Tony Abbott has done it. He has stopped the boats.

Parley

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I haven't noticed any difference?

Also isn't he just continuing Rudd's policy? If you are going to make kneek jerk statements after a couple of months then he also has killed manufacturing in Australia. I'd rather a few extra immigrants and people had jobs

I haven't noticed any difference?

Exactly - no-one would notice as the number of people arriving was always negligible. They had no discernible effect on anyone's life so this Australian obsession with 'stopping the boats' is a complete mystery other than the habitual xenophobia...

Neil Mitchell discussing on the radio this morning.

The asylum seekers have stopped arriving in Indonesia as their first stop before getting on a boat to Australia.

Win-win for us and Indonesia.

This may enable us to increase our intake of legitimate refugees waiting in refugee camps for settlemtent, if we don't have to deal with so many illegal arrivals by boat.

So very good news for Australia, Indonesia and all the legitimate refugees who have been waiting in camps to be processed.

Exactly - no-one would notice as the number of people arriving was always negligible. They had no discernible effect on anyone's life so this Australian obsession with 'stopping the boats' is a complete mystery other than the habitual xenophobia...

It's a good way for Tony to target the less educated of society however. Like the one's who fall for the deficit talk. Never once heard the deficit discussed as a percentage of GDP by Tony, I wonder why that is?

Well even your own leaders Gillard and Swan were madly scrambling to avoid a deficit.

4 budgets in a row Swan kept promising surpluses, but of course never delivered one.

Not sure what that says about their intelligence.

I'm not a Labour supporter, in fact i'm not eligible to vote here. Who knows who I would vote for? maybe the one with the shiniest leaflet? About as deep as the pre election "issues".

Definately not continuing Rudd's policy. Blasphemy.

No boat arrivals for around 2 months. We have been towing them back and now they seem to have stopped.

It is monsoon season for one thing and another towing the boats back is not stopping them. It is hindering them. The possible cost of a confrontation with Indonesia, while illegally entering their waters with armed Australian naval vessels should also be factored in.

Besides everything this government is doing falls under the term national security, little than the government wants released that will favour them is open for public scrutiny.

Nothing that can be said will clearly shake your belief though, in what is shaping up to be the worst government, not to say unaccountable in living memory. Well along with the Howard lot.

The asylum seekers have stopped arriving in Indonesia as their first stop before getting on a boat to Australia.

This may enable us to increase our intake of legitimate refugees waiting in refugee camps for settlemtent, if we don't have to deal with so many illegal arrivals by boat.

So very good news for Australia, Indonesia and all the legitimate refugees who have been waiting in camps to be processed.

No they are still coming but at reduced rates to Indonesia. Indonesia does not feel it a win/win having refugees returned by Australian intrusion into their waters, nor delivery by specially purchased lifeboats. Indeed Indonesia has moved ships into the area to keep intruders out.

This government has reduced the numbers of folk been accepted under the program. As such it is unlikely to increase the numbers. In fact Australia's intake of Syrian refugees at some 500 is very low compared to other countries.

It's good news for muppets who believe what they hear on 2GB. The rest of Australia and Indonesia knows the real story, in particular the Indonesian official talking live yesterday on Australia's 'boat policy' really knows. Talk about gullible!

Is the terrible mistreatment, indefinite holding, death, and cost to tax payers, worth it for a total to date of approximately 6,700 asylum seekers? Have you ever considered why this has become such an issue? Take a look at who owns these detention centers and how much profit they make from tax payers, and you might find an answer.

Here is an interesting article on the business of immigration detention. http://www.nytimes.com/2011/09/29/world/asia/getting-tough-on-immigrants-to-turn-a-profit.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0

Edited by Movetoaus

Couple of questions

What is the Value ( in dollar terms) of each of the lifeboats that refugees are put into and returned to Indonesia in and Indonesia are then allowed to keep ?

Once we run short of life boats will the govenment simply "buy more" to give away to indonesia ?

What happens to the life boats ? Could they not simply provide a far safer way for refugees to travel to Australia once the storm season ends ?

As stated by another member, we dont know if the boats have stopped or been reduced because just about everything done by the current government that could be critisised is kept under wraps.

I have never before felt the slightest bit political. When I was in the UK I just voted for whoever smiled at me as I went into the polling office. When I first got here, ten years ago, I couldn't tell you who was Prime Minister, or what party was in power. If I considered myself anything it was probably middle class and conservative with a small 'c'.

Tony Abbott's government has changed this. Never have I seen a party or a group of politicians so blatantly biased towards their rich mates, so obviously manipulated by big business and people such as Murdoch and Gina Reinhardt, so out of touch with thinking in the rest of the developed world, so laughed at by commentators internationally, with such an inflated idea of their own importance in the world, but with such disregard to what the general populace of Australia needs for their economic and social wellbeing (such as jobs, health, a future, equality, compassion). I feel like this country is becoming more and more like a dictatorship, where we the public are only allowed to know what they deem we should, and anyone that tries to tell us more is silenced - it feels a bit like we're living in Russia sometimes.

I admit I try hard not to think about what this government is doing, as sometimes it makes me feel quite ill and very very sad. Stopping some poor ba$tards from being able to escape from oppression and torture, and then gloating about it, does not make me feel I am living in a compassionate society.

