Tony Abbott has done it. He has stopped the boats.

Parley

Interesting to see a huge Liberal win in Tasmania.

No evidence of anti-Lib backlash as some here have been talking up.

I'd say that's because Tony Abbott is giving most Australians what they want on the subject of asylum-seekers arriving by boat. I read somewhere recently that 70% of your country-folk want your government to be even harsher in it's treatment of asylum-seekers, so him and Scott Morrison are certainly delivering on that score. Those of us who'd like to see the Australian government adopt a more humane approach are a definite minority, although it's heartening to see that via campaigns like 'March in March' that we're still able to register our distaste for this government.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'd say that's because Tony Abbott is giving most Australians what they want on the subject of asylum-seekers arriving by boat. I read somewhere recently that 70% of your country-folk want your government to be even harsher in it's treatment of asylum-seekers, so him and Scott Morrison are certainly delivering on that score. Those of us who'd like to see the Australian government adopt a more humane approach are a definite minority, although it's heartening to see that via campaigns like 'March in March' that we're still able to register our distaste for this government.

Harsher in what way? I don't think that 70% of Aussies would want people treated harshly in a violent way, do you?

Harsher in what way? I don't think that 70% of Aussies would want people treated harshly in a violent way, do you?

I don't know, I mean, you know your countryfolk better than me. I would hope that people aren't suggesting that the R.A.N. torpedo the boats or something, but personally I found the line "A strong majority of Australians, 60 per cent, also want the Abbott government to “increase the severity of the treatment of asylum seekers" a bit chilling.

Interesting to see a huge Liberal win in Tasmania.

No evidence of anti-Lib backlash as some here have been talking up.

Nothing interesting. Tasmania remains a basket case with a difficult economy to kick start. After 16 years the time for change factor kicked in. Of far more interest of course is that SA went against expectations based on polls and looks like retaining an ALP state government. Abbott's visit to that state recently is said to have done no good for his state colleague's chances.

[/b]

I don't know, I mean, you know your countryfolk better than me. I would hope that people aren't suggesting that the R.A.N. torpedo the boats or something, but personally I found the line "A strong majority of Australians, 60 per cent, also want the Abbott government to “increase the severity of the treatment of asylum seekers" a bit chilling.

Not a good look that 60% of the population are alleged to want tougher conditions. I blame both political parties in their demonising the asylum seekers in choice of words. Still there is an element out there of considerable proportion that could easily bring to the fore a very ugly side of politics if conditions were in place to fertilise it.

I was looking at the figures for arrivals by boat over the past few years - 148 and 161 in 2007 and 2008, 2,726, 2009, 6555 in 2010, 4,565 in 2011, 17,202 in 2012, and 13,108 in the first six months of 2013.

Interestingly, Australians have always been positive towards settlement of refugees under Australia's Humanitarian Program, but not towards 'boat people.'

Perhaps, Australia should have just transferred all the boat people figures to the Humanitarian Program, and solved the problem?

Perhaps, Australia should have just transferred all the boat people figures to the Humanitarian Program, and solved the problem?

Is that not what labor did over the last few years? the boat people filled most of the humanitarian quota while genuine refugees in UNCHR camps missed out.

I rest my case laughable......

Too easy to hide behind a alleged position. Anyhow my comments are bang on the mark. Don't see what immigration would have to disclose. Besides personal opinions. Hardly front line detention centre stuff. Any thoughts on policy? Any thoughts on how the system can be run in an appropriate manner?

I was looking at the figures for arrivals by boat over the past few years - 148 and 161 in 2007 and 2008, 2,726, 2009, 6555 in 2010, 4,565 in 2011, 17,202 in 2012, and 13,108 in the first six months of 2013.

Interestingly, Australians have always been positive towards settlement of refugees under Australia's Humanitarian Program, but not towards 'boat people.'

Australia did transfer to humanitarian program. The increased intake of over 6,000 under ALP factored in those that came by boat. If language not used to demonise refugees, the average person would have little knowledge on the matter or numbers involved.

Not one to rest on his laurels, Tony Abbott has announced Australia will be buying drones from the US to aid in protecting our borders.

These drones can stay in the air for up to 33 hours and can monitor our huge ocean expanses.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-26541651

Quite probably the blow out in costs to Australia dwarfs any other country anywhere.

Not one to rest on his laurels, Tony Abbott has announced Australia will be buying drones from the US to aid in protecting our borders.

These drones can stay in the air for up to 33 hours and can monitor our huge ocean expanses.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-26541651

I believe they are replacing the ageing surveillance planes, p 3 orion, as well with the new ones based on the 737.

When I read this, I'm not sure if we are wrong in turning back the boats.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-03-17/passengers-describe-drama-of-turning-asylum-seeker/5326978

GEORGE ROBERTS: "After Arash Sedigh was refused entry to Australia through the skilled migration program, they came to Indonesia to apply for resettlement as refugees, but gave up waiting and turned to people smugglers."

Nearly a week of silence...........I can feel the pain of those who hate Tony. And it's the abc reporting......et tu brute.....

He's too busy trying to hide after saying he'd found that aeroplane, when he bloody hadn't. I notice he put his Deputy out today to face the music....couple of morons they are.

Where was Tony...in PNG visiting a war grave which he said was "awesome", and he was "in awe"...whereupon he reached the limit of his vocabulary. Honestly, I'm convinced we'll discover he bribed his way into that Rhodes scholarship one day.

He's too busy trying to hide after saying he'd found that aeroplane, when he bloody hadn't. I notice he put his Deputy out today to face the music....couple of morons they are.

Where was Tony...in PNG visiting a war grave which he said was "awesome", and he was "in awe"...whereupon he reached the limit of his vocabulary. Honestly, I'm convinced we'll discover he bribed his way into that Rhodes scholarship one day.

Did he say 'he'd found the aeroplane did he?

Some people really show their bigotry and ignorance don't they ? (guess who I'm referring to ?

Did he say 'he'd found the aeroplane did he?

Well, Inmarsat found the data that showed the plane had changed course, passed it to Malaysia who didn't even change the search area for 4 days, by which time Inmarsat had discreetly passed the data to the UK Government as well, who've been working on it for a week. They share a lot of signals with the Aussies here in Canberra who were able to hit the ground running as soon as the search started.

There's no way Abbott's lot found that 24m piece of debris in an 8 million square kilometre search area, he doesn't even know where his own warships are remember.

The silly thing was trying to claim credit before they'd sent a plane up, it's done nothing for the families and an attempt to get some good PR on the back other peoples data looks like it's backfired. Man's a buffoon.

Archived