Tony Abbott has done it. He has stopped the boats.

Parley

Just show's how little you know about the navy and their distinct lack of keenness in being politicised. Indeed the Indonesian press along with the UK Guardian does a grand job keeping us on shore informed.

I work with a lot of defence personnel mate so maybe know a little bit more than you think. I'm sure there are loads of people in the forces who don't want to be in Afghanistan either but there are an awful lot that look forward to their next trip. They see it as part of their job and what they signed up for.

So you'd believe the Indonesian press and the Guardian in front of what our own press, the government and `the Navy personnel say? Hardly likely that the Indonesian press will say anything good about Aus. They need to put their own house in order before they criticise Aus. They aren't even signatories to the UNHCR convention.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Indeed they should. China voiced concern to Australia today with regards the human rights record towards children in detention. Not a good look by this government in the neighbourhood.

Now that's a laugh. China voicing concern over Human Rights. Remember Tiananmen Square protests of 1989, which resulted in military suppression and the deaths of hundreds, if not thousands, of civilian protestors.

I'm yet to meet an educated Aussie who thinks this boat "issue" is actually a pressing issue.

They realise it's all for political gain of a certain less educated section of society. In fact I doubt it would even be mentioned if you didn't have to vote like the UK

Nice to see the educated and uneducated argument coming out again. Guess I'm one of the uneducated bogans then. You and your educated mate flag can go and sit and have a couple of chardonays and discuss all us uneducated bogan ex pom chavs that the government is letting in.

Aren't there flights to Somalia?

Yes there are, but there are some complications. First, you have to notify the airline that you're deporting a (potentially violent) criminal, and they may refuse to carry them. Next, the passenger may be refused entry, in which case they stay on the plane and fly back. If you organise a private flight then you need landing permissions, which won't be given.

Once again, _there is no compulsion for a nation to take back it's own citizens_

In the international game of Pass the Donkey, the only rule is not to end up holding the donkey. We're not in some kind of gentlemens' club where most people can be relied upon to "do the right thing".

Now, for a violent crim, you might go to the expense of trying to ship them back, but for an asylum seeker who would probably be quite grateful for a menial job and a rented apartment, you might be tempted to cut to the chase and just let them in.

Nice to see the educated and uneducated argument coming out again. Guess I'm one of the uneducated bogans then. You and your educated mate flag can go and sit and have a couple of chardonays and discuss all us uneducated bogan ex pom chavs that the government is letting in.

Haha well we sound like a right pair of elitist dicks.

I'll have a vb tonight to join the common man

Tony Abbott's approval rating went up in the last poll and Bill Shorten's down which is more of a guide. But there are many issues in play not just asylum seekers.

I've put a poll up so we can see if the PIO results reflect the polls that some of the papers publish. Please go vote :wubclub:

Aren't there flights to Somalia? Don't know what the implications are of a cancelled visa to be honest but that is the least that should happen to those guys, IF they ever catch anyone. I suppose if they don't get sent back to wherever we will just have to wear the cost of the jail term that they will get and then what?? Be interesting if they have no visa.

Also another good reason for being very selective about who gets in in the first place.

Australia already conducts a selective immigration policy. It is already skewered towards certain nationalities. Somali's are not one of them.

Now that's a laugh. China voicing concern over Human Rights. Remember Tiananmen Square protests of 1989, which resulted in military suppression and the deaths of hundreds, if not thousands, of civilian protestors.

China no doubt would relish the opportunity at getting one back on the Aussies who moralise to them constantly. I think or hope we all know Tiananmen Square without the reference. Chinese suppression in Tibet and in its northern most region against minorities more relevant now.

Australia has left itself open for critique with its policy. Locking up kids for one thing and mentally brutalising folk who have committed no crime,is hardly condusive to being a humanitarian nation though.

I'll go with ill informed chav imports and native Bogans. You got to be joking, Chardonay may be the burb's idea of sophistication. Inner City it's Champers at the very least....

In my opinion majority of us in the building industry , the mining, oil and gas industries , will continue to vote for the libs.I've been here all my life and every time there in power things go well. I might not be politically on the ball but I know what I've experienced in my life in oz and go with it.Every times labor is in they spend big , make stupid decisions and the libs come in having to make cuts ect and pick up the pieces. I can appreciate a few things Tony Abbott is doing and that's in his sights.

I work with a lot of defence personnel mate so maybe know a little bit more than you think. I'm sure there are loads of people in the forces who don't want to be in Afghanistan either but there are an awful lot that look forward to their next trip. They see it as part of their job and what they signed up for.

So you'd believe the Indonesian press and the Guardian in front of what our own press, the government and `the Navy personnel say? Hardly likely that the Indonesian press will say anything good about Aus. They need to put their own house in order before they criticise Aus. They aren't even signatories to the UNHCR convention.

Yes I do believe what press outside the Murdoch stable would say, navy personal say and do what is told of them and the government is full of secrecy and misinformation.

The Australian I read most days with a coffee at a café, at least makes no pretence at being neutral, is the best I can say for that disgrace of a paper, our local West Australian, is rather small town with opinions to match and again a rightwing bias.

The Guardian online comes as a breath of fresh air. The Age is often on the job as well.

So what level are these defence personal? Ranking or grunts on the ground. Very different views could be expected. The distaste of navy command over the cover up of the children over board didn't come out ,for obvious reasons until well after the event and change og government.

While the armed forces is at the call of the government of the day, there is a major difference into going into a recognised theatre of operation like Afghanistan and a government manufacturing a military style situation against civilians. A gross over reaction could be one term to describe it. Create an incident in the minds of the population for electoral gain another.

