrating anywhere has lots of ups and downs - I am starting my Australia journey but have lived and worked in many different countries and the sentiments of ex pats remains the same. You have to do what feels right for you and the family. Good luck buddy, money is money at the end of the day but keeping a strong mind and focus is the most important. I saw alot of people come and go from Canada and life in an expat community is all about goodbyes to friends returning or going elsewhere in their journey. Sometimes people flip flopped from canada to UK and then back again and I wonder if it could be an option to go back for a while, take the job and then make a firm decision after a few months?

It's a horrible decision to have to make. We had to make a similar one at the end of 2009 and again in 2011 when my oh and I were on opposite sides of the world and not able to communicate properly. It was so tough.

In the end you have to go with your gut feeling (in the absence of anything better!) and cope with the inevitable doubts you have about whether it was the right thing to do, or not.

We have come back to less money and had to move to a new area, which is beautiful, but will never be home and there are days when I really doubt the decision. However, we had to make the best decision for our kids because of their ages, and at the time, this was the best. It has definitely worked for them - they're all thriving, happy and doing really well, so I can't regret it. We will move again once they've all left.

Really think hard about what's important to you and your family long term. If you're enjoying life in Australia except for needing more money, is there anyway of making more? Or living in a more affordable area?

If you think you prefer the lifestyle in the UK and what the extra money will buy you, then you have your answer. What were your reasons for leaving in the first place? Was it to have an adventure? To escape the lifestyle/weather/politics? Those things are still here. If you went purely for a job opportunity or an adventure, maybe the new opportunity is the one to go for and another adventure?

Whatever choice you make there will be times when you doubt yourselves, just as you are now. It's a tough one!

why would you want to send private in the uk? state schools are fantastic around where I live.

Really? How do you judge that?

I explained in another post on thread that the reason why I send my son to a private school and I don't see how that would be different in your area unless your 'state' schools are not under 'state' control?

Those who are speculating on tax brackets please look here

http://www.paycalculator.com.au/info.html

If you earn 180k this puts you in top 2 percentile of income earners you ll be taking back 125k net approx

The average wage is 55k and they take back approx 46k

From a financial point of view you can afford almost 3x the average Australian worker

Money cant be a big issue for you unless you have negative geared or invested in other funds, or you have a 2 mil mortgage..

So if other factors are making you think twice then fair enough

But spare a thought for those who earn an average wage or below and have the same dilemma

Gee 13, I totally understand and have said not everyone is in the same wage bracket, I've worked hard (at times) to get the skills and qualifications to be in this tax bracket, but please remember we are a one income house at the moment. To be honest I dont think it makes the decision any harder or easier how much you earn ,if anything the things that are free here are the ones that may swing the balance for most people regardless of what you earn ie parks, the beach, the weather are the same for everyone.

Money IS a big issue as a tried to outline my 9k a month from my basic of 174 is easily accounted for.

Having looked at that calculator I'm about 1000 per month down from what it says I should get...that's a lot! I'll speak to my accountant and report back!

Yeah you should get a little more after tax each month. I'm on $140k and get about $8.5k per month, but I do salary sacrifice the rent and fuel bills which gives me a couple of hundred extra.

You should get a nice wodge back at tax time anyway, maybe enough to fund a move back to the UK?

Ok I have found the problem...

Turns out I am not on 180 or 174K, I am infact on 157K + 17k Super payment.

This explains why I have 1000 less each month after tax.

I'm relieved in some ways as I now understand why my money just wasnt going as far as people kept telling me it should, thanks for all the replys they have obviously helped me get a better handle on things.

• 3 weeks later...

I now have the job offer officially on the table, to be honest I'm losing sleep over the whole thing. Its causing arguments at home, we are both so stressed trying to decide what to do for the best. I keep thinking you’ve not given it long enough, just stay, but then I go back to looking at the houses here and I just can’t bring myself to hand over my life’s savings, even if I mortgage myself to the hilt out to me being 60 years old we still can’t afford what I’d call a great house. It’s harder than the call to come here. If I was 20 rather than the 40 I would never have looked back but im not 20. My 3 year old boy will be devastated if we go back, all he knows are his friends and the beach and his sports and going to ace things like the rugby at Suncorp…..

Then I see that pictures of Spring back in Scotland there’s no comparison Scotland to me is the most beautiful place on earth at this time of year, nothing Ive seen in Australia comes close…but then the Aussie trump card…miles of the worlds best beaches and sunshine.

Its so annoying as we have wasted so much time here looking at crap houses and worrying about the whole thing.

As I said at the beginning ….AAAAGGGRRRRGGHHH!!!!!!

My heart is in both camps my head is spinning.

Take the country out of the equation - where is the best offer you've got? There is nothing in the rule book that says you have to keep banging your head against the same old brick wall just in case one day it may hurt less! If the offer on the table is better than the situation you have now - no brainer! Your 3 yr old will be happy wherever he has a happy mum and dad and doting rellies - he'll have a ball playing on real grass, splashing in puddles in his wellies and making daisy chains, he won't miss anything. Good luck with the decision!

I now have the job offer officially on the table, to be honest I'm losing sleep over the whole thing. Its causing arguments at home, we are both so stressed trying to decide what to do for the best. I keep thinking you’ve not given it long enough, just stay, but then I go back to looking at the houses here and I just can’t bring myself to hand over my life’s savings, even if I mortgage myself to the hilt out to me being 60 years old we still can’t afford what I’d call a great house. It’s harder than the call to come here. If I was 20 rather than the 40 I would never have looked back but im not 20. My 3 year old boy will be devastated if we go back, all he knows are his friends and the beach and his sports and going to ace things like the rugby at Suncorp…..

Then I see that pictures of Spring back in Scotland there’s no comparison Scotland to me is the most beautiful place on earth at this time of year, nothing Ive seen in Australia comes close…but then the Aussie trump card…miles of the worlds best beaches and sunshine.

Its so annoying as we have wasted so much time here looking at crap houses and worrying about the whole thing.

As I said at the beginning ….AAAAGGGRRRRGGHHH!!!!!!

My heart is in both camps my head is spinning.

I left england when I was three and have no memory of it. My son left Australia when he was three and was the same. Worry about their future not their past at that age.

Archived