When one considers is Abbott really in touch with the general population, I have to say his visit to the drought ravaged parts of Australia a few days ago said it all. Not a blade of grass on the ground, starving cattle and what does he ask - ( cant remember the exact words but to the effect) whats the situation like out here ? Open your eyes abbott, come down from your ivory tower and join the rest of the population who are finding life very difficult. Jobs are disappearing on a weekly basis, kids and single mums are living below the poverty line, farmers are committing suicide as they cant compete with overseas food being brought into Australia from countries where you are lucky to earn $2 a week.

I have never before felt the slightest bit political. When I was in the UK I just voted for whoever smiled at me as I went into the polling office. When I first got here, ten years ago, I couldn't tell you who was Prime Minister, or what party was in power. If I considered myself anything it was probably middle class and conservative with a small 'c'.

Tony Abbott's government has changed this. Never have I seen a party or a group of politicians so blatantly biased towards their rich mates, so obviously manipulated by big business and people such as Murdoch and Gina Reinhardt, so out of touch with thinking in the rest of the developed world, so laughed at by commentators internationally, with such an inflated idea of their own importance in the world, but with such disregard to what the general populace of Australia needs for their economic and social wellbeing (such as jobs, health, a future, equality, compassion). I feel like this country is becoming more and more like a dictatorship, where we the public are only allowed to know what they deem we should, and anyone that tries to tell us more is silenced - it feels a bit like we're living in Russia sometimes.

I admit I try hard not to think about what this government is doing, as sometimes it makes me feel quite ill and very very sad. Stopping some poor ba$tards from being able to escape from oppression and torture, and then gloating about it, does not make me feel I am living in a compassionate society.

I'm no big fan of TA, and I still recall his interview after he came back from Afghanistan where he gave no reply to the journalist, just a blank look on his face and a blank feeling in his head ("Tony. Tony, you're not speaking....."), BUT

I'm quite curious as to where you're getting your data here. You've gone form having no interest to seemingly being well-informed.

>>Never have I seen a party or a group of politicians so blatantly biased towards their rich mates, so obviously manipulated by big business and people such as Murdoch and Gina Reinhardt

Where is the obvious manipulation. How did you discover this?

>>.....jobs, health, a future, equality, compassion

It may come as a surprise, but the govt cannot create jobs. Or better said, the govt cannot create wealth, or surplus, which leads to jobs. All it can do is try to encourage other people and organisations to do this them tax them.

As for health, Australia sits (literally) on the precipice of obesity oblivion. If something isn't done we'll overtake the US. At least TA takes his own health seriously. He obviously knows the value of exercise.

If you really think we're living in a dictatorship, you need to speak to someone who has endured such a regime. Then you can compare notes.

When one considers is Abbott really in touch with the general population, I have to say his visit to the drought ravaged parts of Australia a few days ago said it all. Not a blade of grass on the ground, starving cattle ...

When it comes to the plight of rural and remote Australia, the general population is out of touch with their countrymen. 95% of Australians are urbanised. They haven't got a clue how to get milk out of a cow or when you're supposed to plant wheat, or how much water does a chicken drink every day.

In this sense, TA does indeed represent the ordinary average Australian.

It's very sad because there is a wealth of natural history inland, but very very few people get to experience it.

And when it comes to deciding between cheap overseas produce, or home grown, the public is the ultimate arbiter, not the govt.

Couple of questions

What is the Value ( in dollar terms) of each of the lifeboats that refugees are put into and returned to Indonesia in and Indonesia are then allowed to keep ?

Once we run short of life boats will the govenment simply "buy more" to give away to indonesia ?

What happens to the life boats ? Could they not simply provide a far safer way for refugees to travel to Australia once the storm season ends ?

As stated by another member, we dont know if the boats have stopped or been reduced because just about everything done by the current government that could be critisised is kept under wraps.

I'm actually surprised that the Indonesian side is yet to make use of the boats. I mean in the form of returning the asylum seekers to Australian waters for starters.

I did hear something in the nature of $170,000 per life boat. But don't hold me to that.

Just great - lock them up indefinitely who cares about human rights. Meanwhile Australia is going down the drain - but at least we stopped the boats.

Of course the boats and asylum seekers are easy scape goats to pick on and slander as foreign invaders. Meanwhile the damage that is really being inflicted on society by foreign house investors is supported by government and banks, contributing to putting real estate out of reach of most in Sydney and to a lesser extent Melbourne, continues unabated.

This would not be accepted in Asia. Why is it encouraged here?

Didnt they just stop reporting on the Boats coming in?

makes me laugh, there are 20 times the amount coming in but then not going home on planes. I think if the effort to come in via a dodgy boat then they earned it.

Of course the boats and asylum seekers are easy scape goats to pick on and slander as foreign invaders. Meanwhile the damage that is really being inflicted on society by foreign house investors is supported by government and banks, contributing to putting real estate out of reach of most in Sydney and to a lesser extent Melbourne, continues unabated.

This would not be accepted in Asia. Why is it encouraged here?

Although real estate is becoming beyond many Australian in the metro areas and i agree this needs to be looked at very rapidly, my concern is for the vast expances of land that are being sold off to overseas countries. Land that in the main is either, rich in minerals or highly productive from an agricultural perspective. There is no doubt population is growing at an ever increasing rate in places like China and India. Buying up "our" land ensures an alternative food source should these countires have a natural disaster or similar. The selling off our land must stop. A lease system of say 50 years could be considered providing clauses are included that should there be a catastrophi of some kind Australia has the right to take back that land.