In my opinion majority of us in the building industry , the mining, oil and gas industries , will continue to vote for the libs.I've been here all my life and every time there in power things go well. I might not be politically on the ball but I know what I've experienced in my life in oz and go with it.Every times labor is in they spend big , make stupid decisions and the libs come in having to make cuts ect and pick up the pieces. I can appreciate a few things Tony Abbott is doing and that's in his sights.

Thankfully the country is not made up by big business. They have far too much influence as is, and ever more under a Conservative government. So Howard didn't spend up big in his last term in an attempt to bribe the electorate?

The Guardian online comes as a breath of fresh air.

Yeah, because the Guardian doesn't have a massive left wing bias. At all.

Guardian and Mail, the opposite sides of the same coin.

For every Mail "immigrant scrounger", there is a Guardian "bankers bonus".

I'll go with ill informed chav imports and native Bogans. You got to be joking, Chardonay may be the burb's idea of sophistication. Inner City it's Champers at the very least....

Your mates gone on to VB Flag. Only expected the best from your highly educated, upper class self though. Enjoy the champers then mate. Have a good weekend. Heard some good reports about the Perth festival. Few friends been down this week and said how good the layout and acts have been. I think we'll try and get into town this weekend.:cool:

I would have thought you'd have been voting the other way then Ausborn. When labour are spending big isn't that when the building, mining, oil and gas industries are screaming out for labour and the salaries go up? Plenty of jobs around, cranes and building all over the place.

From what I've seen of the liberals so far I am expecting cuts to spending, job losses (already happening), big business saying things are "unsustainable", things like penalty rates for working weekends, salaries to be pulled back and company profits to soar. Rich get richer, poor get poorer and the government tells the working class it's all their fault for all the bad things that happen.

I would have thought you'd have been voting the other way then Ausborn. When labour are spending big isn't that when the building, mining, oil and gas industries are screaming out for labour and the salaries go up? Plenty of jobs around, cranes and building all over the place.

From what I've seen of the liberals so far I am expecting cuts to spending, job losses (already happening), big business saying things are "unsustainable", things like penalty rates for working weekends, salaries to be pulled back and company profits to soar. Rich get richer, poor get poorer and the government tells the working class it's all their fault for all the bad things that happen.

No I agree with Ausborn.

What Labor provides is like a sort term sugar hit, with spending on useless projects that don'r provide lasting value to the country.

Inevitably the country ends up in huge debt and deficit and the Libs get voted in to fix it up.

There will be short term pain.

Governments don't create jobs of themselves, but the best thing the government can do is fix the debt and deficit and then create a strong sustainable economy. This leads to business gaining confidence and then creating more jobs.

This happened under Howard and I expect after 4 years or so pain, it will happen under Abbott. But definately tough times ahead for the first 4 years or so as we go through the very painful process of fixing up Labor's mess of debt and deficit.

Actually, while labour were in, I think we went through a few of the best years this country has seen. All the bad news seems to be coming out since Abbott go in. Strange how they blame the last government for everything that is going wrong but they never get any plaudits for things that went well.

Just that in the sector that Ausborn is in (sounds like the building trade) I expect that to shrink quite a bit under this government and jobs to disappear in some places. Perth has some big projects underway which will keep things going for a while but don't know how long it will carry on. This is a Liberal government here and we've got massive projects like Elizabeth Quay under way, new hospitals being built, millions spent on new projects and they are cutting back on staff in the hospitals, schools and WA has lost it's AAA credit rating. All while Liberals have been in power.

Just returning to the topic of this thread, it has now been 64 days since there has been a successful people smuggling operation to Australia.

This is the longest period since August 2008.

On average a boat arrived every day during the last year of Labor. At its peak last July over 4200 illegal arrivals occurred in just one month.

Under Labor there were over 50,000 illegal arrivals and over 1,000 drownings at sea.

Thankfully it seems those days are finally behind us.

Your mates gone on to VB Flag. Only expected the best from your highly educated, upper class self though. Enjoy the champers then mate. Have a good weekend. Heard some good reports about the Perth festival. Few friends been down this week and said how good the layout and acts have been. I think we'll try and get into town this weekend.:cool:

I'm sure my "mate" is only saying that in the feeble attempt to fit in. I suspect he has under estimated the good folk on PiO. Surely their taste wouldn't accommodate something as frankly off putting as that particular amber nectar.

Just returning to the topic of this thread, it has now been 64 days since there has been a successful people smuggling operation to Australia.

This is the longest period since August 2008.

On average a boat arrived every day during the last year of Labor. At its peak last July over 4200 illegal arrivals occurred in just one month.

Under Labor there were over 50,000 illegal arrivals and over 1,000 drownings at sea.

Thankfully it seems those days are finally behind us.

Some 70% less arrivals in Indonesia. More arriving in Malaysia. The issues surrounding the issue are more problematic now than at any stage for present government. Not slogans for Bogans now but dealing on the international scene.

No I agree with Ausborn.

What Labor provides is like a sort term sugar hit, with spending on useless projects that don'r provide lasting value to the country.

Inevitably the country ends up in huge debt and deficit and the Libs get voted in to fix it up.

There will be short term pain.

Governments don't create jobs of themselves, but the best thing the government can do is fix the debt and deficit and then create a strong sustainable economy. This leads to business gaining confidence and then creating more jobs.

This happened under Howard and I expect after 4 years or so pain, it will happen under Abbott. But definately tough times ahead for the first 4 years or so as we go through the very painful process of fixing up Labor's mess of debt and deficit.

Go on admit it you work in some minor role for the Murdoch press.